Author Topic: Strike Pro SE snare rim trigger issue  (Read 1089 times)

Strike Pro SE snare rim trigger issue
« on: February 02, 2023, 09:41:34 AM »
I recently bought a Strike Pro SE snare (it's actually a tom, but it's identical to the snare expect for the tom mount). I use it with my Strike module. It's quite nice to play the head. However, the rim trigger is very inconsistent - it's very sensitive to how and where the rim is hit.

I also find that it can't do a proper rim-shot as the edge and head triggers seems to be mutually exclusive (a known issue). Attempting it will usually trigger the rim and not the head. This is becoming an exasperating limitation.

Another issue is that when playing unison the hit(s) get cancelled out much of the time. Yes, not much point on an e-kit, but still important for practicing and maintaining technique. This could be down the physics of the mesh somehow creating a phase cancellation as the different foam pickups gets opposite transients(?)

I've been reading a bit, and have seen this thread on Strike module limitations. I'd add independent (or intelligently handled) head/rim triggers to that list.

Now to my point, is there anything that can be done about improving the rim trigger? Some modifications, like e.g. moving the rim piezo to the side shell?

Also, have anyone solved the cancelled-sound-with-unison issue?

Edit: Having read some more, it seems that the Strike module is indeed compromised when it comes to the rim trigger. E.g. digitalDrummer's tests of pads reveal that the Strike's handling of the rim is not good "weak and inconsistent" is s much used characterization. It's certainly questionable when their own premium snare don't give good results either.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 05:32:52 AM by DrJustice »

Re: Strike Pro SE snare rim trigger issue
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 11:41:48 AM »
My solution to this would be to buy an edrumin 4.  They aren't too much and they trigger great!  I use it on my strike kit and I can do rimshots with no problem.  I have my edrumin send a midi note to the "hidden" second bass drum to trigger a rim shot sound, but you can just have it trigger your rim sound if you'd like.  I also use the edrumin to trigger my hihat and get MUCH better performance that what the module does natively.  Its very easy to set this all up if you have a laptop or computer close by

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 09:42:43 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion, thebigz!

I'll look into that. Might be a way to solve the cymbal issues too, but I'm vary of the added latency with a MIDI bridge. How do you experience the latency with that setup? 

Ultimately, I'll be dropping Alesis and moving on to "greener pastures" (Roland!), but something like that could be an interim solution.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 11:55:15 AM »
Funny, cause I left Roland for the greener pastures of the Strike and have absolutely 0 regrets.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any latency at all.  I don't know how to measure it, but everything sounds great to my ears (I use module sounds, no vst).