Author Topic: Pearl MIMIC Pro  (Read 33626 times)

Online Hellfire

Pearl MIMIC Pro
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:38:43 PM »
Big thanks to vaikl for posting about this in the Alesis Strike topic.

MIMIC PRO MODULE

From the Pearl web site:

MIMP24B

• 24-Bit Steven Slate Drums 5
• Multi Channel Samples With Separate Adjustment Of Close, Overhead, and Room Mics
• IPS Touch Screen
• 60GB Solid State Drive
• Top Level Burr Brown Converters
• 16 Inputs
• 16 Audio Outputs (8 On The Module / 8 From The DB-25 Connector)
• Two Completely Separate Mixers For Headphone and Aux Outs - Drummer Gets A Personal Mix With Effects That Does Not Affect Outputs)
• All Inputs Have Cymbal Choke Function
• Supports Triple and Dual Zone Cymbals and Dual Zone Hi-Hat
• Compatible With Most Pads On The Market
• SD Card Slot and USB
• Imports One Shot Samples From Wave and AIFF
• Aux In
• MIDI In and Out
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:38:41 PM by Hellfire »

Offline rhysT

Re: Pearl MIMIC
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
How awesome is this bit of kit? The SSD and touch screen are long overdue features as they've been standard in synths like Kronos for a long while.
I wonder if Alesis got wind of it and decided to wait and see what it included. Maybe the separate Strike module could be available sooner than expected. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:48:34 PM by rhysT »

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »
HOLLY *Insert curse word here*!!!

Now this is one hell of an announcement. To think that Alesis had the edge, Pearl comes out of the blue, and presents us with this awesome product. This will bring joy to the DIY crew for sure!

Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
This is a game changer.

What fine looking module with it's IPS screen and 64gb SSD.

Damn, an SSD is an SSD. If can run a 64gb one it can most likely run a 500gb or more SSD.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
This is a game changer.

What fine looking module with it's IPS screen and 64gb SSD.

Damn, an SSD is an SSD. If can run a 64gb one it can most likely run a 500gb or more SSD.

There are a lot of "if" when it comes to hacking. Only time will tell.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »
Is this in production yet? Im guessing the price tag would be pretty hefty!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
The Kraft Music site has it listed for pre-order and "call for price"..but looking at the column on the left side  , the module is listed in the $2,000-$2,500 USD price range..

http://www.kraftmusic.com/brands/pearl/mimic-pro/

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:36:25 PM »
The Kraft Music site has it listed for pre-order and "call for price"..but looking at the column on the left side  , the module is listed in the $2,000-$2,500 USD price range..

http://www.kraftmusic.com/brands/pearl/mimic-pro/

This is list price not street price, someone called them and told would be near Roland TD25 Price range..let see

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 08:42:56 PM »
How awesome is this bit of kit? The SSD and touch screen are long overdue features as they've been standard in synths like Kronos for a long while.
I wonder if Alesis got wind of it and decided to wait and see what it included. Maybe the separate Strike module could be available sooner than expected.

The strike kit module at Winter NAMM was empty box,  slide show screen, nothing inside the module. This is why Strike kit at summer NAMM is not available and confirmed now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:54:35 PM by ChrisK »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
This is list price not street price, someone called them and told would be near Roland TD25 Price range..let see

Sounds reasonable. But i'm a bit laughing @Steven Slate when he points out the "Top Level Burr Brown Converters". Alesis had them since the D4 or so? :) A better, pricier point should be the number of audio outs (with DB-25) in relation to the TD25/TD30 or the DTX950.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:01 PM »

Sounds reasonable. But i'm a bit laughing @Steven Slate when he points out the "Top Level Burr Brown Converters". Alesis had them since the D4 or so? :) A better, pricier point should be the number of audio outs (with DB-25) in relation to the TD25/TD30 or the DTX950.

