Author Topic: DM10 mkii pro (with drum VST) not triggering properly when recording into DAW  (Read 446 times)

The drummer in my band has an Alesis e-kit (DM10 mkii Pro) which he uses for rehearsals and recording. We record into Cubase 12 Pro and usually use a drum VST such as Steve Slater Drums. We have the e-kit connected to a Windows 10 laptop via USB Midi. Everything else we record is connected to the laptop via a Behringer XR18 mixer/interface.

Recently something odd has occurred - the e-kit triggers the drum sounds from Steven Slater Drums perfectly fine when we're not recording. But as soon as we hit 'record' in Cubase, sometimes there are a few issues where the drum sounds won't trigger properly, especially during faster drum fills. Any ideas what is going on here, and how we can solve it?

I've got the buffer setting in Cubase set to 128 samples. I lowered it to 16 samples, and it was maybe a bit better but still not always triggering the drums 100% when recording. At 8 samples, the sound started to sound corrupted, so I had to make it higher.

Generally I record at 24 bit / 48kHz. The input latency in Cubase is around 4.1 ms, and the output latency is around 4.5 ms.

The laptop is a pretty decent speed and spec, so I don't think it's the speed of the computer that's causing these issues. But maybe it could be, I don't know? We still get issues triggering during recording the e-kit even in a fresh Cubase project with just 1 track, so it can't be caused by having too many tracks in a project taking up too much CPU power. The specs of the laptop are as follows btw:

HP Envy Beats edition with Windows 10 Home (version 22H2)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz 2.40
Ram: 16gb

The computer has 2 disc drives - one is SSD (222 with 13.3GB currently free), the other is HDD (931GB with 841GB currently free).

I had to install Cubase Pro and Steven Slater Drums to the HDD drive as the other drive was running out of space. Do you think it makes any difference in speed of triggering and latency with software installed on the HDD drive as opposed to the SSD drive? I don't get any other problems with latency on the HDD drive - audio, keyboard VSTs etc all work fine and with decent speed.

Offline Chaser

The drummer in my band has an Alesis e-kit (DM10 mkii Pro) which he uses for rehearsals and recording. We record into Cubase 12 Pro and usually use a drum VST such as Steve Slater Drums. We have the e-kit connected to a Windows 10 laptop via USB Midi. Everything else we record is connected to the laptop via a Behringer XR18 mixer/interface.

Recently something odd has occurred - the e-kit triggers the drum sounds from Steven Slater Drums perfectly fine when we're not recording. But as soon as we hit 'record' in Cubase, sometimes there are a few issues where the drum sounds won't trigger properly, especially during faster drum fills. Any ideas what is going on here, and how we can solve it?

I've got the buffer setting in Cubase set to 128 samples. I lowered it to 16 samples, and it was maybe a bit better but still not always triggering the drums 100% when recording. At 8 samples, the sound started to sound corrupted, so I had to make it higher.

Generally I record at 24 bit / 48kHz. The input latency in Cubase is around 4.1 ms, and the output latency is around 4.5 ms.

The laptop is a pretty decent speed and spec, so I don't think it's the speed of the computer that's causing these issues. But maybe it could be, I don't know? We still get issues triggering during recording the e-kit even in a fresh Cubase project with just 1 track, so it can't be caused by having too many tracks in a project taking up too much CPU power. The specs of the laptop are as follows btw:

HP Envy Beats edition with Windows 10 Home (version 22H2)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz 2.40
Ram: 16gb

The computer has 2 disc drives - one is SSD (222 with 13.3GB currently free), the other is HDD (931GB with 841GB currently free).

I had to install Cubase Pro and Steven Slater Drums to the HDD drive as the other drive was running out of space. Do you think it makes any difference in speed of triggering and latency with software installed on the HDD drive as opposed to the SSD drive? I don't get any other problems with latency on the HDD drive - audio, keyboard VSTs etc all work fine and with decent speed.

I don't use Cubase..haven't for a lot of years and recorded everyones MIDI with a MIDI patch bay to a single track then "Dissolved" to multiple MIDI tracks so not much help with that other than those I know that still use Cubase tend to record the MIDI performance for Drums with Groove Agent then use the performance with Vst later on.
Since you are using the XR18 as the interface have you tried using the 5 PIN Din from the module to the XR18 ? Set to USB-DIN Pass Thru and select in Cubase as the MIDI controller..
I know there are a lot of XR18 users annoyed right now as the iPad app hasn't worked since iOS 16 was released.
Also..FWIW most don't know the DM10 MKII Pro can record a MIDI performance (Type 0 <480ppq) and that can be saved as a User Song to the USB Flash Drive..

As far as DAW installation...programs etc should go on the primary..projects,libraries etc should go on external or secondary...13GB on the Primary is getting extremely low ..as a rule you should consider a drive full at 80% to have enough free space for the OS etc to function properly....you are well over that.

have you tried using the 5 PIN Din from the module to the XR18 ?

I haven't tried using the 5 PIN Din MIDI connection instead of the USB MIDI - will it be faster do you think?

Set to USB-DIN Pass Thru and select in Cubase as the MIDI controller..

Is this setting on the DM10 mkii Pro, or in Cubase or the XR18 (in Mixing Station app)?

I know there are a lot of XR18 users annoyed right now as the iPad app hasn't worked since iOS 16 was released.

Fortunately the excellent Mixing Station app solves this problem, plus it's far superior to Behringer's own app!

