Author Topic: Rotary dial stoped working  (Read 784 times)

Rotary dial stoped working
« on: September 30, 2022, 02:08:16 PM »
For some reason rotary dial on strike module stopped working. I have not used drums in 3 months. Started today, and cant make it work, all other buttons are working fine. This is 6 month old unit. Any suggestions?

Offline Chaser

Re: Rotary dial stoped working
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 06:59:25 PM »
For some reason rotary dial on strike module stopped working. I have not used drums in 3 months. Started today, and cant make it work, all other buttons are working fine. This is 6 month old unit. Any suggestions?

Did you have it plugged in/connected to power for that period of time?

Backup your Trigger settings if you want to keep them...

Under UTILITY
SysEx
To send all trigger settings from the module as a SysEx file (over the USB port and MIDI Out), press Enter.
To send a SysEx file to the module (over the USB port and MIDI In), send it any time from your computer or external MIDI device.

then perform a Factory Reset/Restore

Factory Reset / Restore Defaults
To reset to the default settings in Trigger Mode and in the Utility menu, press and hold the Stop and Enter buttons while powering on the Strike Module

If that fails try reinstalling the firmware...

Strike Performance Drum Module - Firmware and Content Update v1.5 (MAC)

Strike Performance Drum Module - Firmware and Content Update v1.5 (WIN)

If neither the Factory reset or the Firmware reinstall does not work , and if it's under warranty (6 months old) depending on how purchased you can contact either the Dealer/Retailer or Alesis Support and open a New Support Ticket and enter you have tried the above and it didn't resolve it.
This will save multiple back/forth emails...if purchased used (no warranty) etc that's a different situation.

Strike Pro Performance Drum Module - User Guide v1.5

Strike Pro Special Edition - Module User Guide V1.0

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:28:17 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 07:44:32 AM »
Module was turned off for all this time. I did factory reset, I will try now firmware restore

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 09:21:48 AM »
Module was turned off for all this time. I did factory reset, I will try now firmware restore

Not just turned off...was it also unplugged.
If left plugged in for long periods of time damage can occur as the main board has "constant" power connected to it.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 08:50:46 AM »
Yes, it was fully unplugged from the power source.  I did full factory reset, and no difference. Looks like dial has died, which is really strange on 6 month old equipment.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 10:03:14 AM »
Yes, it was fully unplugged from the power source.  I did full factory reset, and no difference. Looks like dial has died, which is really strange on 6 month old equipment.

This is a tough one. Again like Chaser stated "if it's under warranty (6 months old) depending on how purchased you can contact either the Dealer/Retailer or Alesis Support and open a New Support Ticket"

With that stated I was wondering, while your module was in storage did you have anything sitting on top the module (meaning pushing up against) the Rotary dial?

IMHO, if this happened to me [and I'm not telling to do this and if you do you assume all risk] (sorry I have to say that) I would most likely try either pulling on the dial slightly or pushing/thumping on the dial slightly just in case it was something simple like a slightly dislodged dial encoder.

The only other thing I can think of is (and I know this is a stretch) are you using the original power supply with the module? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I seen some pretty weird things with Alesis modules over the years and many times it tuned out to be a power supply issue (i.e. not using the original power supply). And I'm speaking of issues with the module that didn't seem like power supply issues.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 11:22:17 AM »
 I have been monitoring the web on occasion to see if any main board failures etc have come up ..There have been a few reported on Reddit and not related to being left plugged in but also the outputs stopped working/low volume headphones (which was a problem when STRIKE was first released) because of the main board failure.

Alesis Strike Module Issue

There have also been the Data Dial/Rotary encoder issues/failures..
One user on Reddit opened his up and disconnected/reconnected the connectors and "percussive maintenance"  the issue went away.
I don't recommend "percussive maintenance" (even tho I have done it many times myself) for those not familiar with electronics especially if under warranty..but sometimes people get lucky

Alesis Strike Pro SE Drum Module Problems

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 12:36:34 PM by Chaser »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
I have been monitoring the web on occasion to see if any main board failures etc have come up ..There have been a few reported on Reddit and not related to being left plugged in but also the outputs stopped working/low volume headphones (which was a problem when STRIKE was first released) because of the main board failure.

Man, I'm familiar with this one. This was actually a major issue when the Strike kit first released. My module was dead on arrival. No joke! and I was one of the first to get a kit. I was on the wait list for just under a year. Finally got the kit the first week of release and it didn't work.  >:(  And the problems snowballed from there. That's why I never did a review of the kit. It didn't last long enough to do a review.  :(

In all fairness many people like the kit now and the newer SE version fixed a lot of issues with the original kit, but the original Strike kit was a stinker. Worst $2500.00 I've ever spent.  ::) [yep, I'm still feeling that burn]

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 01:04:51 PM »

Man, I'm familiar with this one. This was actually a major issue when the Strike kit first released. My module was dead on arrival. No joke! and I was one of the first to get a kit. I was on the wait list for just under a year. Finally got the kit the first week of release and it didn't work.  >:(  And the problems snowballed from there. That's why I never did a review of the kit. It didn't last long enough to do a review.  :(

In all fairness many people like the kit now and the newer SE version fixed a lot of issues with the original kit, but the original Strike kit was a stinker. Worst $2500.00 I've ever spent.  ::) [yep, I'm still feeling that burn]

I still haven't repaired the module I had burn up with a new main board ($270.00)..still annoyed about that one.
I purchased and registered 3 kits in my accounts along with a long list of products which I am sure helped send a few kids to college ..lol

They checked my account when I had the board issue/support ticket , but after checking none of the kits were under warranty I received the "we accept visa etc etc".
Since I still have the module (may end up being a parts donor) I checked the encoder setup...if familiar with the module it's around a 10-15 min job (start to finish) and accessible from the bottom with the exception of the Encoder knob/nut/washer  and most important..the Encoder is separate and not part of the main board but you do have to remove the main board and small headphone board (if it has the red wire..which is soldered point to point)) so if your careful you don't need to remove all the ribbons and can move the main board out of the way.You do not need to remove all the other boards to access the encoder.

If the module is out of warranty and the OP is handy with electronics the Data Dial Encoder pt# is LDM9-ENCODE V03..check with Alesis and order/replace yourself..or inquire at Instrumental Parts they sometimes have the smaller pieces.. just not listed on the site.

EDIT:
Added pics
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:12:56 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 02:28:17 PM »
Since I'm in Europe, and kit was bought in Canada about 6 months ago, I took it to a service center here, and turns out it was not something simple as rotary dial replacement. It actually needs motherboard replacement. I'm out of luck, and very disappointed.

To answer the rest of the questions: Nothing was pushed against the dial button. It was packed and stored in the original packaging for about 6 months.
Everything else works except dial

Offline AlanK

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 12:21:10 PM »
I don't have the Strike, but does it also have up and down buttons as an option like my DM10? I mean, as a backup plan
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 01:04:45 PM »
I don't have the Strike, but does it also have up and down buttons as an option like my DM10? I mean, as a backup plan

You can use the Cursor pad to scroll through and "select".. Kit's (List).. Voices..Instruments etc,..you can use Note Chase to change Triggers..but you can't scroll through the Triggers or change any of the levels/settings..all the knobs on the menu screens are tied to the encoder.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 01:20:04 PM by Chaser »