Author Topic: DM10 MKII Regular Hihat pedal  (Read 1942 times)

DM10 MKII Regular Hihat pedal
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »
Is there a way to use a regular hihat pedal with the DM10 MKII? 

Re: DM10 MKII Regular Hihat pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:41:20 PM »
I read in other forums that people have used the Alesis HiHat X. Also the GoEdrum adapter is known to work. A cool setup might be to use the Gibraltar remote HiHat and the GoEDrum adapter. I was thinking this route for myself as a future upgrade. Order the GoEdrum part on Amazon. Easy returns if you can't make it work. But it's just a variable resistance like the real Hat pedal from Alesis, so if cose in resistance range it will work.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:48 PM »
If you have the pro, I'm working on this. I got a stand and made some 3D printed adapters for the cymbal. I'm using a Roland CY-5. Currently I just use a momentary switch on the pedal of the stand. Work for open and close. The module accepts an input of 0K ohms to 50K ohms for the hihat control. So a simple slide pot should do the trick. I plan on mounting this in a box near the pedal and connect it with a rod. The pot are dirt cheap. $2.50 each at places like Jameco. But they charge shipping and you have a $15 min order or a $5 surcharge. Well, order some panel mounts and a few extras, maybe a project box to mount it and you are at $15. I plan on 3D printing my housing for the parts so that it fits nice on the stand base.
No other magic parts are needed. The cable from the module is TS only and it just looks for resistance. A rapid change splashes or chicks. It should work for a while. Maybe i can try a rotary POT.
I think the best solution might be an encoder strip with a laser sensor attached to an Adrino. The Adrino encodes the signal and sends the variable resistance. No parts to wear out. Another time maybe.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:24 PM »
I think the best solution might be an encoder strip with a laser sensor attached to an Adrino. The Adrino encodes the signal and sends the variable resistance. No parts to wear out. Another time maybe.

There are some useful links and info about DIY hihat control in this topic: https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7516.msg50345#msg50345

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
That's it! They reference 90K for the RealHat pedal. That verifies what I think it is since I don't have one. And the Strike uses a FSR. I'm on the right track.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
I have the Studio kit.  Is this different than the pro?

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:22:39 PM »
According to Alesis https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2353 it's a variable. Should be the same. But you never know with Alesis. Best way to check is to measure the resistance range with an Ohm meter.
The MKii Pro needs a 100k ohm range to work right. I have a working hihat now, but I'm waiting on another part to see if I can improve it. I'd like the hat pedal to have a smaller movement range.

I used a 60mm slide pot, but it's just too far and makes playing odd, unless you like a loose pedal? I have a 30mm coming in tomorrow since this is close to 1". The issue here is that the hat choke movement must match the slide pot for this to work. But it does work. I have open/close splash, chick and all the half sounds. I'd say yes you can use a real hat stand. My setup is a cheap Ludwig with a Roland CY-5, plus some 3D printed parts for the cymbal and choke. I'll post a video once I get my final setup.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
Here's my test video with a 100k 30mm slide pot. It works better than the pedal I think. I'm not a good drummer, so what do I know?

https://youtu.be/mANzPyTt0dM

Since this is turning into a DIY project check the DIY topic for further information and progress.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:59:44 PM by FCMarx »

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
I have a question here (since you  guys already own the kit. I'm goin to order it). So does the DM10 MK2's RealHat HH Pedal Controller send Continuous/Variable CC messages thru its USB midi? I mean along with the HH note played on the PAD?
So, it must ideally send both the CC variable value and the HiHat note played on the pad at the same time. You can check it thru midi monitor. Have you? Anybody have checked this?
I want this to trigger Superior Drummer 3 with variable HH articulations by dynamically adjusting playing the pedal.

Or does the module send only fixed notes like closed tip & edge + open tip and edge + the chck and Splash?? Are these the only single notes sent?

I want it to send continuous CC messages on CC#4 out of the HH controller and of course the pad hit to trigger some fixed notes for the edge and the bell. But the important this is that, it has to happen SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Does it happen with the MK2 PRO?? I know the old DM10s do it. Please do let me know whether the MKII can do this aswell.

Thank you,
Clement