Also..FWIW most don't know the DM10 MKII Pro can record a MIDI performance (Type 0 <480ppq) and that can be saved as a User Song to the USB Flash Drive..

I did not know this. Can it record MIDI data to the USB Flash Drive while using a drum VST on a laptop? But why would you want to record MIDI data onto the flash drive instead of directly into a DAW?

As far as DAW installation...programs etc should go on the primary..projects,libraries etc should go on external or secondary...13GB on the Primary is getting extremely low ..as a rule you should consider a drive full at 80% to have enough free space for the OS etc to function properly....you are well over that.

Yeah I DO need to free up some space on my primary drive, or upgrade to a bigger drive. Cubase 12 Pro runs fine on the HDD drive though. If I ever upgrade my computer, I'll reinstall it on the SSD drive. As a side note, I have an older version of Cubase installed on the SSD drive currently. I'd like to uninstall it, but most of my third party VSTs are in the Steinberg folder in the Program Files directory, so I'm worried I'll lose these if I unistall the older version. Is there any way round this?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 08:44:16 PM by nksoloproject »

I also heard that I need to have 'local' turned off in the drum module MIDI settings. Is this correct? I don't even know what 'local' means when it comes to MIDI settings.

Offline Chaser

I haven't tried using the 5 PIN Din MIDI connection instead of the USB MIDI - will it be faster do you think?

Using 5 pin Din means not using additional drivers/conversion from the module you are using the XR18 as the interface so you need to allow the 5 Pin DIN MIDI to pass to USB..you would be using the XR18 as the Audio and MIDI device.Class Compliant Drivers use the older USB1.1

Is this setting on the DM10 mkii Pro, or in Cubase or the XR18 (in Mixing Station app)?

XR18  APP

I did not know this. Can it record MIDI data to the USB Flash Drive while using a drum VST on a laptop? But why would you want to record MIDI data onto the flash drive instead of directly into a DAW?

I don't believe you can record MIDI to the USB Flash drive from an external DAW/Vst..it's a drum module... not a workstation.
The module can play MIDI files (Type 0 <480ppq) if they are mapped to the modules MIDI .I have been developing a MIDI Player that sends MIDI files directly to hardware including DMX commands for lighting and I use it on the STRIKE module  (which doesn't record MIDI)  and DD650 modules (Crimson,II,Command) but I haven't used it with the DM10 MKII Pro yet so I can't say for sure if the MIDI will pass thru with Local Control OFF(which shuts off the internal sound generator) and recording incoming MIDI which seems redundant as you can just create the MIDI file in a DAW.
The majority of modules that even allow MIDI recording is onboard only using the modules memory and don't allow you to transfer it so it's a feature most modules don't have.
The drummer records his performance and you take the USB with the MIDI Performance file and use it in the DAW just like any MIDI file..drummer doesn't have to be in the Studio and can email/send the MIDI performance then you assingn/use the drums of your choice and do all the MIDI edits.

Yeah I DO need to free up some space on my primary drive, or upgrade to a bigger drive. Cubase 12 Pro runs fine on the HDD drive though. If I ever upgrade my computer, I'll reinstall it on the SSD drive. As a side note, I have an older version of Cubase installed on the SSD drive currently. I'd like to uninstall it, but most of my third party VSTs are in the Steinberg folder in the Program Files directory, so I'm worried I'll lose these if I unistall the older version. Is there any way round this?

13GB is about 5% left on your SSD...
The Steinberg Folder is just a default location (original path) that has been around since Vst (1996) was created.
Vst2 plugin locations change by manufacturer/developer and can be installed anywhere..document folders..program folders etc.I have seen Vst installed everywhere if you don't specifiy the path..Vst3 has a dedicated Folder usually "Common Files"..
You can move (or copy paste) Vst2 plugins if they haven't installed info in the registry (including Licensing etc) and rescan/set the location/path in the DAW.
Otherwise it's best/safest to just uninstall/ reinstall the plugin in the new location you want.Cubase has a plugin manager (since 7-8?) to change/set location from the default path.
Cubase also has a "Steinberg Library Manager" (since 10..11?) to move Factory or Vst libraries (Vstsound)..read the manual for instructions on how to use it.
That will clear up a lot of space if you have a large amount of the Vstsound libraries.

I also heard that I need to have 'local' turned off in the drum module MIDI settings. Is this correct? I don't even know what 'local' means when it comes to MIDI settings.

All Drum Modules are TMI..Trigger to MIDI Interface....some are strictly MIDI only (No Sound Generator..Trigger I/O..eDRUMin etc) most these days have onboard Sound generators which are usually very dated or cheesy sounds and that's why users are attracted to Vst/Software..

The Voltage/Waveform from the trigger is interpreted into MIDI..the MIDI is then sent to the internal Sound generator (Local control ON) or MIDI OUT to external Sound Generator/Software/Vst (Local Control OFF)...I have noticed some modules allow both simultaneously (Internal/Digital and GM Section in a MIDI loop) amd can be stacked/layered.
GM Mode activates the modules Internal GM Section (General MIDI Drum Kit Map Soundsets)..which is the Industry GM Standard Soundsets.. some refer to as the Percussion Section..
You can also have MIDI Sent IN to play the Modules internal Sounds ( Internal Sound Generator)..as long as the incoming MIDI matches the modules MIDI mapping.

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 10:37:00 PM by Chaser »