Author Topic: Songs that made you want to drum...  (Read 19996 times)

Re: Songs that made you want to drum...
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
Personal songs i use toplay to warm up and "get in the ring "

Tush   ZZ top

Double vision    foreigner

one in a million    Electric mary

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2021, 02:33:14 PM »
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Jeff Porcaro
Steve Gadd
Nick Mason
To name just a few !

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »
When I was in fifth grade, our local high school did a talent show at our school. After the show, one of the bands stayed late and rocked out to My Sharona.

Right there and then I knew I wanted to play the drums.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
For me, it was multiple songs, not just one. A whole album.

The first time I heard "Moving Pictures", and had never heard drumming like that before, I had to start.

J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2021, 03:14:24 AM »
Yep, heard Tom Sawyer and that was it...

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »

Pierre van der Linden, Hocus Pocus.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2022, 08:13:36 PM »
hey, another Focus fan?? man, I was so into them in the 70's.. I convinced our band to play Sylvia back in the early 80's when we got a keyboard player.. I still have about 3 of their records in my collection :-)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APbogD9uwFU

but the studio version hooked me first.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2022, 10:34:54 PM »
Awesome, I have that Rush in Rio dvd. I was 11 when the first Rush album came out I think.. bought it.. then Caress of Steel, then Fly By Night, and then, oh man.. 2112 when I was 13 and as a budding drummer and getting drawn into Progressive Rock, and of course LSD, that album was the mind blower.. the one I'd put on when I came home still tripping out on acid or straight, it was my go to before my Led Zeppelin addiction. What an album.. of course I had to buy All The World's a Stage and Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.. and and and.. lol.. I've never stopped loving them.

Fun fact, when I was 16 and a councellor in training at summer camp, I had a girlfriend from Willowdale and she said Neil's family's house was behind hers.. she didn't really know the band so it could have been Geddy or Alex now that I think of it, but I'm fairly sure it was the Pearts because I was so jealous and the drummer connection thing.. I went to visit her once but never got to take a walk around the block to see if anyone was around.. judging by how down to earth they were I bet if anyone WAS out on the lawn or in the backyard they'd be ok to have a stranger/fan say hi. What an awesome era to be a teenager.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 08:22:40 AM »
Awesome, I have that Rush in Rio dvd. I was 11 when the first Rush album came out I think.. bought it.. then Caress of Steel, then Fly By Night, and then, oh man.. 2112 when I was 13 and as a budding drummer and getting drawn into Progressive Rock, and of course LSD, that album was the mind blower.. the one I'd put on when I came home still tripping out on acid or straight, it was my go to before my Led Zeppelin addiction. What an album.. of course I had to buy All The World's a Stage and Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.. and and and.. lol.. I've never stopped loving them.

Fun fact, when I was 16 and a councellor in training at summer camp, I had a girlfriend from Willowdale and she said Neil's family's house was behind hers.. she didn't really know the band so it could have been Geddy or Alex now that I think of it, but I'm fairly sure it was the Pearts because I was so jealous and the drummer connection thing.. I went to visit her once but never got to take a walk around the block to see if anyone was around.. judging by how down to earth they were I bet if anyone WAS out on the lawn or in the backyard they'd be ok to have a stranger/fan say hi. What an awesome era to be a teenager.

Great story!

I was 14 years old. The local rock radio station played 2112 one night for the Midnite Album and I was taping it, because that is what you did in the day. Those incredible fills totally grabbed me when I first heard them.

I had drum sticks but not drums yet. I laid out books of different thicknesses on my bed, replayed the 2112 intro, and immediately tried to copy some of his fills. Been a Rush fan ever since.

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2022, 06:05:07 PM »
hey, another Focus fan?? man, I was so into them in the 70's.. I convinced our band to play Sylvia back in the early 80's when we got a keyboard player.. I still have about 3 of their records in my collection :-)
Totally. Have seen them four or five times at Pinkpop, Midsummer Pop Festival (at 7 am!) and other occasions.

Jan Akkerman and Pierre v.d. Linden are my heroes.  ;D

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2022, 05:14:15 AM »
As for drums my first song was "Carry on my wayward son" 8) it was like a second coming for me. Almost immediately after that, I bought myself my first pad and sticks to learn. After some time, I was presented with my first drum kit (also from Alesis, but cheaper). Since then, I have been very fond of drums and don't even think about changing my favorite instrument.

But then happened another thing that called "Final Countdown" by Europe, that made me want to dive in synths... So after that I bought my first synth from Roland...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:04:18 PM by randomgrace »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2023, 01:39:09 PM »
I got this album before kindergarten. My uncle, who is much younger than my mom, had this on cassette. I played it for my mom - we both loved it!
Now, this was a time when the only albums I had were Johnny Quest, Sesame Street, Disney stuff and Famous Monsters Speak.

I saw the record at our local Walmart (uncle lived 800 miles away) and showed it to my mom - she put it in the cart.

This song got me into music entirely - especially interested in the fun drumming with toms throughout the beat, and it also spurred my brother into being the best bass player I've ever worked with!

Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath Paranoid album
https://youtu.be/4aJT2p2_pDk
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2023, 01:56:31 PM »
Once my brother and I started becoming musicians, we got the album Jethro Tull - Bursting Out Live given to us by some friends.

This has been one of my favorite drums solos of all time.

With John Glascock on the Music Man bass (which is what my brother bought after trying one) and none other than Mr. Barriemore Barlow on the skins, ladies and gentlemen I give you "Conundrum"!

https://youtu.be/-FD2_Sxr-P8
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:59:15 PM by Dartanbeck »
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline AlanK

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2023, 09:40:28 AM »
One of my favourite bands of the 70's, had many albums and put them on often! We used to play Aqualung with one of our band lineups around '82 (when my brother lead gtr/vocals left and another friend stepped in on lead as we all loved JT but my bro didn't). We wanted to try a couple more but we fizzled out of existence shortly after. Fantastic video/solo and thanks for sharing!!