Author Topic: Today I'm Officially All Alesis! (for Sound anyway)  (Read 5545 times)

Online Hellfire

Today I'm Officially All Alesis! (for Sound anyway)
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »
For those that know me, I have been using a Roland TD-8 and an Alesis Trigger I/O with SR-18 combo back and forth. Well, as of today I sold my Roland TD-8 and I'm now using just the Trigger I/O and SR-18 combo.  I have one piece of Roland equipment left on my kit and that is a PD-9 that I use for a ride cymbal. I'm now getting ready to replace that with a new DIY two zone pad that I'm working on. I will most likely post that in the DIY section when i'm finished with it.

Offline KnipeDrums

Re: Today I'm Officially All Alesis! (for Sound anyway)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »
Congratulations, i was serious about buying a DM10 but i have to play it first and hear what the samples sound like. The one downer for me is the lack of a converter for personal sounds. I like the yamaha even though its difficult sometimes to use it allows you to put your own sounds in.

I am almost completely roland free on my kit except some heads and once I figure a way to sho horn Yamaha's rubber pad in a wooden shell I will have my kit completed. T
Yamaha DtxTreme 3, Roland SPD30

www.KnipeDrums.com
www.DTXDrummers.com

Re: Today I'm Officially All Alesis! (for Sound anyway)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:30:19 AM »
A second hand TD8 is one of the options I'm considering as an alternative to the DM10, along with a pure computer based Trigger|IO/SD2.0 solution (perhaps with a bit of MIDIYoke/GlovePie programmed trickery in the middle).

As far as restricting the DM10's custom sound loading functionality to sound design partners only, you can see how this might make commercial sense to Alesis - they get quality control of available libraries as well as a cut of the profits. On the other hand the ability to create your own patches would surely be a selling point for the module itself. Hopefully on a long enough time line Alesis will see the light and make their software tools available at least to registered DM10 users.