Author Topic: Alesi forge module with dual zone mesh and toms  (Read 624 times)

Alesi forge module with dual zone mesh and toms
« on: March 08, 2023, 08:19:52 AM »
Hello happy to find you all.

I am new to drums

Basically i do all the research for my 8years son that started learning and he likes it a lot. So i thought of buying him a set to practise at home. Always being more on the DIY stuff i started reading and learning e drums differences etc.

I can get my hands on a almost new Alesi forge kit for 250e. what i would like to ask is if it is possible later to upgrade it to dual zone Mesh snare and toms as i see the module  (Medeli DD650) is same with upgrades models like command and other models.
I somewhere read @Chaser that has searched it a lot and there is no firmware upgrade that can be done to support parts from the other kits with mesh pads.
Is there any new if you could ask Medeli for firmware or any other way to do it?

Bill

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesi forge module with dual zone mesh and toms
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 08:49:44 PM »
Hello happy to find you all.

I am new to drums

Basically i do all the research for my 8years son that started learning and he likes it a lot. So i thought of buying him a set to practise at home. Always being more on the DIY stuff i started reading and learning e drums differences etc.

I can get my hands on a almost new Alesi forge kit for 250e. what i would like to ask is if it is possible later to upgrade it to dual zone Mesh snare and toms as i see the module  (Medeli DD650) is same with upgrades models like command and other models.
I somewhere read @Chaser that has searched it a lot and there is no firmware upgrade that can be done to support parts from the other kits with mesh pads.
Is there any new if you could ask Medeli for firmware or any other way to do it?

Bill

Welcome to the Forum !

Medeli manufactures (30+ drum modules) and licenses drum modules..they have never nor will ever breach the license agreement..
Alesis license of the DD650 included (5) versions of the firmware with the marketing aimed intentionally for upgrading or more features meant purchasing a new module/hardware..or complete kit.All this did was cause a lot of confusion in the marketplace so nearly all DD650 versions have been discontinued except for the (2) Command Mesh Kits..Standard and SE.
You will find no information in the Legacy section or Knowledge base on the Alesis site except for the Crimson/II and a FAQ page for the DM10 MKII Studio.The Forge has been completely removed from both.Information for all the other kits can only be found on this site.

The DD650 modules are all the same and use the same harness with the Forge being at the bottom/least expensive (single zone only)...multiple versions of the Command kits (Dual zone with single zone/single cable Ride) and the DM10 MKII Studio/Crimson/Crimson II which feature dual zone support and 3 zone single cable ride.The difference being MIDI mapping.
Alesis has never released any firmware for Medeli modules (and never will).If there is/was a firmware related issue or Module failure you were required to return the module.
Medeli has released only 1 fix in the last 10+ years and that was a required fix for the "Original" DM6.

The Forge kit is at a cheap price because the module only has single zone support and more than likely the old DM7X single zone rubber pads and 10" cymbals
You will find those on ebay trying to sell the module at a Premium (because they unwittingly paid a Premium) to those who are new to e-drumming and don't realize it only supports single zone but I don't recommend (stated in a number of posts) the Forge unless you can get it ridiculously cheap and are OK with single zone as it can never be upgraded..a few dollars more gets you into the range of New Mesh Dual Zone kits.

Re: Alesi forge module with dual zone mesh and toms
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 03:03:16 AM »
So not upgradable to mesh tom and mesh snare..
I have seen at ebay several eprom with firmware from medeli. I think i could extract firmware from a dd650 newer generation if i could have access. as i am an electronic tech with eprom reader and then write it to a new chip and install it to forge module. Problem is where to find one.