Author Topic: DM10 MKII Power Adapter  (Read 794 times)

DM10 MKII Power Adapter
« on: September 14, 2022, 07:04:51 AM »
Hi

I have lost the power adapter for my DM10 MKII and I?m struggling to find a replacement adapter or the power rating of what it should be. On the forum I can only find posts referring to the MKI.

I have tried a MKI spec adapter and it powered on, however there was no sound, even though I could see the pads being triggered.

I have messaged Alesis/inmusic just over a week ago and haven?t had anything back.

Can anyone please help? I am UK based.

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 07:12:06 AM by snooze »

Offline Hellfire

Re: DM10 MKII Power Adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 08:10:47 AM »
Hi

I have lost the power adapter for my DM10 MKII and I?m struggling to find a replacement adapter or the power rating of what it should be. On the forum I can only find posts referring to the MKI.

I have tried a MKI spec adapter and it powered on, however there was no sound, even though I could see the pads being triggered.

I have messaged Alesis/inmusic just over a week ago and haven?t had anything back.

Can anyone please help? I am UK based.

Thank you

From what I can tell you just need a power adapter that outputs 9 volts DC (positive center) @ 500 mA. Now the Amp rating can be higher, but not lower. And the output volt rating must be 9 Volts DC. Have you tried Amazon?

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 11:47:33 AM »

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 12:19:47 PM »
I?m hoping that none of those have blown the module.  :'(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 01:01:28 PM »
Hellfire posted the correct requirements for the adapter..

From what I can tell you just need a power adapter that outputs 9 volts DC (positive center) @ 500 mA. Now the Amp rating can be higher, but not lower. And the output volt rating must be 9 Volts DC. Have you tried Amazon?

The Original DM10 uses an AC-AC adapter...The DM10 MKII Pro or DM10 MKII Studio use..AC-DC..

The Power requirement is listed in the manual/User Guide in the product downloads on the Alesis site.

DM10 MKII Pro User Guide v1.0 pg 78

You should have just contacted a seller and stated

"I need 9 volts DC (positive center) @ 500 mA.
The Amp rating can be higher, but not lower but the output volt rating must be 9 Volts DC...CENTER-POSITIVE "

2 out of the 3 you purchased are AC-AC...the adapter needs to be AC-DC..9 VOLT DC OUTPUT.

The DC power adapter you purchased is Center NEGATIVE..It must be Center-POSITIVE.
You connected Positive (Power) to Ground and usually very bad things happen..
It's a dangerous game to just buy power adapters until you find one that works.....hopefully you got lucky and didn't damage the module.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 01:30:17 PM »
Thank you very much both.

I missed the center negative on the adapter I purchased from amazon, that was the one I purchase after hellfire responded.

I have just purchased a center positive one which is coming tomorrow, hopefully it still works.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »
I understand all to well the problem with power adapter/supplies..even correct ones for a module that doesn't have a dedicated power switch.
I had a STRIKE module on my Studio Desk so I wouldn't have to disconnect/run back and forth to the kit while constructing samples/kits for it.
In my Studio setup I have high end gear and so I use high end protection including an Uninterrupted Power Supply to prevent voltage spikes/surges (lightning etc etc) from destroying any of the sensitive equipment..
Unfortunately the STRIKE module does not have a dedicated on/off switch so just by having it plugged in for a long period of time and with the setup I have it was guaranteed to never shut off...it failed/burned up just sitting..
So by having all the protection in place..I actually destroyed it..

STRIKE MODULE FAILURE

Modern electronics that are sold internationally sometimes have a fail safe in case of users accidentally using the wrong polarity.
Medeli modules have been know to have a Polarity Diode...so if you didn't get a fire/smoke from the module when you plugged in the power adapter/supply with the opposite polarity it may have just popped it.
You won't know until you get the correct power adapter/supply which you'll need to have anyway.
If that's the case you'll have to take to a shop and explain you used a power supply with reverse polarity..
Older electronics you would have had a strong burn smell..smoke and possibly a fire..

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 05:41:26 AM »
It?s working, I didn?t damage it  ;D

Thanks guys  8)