Author Topic: DM6 resistor replace  (Read 3781 times)

DM6 resistor replace
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
Hi all, first time poster here.

I've had an Alesis DM6 drum module for 3 or 4 years now. Recently got it back from lending it to my friend and he lost the power supply. Hooked another, wrong one, up to it and fried a resistor inside of the module so it doesn't work anymore.

I've taken it apart and found the fried resistor, but since it is burnt and I don't have schematics, there is no way for me to tell what ohm and watt rating resistor to replace it with.

So my question is, could someone possibly open up their DM6 and see what kind of resistor that I need and/or take a picture of your board so that I can figure out what kind of resistor that I need?

I've included a picture pointing to where the resistor will be at: https://goo.gl/photos/DAXT21zEX2PKUht8A

If someone is willing to help but doesn't know how to take the module apart, then I will gladly write you a step by step. It's very easy and all that you need is a small philips head screwdriver to do it.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Re: DM6 resistor replace
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:06:56 AM »
Bump. Anyone have any help at all? I'm still trying to replace this resistor so that I can get my drum module working again.

If someone has the circuit diagram/service manual for this module or a similar one I'm pretty sure I can even make that work!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
Bump. Anyone have any help at all? I'm still trying to replace this resistor so that I can get my drum module working again.

If someone has the circuit diagram/service manual for this module or a similar one I'm pretty sure I can even make that work!

Unfortunately there are no diagram/service manual for this module. Mainly because Alesis would not actually repair this module, they would just replace it. That is the nature of the more affordable line of modules.

The other issue you are going to have is, chances are there is more fried in that module than that resistor. If it is truly a resistor (which is hard to tell from your pic as it looks to be a diode that is nearest to your red pointer, unless you are pointing to the empty space) you will find yourself replacing other parts down the line. When using the wrong power supply, it tends to mess up multiple components on the board, not just one component.

You might be better off trying to locate a used DM6 module off of ebay.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
Update: I was able to get some resistors from my friend to test out in my DM6 drum module. From testing out connecting the resistor inline to the board and trying to turn it on with a proper adapter attached, it seems that the 1k ohm resistor works (as in the module turns on with no erratic behaviour).

I am going to try to test more thoroughly (checking to see if the drums will trigger/sound etc) before soldering the resistor onto the board).

Hellfire, I was attempting to point at the empty space on the board where I pulled the burnt out resistor (yes, it's a resistor) off.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:46:10 AM »
Don't suppose by some miracle 6 years later you remember if you figured out the resistor value?

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 11:32:20 PM »
Looks like a protection diode (AKA a polarity diode) not a resistor, I think the OP was mistaken..use any protection diode of simular size to repair it..you will find them in EVERY electronic device around..just solder it in the same way as the one below..the pic the OP supplied is blurry tho..anyway..the polarity diode is there in case someone uses the wrong PSU with reversed polarity..it works a bit like a fuse..cheers Rob.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 11:36:37 PM by rob12770 »

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 04:19:03 PM »
Update for any still coming across this post: Soldering the 1k ohm resistor in place did fix the drum module and it powers up and works almost flawlessly again!

I say almost because if you listen closely (or turn up loud like I do!) it has a weird... decay noise at the end whereas it should be abrupt silence after a drum or cymbal hit. There is sort of a fade out/decay sort of thing going on. If/when I get a chance I will see about doing a recording of it so that everyone knows what I mean.

rob12770 may very well be correct about it being a diode I should put in place instead of a resistor, but as stated above the 1k ohm resistor mostly did the trick.

If/when I get some time, I may reopen the module again and take clearer pictures, and possibly even try a diode in place of the resistor to see if it allows it to work without the weird decay fade out noise.

I apologize to anyone who may have replied here or messaged me and I never responded!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 02:08:32 AM »
Take a better picture (focus!), without any red pointers blocking the view. Should be fairly easy to tell what should actually be in that spot.

Do you still have the burnt-out part? You might post a picture of that, too.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 05:19:53 PM »
I COME BEARING NEWS!!!!

My drums are fixed. Firstly, that component IS a resistor, I replaced it with a 1.8kΩ resistor and everything works as normal. And Based on how the above 1kΩ resistor also worked I'd say there's a decent room for error.

There was no further damage to the board that I can see, so I think it's all good.