Author Topic: Can't Decide DM6 or DM5 Pro for a 15yr old somewhat new drummer  (Read 4465 times)

I am looking to purchase either the DM5 Pro or the DM6 for my 15yr old son. He is learning but also starting to play more at church and we are looking to get him a set he can practice with at home. What is the difference between these two set and why if the DM6 is newer is it cheaper than the DM5? is it because it has less sounds? The DM6 is suppose to have a newer sound module, but would i be limiting him by getting it over the DM5 Pro. Money is a slight factor otherwise I might have gone with a Roland like my church drummer recommended. Any advice would be helpful. He will mainly use it to play along with me (i play keyboards) and with his Ipod/MP3. Thanks

Offline Guinness

Re: Can't Decide DM6 or DM5 Pro for a 15yr old somewhat new drummer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »
The obvious differences between the two are the pads.  DM5 pro has real drum heads, vs the DM6's rubber pads.  I like the feel of the DM5 pro kit's version better (more of a stick bounce/accoustic feel).  Out of the box, you can't play along with an MP3 player with the DM5.  You can, however, with the DM6.   The DM5 is very customizable.  I've only owned it for 3-4 days and frankly, it is complicated.  The DM6 is much more user friendly.

My two cents.   Hope that helps!

Happy New Year

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Guinness, I decided to get the DM6 for my son. One of my big concerns was the DM5 drum heads vs the DM6's rubber pads. I was getting mixed opinions. The drummers at my church use a Roland which has the mesh pads so they could only comment on that and the difference between the acoustic set. I like the fact that you can virtually play the DM6 right out of the box with a MP3 which he will be doing a lot of. Also from my reading and knowing how he is going to use the set I like the fact that it does not seem as complicated, as compared to the DM5. Thanks for your response (especially the user friendly comment). Thanks

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
On the DM6 (Ion version) I had, the headphone jack broke relatively easily.  I suggest zip-tieing it to the rack so one won't accidentally pull on the jack and break it like I did mine.

Enjoy!