Author Topic: COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE/NITRO/SURGE-Instrument/Voice Stacking  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Chaser

I have been meaning to post this when I got the time...it's been a busy year.

The Newer Alesis drum modules have a MAIN Drum Kit section and a GM Drum kit section of the module.
I rarely..if ever..have seen comments on the GM Kits.I don't believe users realize they are there.

The GM Drum Kits/Instruments/Voices/Backing Tracks etc are generally accessed on channel 10 from an external midi controller with GM MODE ON and the MAIN Drum kits OFF.

There is however a MIDI trick that allows you to use the Module to also trigger the GM Drum Kits.....AND access both sections simultaneously.
All that is required is a 5 pin MIDI cable.

You will be able to Stack the sounds/voices of both the GM Kits and MAIN Drum Kits...
This applies to all the DD514 and DD650 modules or modules with GM Kits,5 pin MIDI IN/OUT ports and the ability to turn GM/Local Control ON/OFF..
I have tested the following modules and the GM Kits are the same for each model NITRO/SURGE (MEDELI DD514) and COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE(MEDELI DD650)

You'll need to do the following:

1st) Setup a MIDI loop.

You'll need a 5 pin MIDI cable connect one end to MIDI IN and the other to MIDI OUT on the drum module.

Select a pad/trigger (If you are at the kit..select the snare..easiest for demonstrating)
MENU > VOICE > VOLUME... OFF/0
MENU > TRIGGER > SENSITIVITY... 16

GM KIT ONLY

MENU > UTILITY set GM mode to ON...LOC (local control)to OFF.
You'll now be able to access the GM Kit..and the module/triggers will now play the GM Drum Kits.
However the Instruments/Voices names will not display in the LCD window.
You cannot control any parameters for the GM Instruments/Voices except Volume by adjusting MENU > TRIGGER > SENSITIVITY.
Default GM Kit=Standard 1..Bank 0 (GM Kit list attached..there is a LARGE amount of percussion Instruments/Voices)

The GM Instrument/Voice becomes a "BASE" Instrument which will be Global throughout the module on every kit.

EXIT

MENU > TRIGGER > MIDI NOTE.
Scroll through the MIDI notes as you strike the pad/trigger to hear the GM Instruments..or select Instrument/Note from the GM Kit list attached.

NEXT

GM KIT AND MAIN KIT STACKED

MENU > UTILITY set GM MODE to ON..LOC (Local control) to ON
(The GM Instruments will now be Stacked with the MAIN Kit Instrument/Voice)

Previuosly Selected Pad/Trigger..MENU > VOICE...slowly turn the volume up and you will hear the MAIN Voice blend with the GM Voice.
Setup the balance you like of the GM Kit/MAIN Kit Instrument/Voice..

MENU > UTILITY >GM MODE/LOCAL MODE..
You now have 4 DISTINCT Variations of the same Voice/Kit..toggle between them as you strike the pad/trigger and you will definitely hear the differences.
GM MODE ON - LOCAL ON
GM MODE ON - LOCAL OFF
GM MODE OFF - LOCAL ON
GM MODE OFF - LOCAL OFF

The GM Instruments/Voices are velocity sensitive also.Be creative..experiment with layering the different voices.You can create some unique Instruments.
I ran through a multitude of combinations including odd ones and only experienced "phasing" once or twice which was easily remedied in the settings.
If you find the GM Voice is overpowering the MAIN Voice even at Max Volume..remember you can go to:
MENU > TRIGGER and lower the Sensitivity

DD514 modules have 11 GM Kits..128 GM Backing Instruments/Voices built in.
DD650 modules have  9  GM Kits..128 GM Backing Instruments/Voices built in.

To access/control the remaining Kits/Banks/GM Backing Instrument/Voices you will need an additional 5 pin MIDI cable and a MIDI controller.
Connecting an external keyboard or sequencer to the MIDI Input allows you to also use the module as a multi-part, polyphonic sound module
to play various instrument parts in addition to your drums (for instance, Piano on Channel 1, Bass on Channel 2, Strings on Channel 3, etc).
The voices on each MIDI channel are selected using MIDI Program Change messages (refer to GM Backing Instrument List)
You can setup a midi foot controller to change banks.
If you have a Keyboardist in the band.He/She can not only change the banks per kit,per song,but also access/play all the GM Backing instruments.

I have Setup/Mapped/Tested a more complex variation with a MIDI keyboard (Novation Remote 25SL) and a MIDI foot controller (Rocktron All Access/2 expression pedals).
I chose these because of large digital display screens and I can Automap the Novation/create templates away from it and the Rocktron can be manually programmed.
I am sure there is a simpler MIDI foot pedal if you wanted to be able to change just the GM Kit Banks.I just haven't had time to experiment with any.

Complete MIDI parameters,GM Backing Instrument List,GM Kit lists.

NITRO/SURGE (MEDELI DD514)

COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE (MEDELI DD650)

This is not a Theory...It has been fully tested and working and it works quite well.

EDIT:
When Stacking the GM Kit/MAIN Instrument if you do not want a GM Instrument on a trigger... MENU > TRIGGER > MIDI NOTE...set to 000
When Stacking the GM Kit/MAIN Instrument if you do not want a MAIN Instrument on a trigger...MENU > VOICE > VOLUME... OFF/0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:58:27 AM by Chaser »

Thanks for taking the time to share this in such detail .Respect 👊🏼