Author Topic: Driver Error with Trigger i|o on Windows 10  (Read 371 times)

Offline Chrisblob

Driver Error with Trigger i|o on Windows 10
« on: May 11, 2023, 07:31:16 AM »
Hi all, I was using BFD2 in Linux, with my Trigger i|o and 9 piece edrum DIY kit, and it worked nicely - unfortunately those lovely #$@%&^at InMusic kill switched everyones BFD2 setup, forcing us to buy BFD3.4 or go elsewhere. I bought the update, but sadly BFD3.4 license manager is incompatible with my Linux system, so I installed Windows 10 on a spare NVME drive.

I installed BFD3.4, and it works fine in Windows, but Windows 10 says the Trigger i|o has a driver error (code 10, device cannot start), so I'm unable to live play in to BFD3.4 for recording. Has anyone had their Trigger i|o railroaded by Windows 10, and if you were able to fix it what was the solution? EDIT: I've already tried a bunch of solutions; updated Windows, tried to update the driver, tried to rollback the driver (nothing to rollback), tried to find corrupt entries in the registry (not corrupt), disable/enable the USB controller, tried different USB ports (from 2.0 to 3.2 ports, no difference found)...

Best regards, Chris W, New Zealand
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 07:43:58 AM by Chrisblob »

Offline Chaser

Re: Driver Error with Trigger i|o on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 10:40:00 AM »
Hi all, I was using BFD2 in Linux, with my Trigger i|o and 9 piece edrum DIY kit, and it worked nicely - unfortunately those lovely #$@%&^at InMusic kill switched everyones BFD2 setup, forcing us to buy BFD3.4 or go elsewhere. I bought the update, but sadly BFD3.4 license manager is incompatible with my Linux system, so I installed Windows 10 on a spare NVME drive.

I installed BFD3.4, and it works fine in Windows, but Windows 10 says the Trigger i|o has a driver error (code 10, device cannot start), so I'm unable to live play in to BFD3.4 for recording. Has anyone had their Trigger i|o railroaded by Windows 10, and if you were able to fix it what was the solution? EDIT: I've already tried a bunch of solutions; updated Windows, tried to update the driver, tried to rollback the driver (nothing to rollback), tried to find corrupt entries in the registry (not corrupt), disable/enable the USB controller, tried different USB ports (from 2.0 to 3.2 ports, no difference found)...

Best regards, Chris W, New Zealand

BFD is going through a lot of changes..ROLI didn't do much during the period they had it and InMusic seems to be focusing on subscription models for a number of products.. even if they don't want to call it that..(Currently..90 day Internet SN check).
InMusic has also been filing/granted a number of patents recently focusing on "Systems and methods" and gotten sue happy going after a dozen or more companies for a Turntable with USB port..but losing to SONY (the rest will follow suit)....enough about that..

The Trigger IO is Class Compliant...I pulled out a Trigger IO and had no issues.Under events it did list migration error.."due to partial or ambiguous match"
It is listed in Device manager inder Sound Video and Game Controllers and is working properly.
Windows 10 has always had issues with USB ports communicating , typically the USB3 ports and backwards compatibility/migration which can be quite irritating and time consuming....

I am using a different version than most.. Enterprise LTSC which doesn't get updated as often or updates for features etc..check you OS version build..
The old USB1.1 requires a USB cable less than 9.6ft or MIDI communication will time out..

EDIT:
Screenshot attached , check and see if you have all the drivers in the System 32 folder or any or missing
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 11:04:03 AM by Chaser »

Offline Chrisblob

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 06:17:17 AM »
The Trigger IO is Class Compliant...I pulled out a Trigger IO and had no issues.Under events it did list migration error.."due to partial or ambiguous match"
It is listed in Device manager inder Sound Video and Game Controllers and is working properly.
Windows 10 has always had issues with USB ports communicating , typically the USB3 ports and backwards compatibility/migration which can be quite irritating and time consuming....

I am using a different version than most.. Enterprise LTSC which doesn't get updated as often or updates for features etc..check you OS version build..
The old USB1.1 requires a USB cable less than 9.6ft or MIDI communication will time out..

EDIT:
Screenshot attached , check and see if you have all the drivers in the System 32 folder or any or missing

Cheers for the screenshot, I checked the listed drivers and they're all there. I then went back to trying different USB ports, and found one that works on a USB 3.2 header. I will need a longer cable to reach from that port, but only from 6 to 9 feet (2 to 3 metres). Windows must be very fussy/flaky about USB stuff, as the original port I was plugged into let the Trigger i|o work fine in Linux - anyways, it's solved - hurray!

Best regards, Chris W, NZ

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 09:21:51 AM »

EDIT:

Cheers for the screenshot, I checked the listed drivers and they're all there. I then went back to trying different USB ports, and found one that works on a USB 3.2 header. I will need a longer cable to reach from that port, but only from 6 to 9 feet (2 to 3 metres). Windows must be very fussy/flaky about USB stuff, as the original port I was plugged into let the Trigger i|o work fine in Linux - anyways, it's solved - hurray!

Best regards, Chris W, NZ

Good to hear you had a port that resolved the issue.I don't know why Windows became so selective on USB Port usage.
I went through similar years ago with a laptop and after Win 10 upgrade none of the ports (ALL worked prior to upgrade) would work for anything that was also powered by the port.I finally got a couple to work after disabling USB Selective Suspend..so I always recommend disabling USB Selective Suspend..The path is different depending on the build and Windows has moved some things around in the last few builds but basically go into Power settings.

Power Options > Edit Plan > Advanced Power settings > USB settings > USB Selective Suspend = Disabled