1999$ street price now
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:24:06 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »
I t is also interesting that the module has SSD5...which Slate hasn't even announced on his site....but it's in the new Sweetwater catalog..
so the software will be available separately?.
    SSD5 Complete version for $399
    SSD5 EX version for $149
    Samples recorded on 2” tape
    New browser
    New mixer
    Thousands of ‘go to’ grooves
    Expansion packs from Chris Lord Alge, Terry Date and David Bendeth
    VST, AU, RTAS and AAX

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »
I t is also interesting that the module has SSD5...which Slate hasn't even announced on his site....but it's in the new Sweetwater catalog..
so the software will be available separately?.
    SSD5 Complete version for $399
    SSD5 EX version for $149
    Samples recorded on 2” tape
    New browser
    New mixer
    Thousands of ‘go to’ grooves
    Expansion packs from Chris Lord Alge, Terry Date and David Bendeth
    VST, AU, RTAS and AAX

It was always available way before on VST.. V3, 4, now the 5 not released yet.
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
Target price 1999$ USD street price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDJEMTiptw
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:23:27 AM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »
From Peter Warren from vdrum forum:

Some answers from Alex:

1. Is there EQ and compression per drum? Is there a reverb as well?

" Better than per drum. It's per mic! You can adjust each mic in each drum separately. For instance, you can take out room from kick and leave it everywhere else."

2. Are there rim sounds on the toms?

"Yes"

3. Approx how many samples per drum articulation?

"Up to 20 velocities AND 6 hits per EACH velocity. So no machine gun. Sounds extremely real and natural."

4. Is the library in the module a reduced or full version of SSD5?
" Full version except SSD5 has two stereo room mics, while in Mimic they are mixed in one stereo room mic."

6. What type of expansions will there be?

"Any kind of expansion. Dedicated to music styles like pop, funk, jazz, indy as well as dedicated to drum series like Pearl Masterworks, etc."

7. Will you be able to import your own multisamples?

This won't happen in near future. We have to keep it organized. There will be expansion packs with multisamples and tons of velocities. We're open to people requests. We can record timbales, etc...

These are all nice new also, Great News, and 20x6= 120 samples nice! and they can sample any things in multisample we would want, just ask them! I never seen this supports, until now request are taken seriously, you will never see this by Alesis.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:34:43 AM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »
I saw Kraft Music has a video of the new Pearl Mimic from Summer NAMM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDJEMTiptw&feature=youtu.be

I have to admit this sounds really good. I'm starting to consider a switch to Pearl. I wonder how Alesis feels about a customer (Pearl) who gets their trigger tech from them and then shows a brand new module with that triggering tech that isn't Alesis. I wonder if Pearl is considering updating the ePro Live tech as well. Just thinking out loud. I guess we will find out by winter NAMM 2017?

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

I have to admit this sounds really good. I'm starting to consider a switch to Pearl. I wonder how Alesis feels about a customer (Pearl) who gets their trigger tech from them and then shows a brand new module with that triggering tech that isn't Alesis. I wonder if Pearl is considering updating the ePro Live tech as well. Just thinking out loud. I guess we will find out by winter NAMM 2017?

Did you think Alesis give it to Pearl? the touch screen they have the technologies from the MPC Touch http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpc-touch
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:43:31 AM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

Did you think Alesis give it to Pearl? the touch screen they have the technologies from the MPC Touch http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpc-touch

Nope. That's why I asked the question about the ePro live triggers being updated.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:23 PM »
I just read Peter Warren post from vdrum: The demo from kraft they recorded it from a mixer headphone output so the audio quality is not as good as directly off the module.

Offline ChrisK

Re: Pearl MIMIC Pro
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »
Sergey lead developer of mimic pro is taken request to implement on the module at vdrum forum!

Very promising product and supports at long terme!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 11:49:26 PM »
This overview of SSD4-Pro Drum Software from Steven Slate shows what should be included in SSD5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWOte-BbEHA

I like that multiple instrument sounds such as snares/etc can be layered using empty slots in the mixer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:51:37 PM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 01:20:20 AM »
This overview of SSD4-Pro Drum Software from Steven Slate shows what should be included in SSD5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWOte-BbEHA

I like that multiple instrument sounds such as snares/etc can be layered using empty slots in the mixer.

The SSD5 will have EQ and Compression which SSD4 did not have, but I don't know how much of the software function is included in the module at 100%, 50% etc.?

Anyway this took a new direction on Edrum, watch out Roland\Yamaha...wake up before the boat sink completely.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:34:51 AM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 05:45:11 PM »

Quotes from Sergey at vdrum:

"That is not a direct port of SSD4 or SSD5 sampler software to the MIMIC platform. The thing is that I'm the author of Steven Slate Trigger1 / Trigger 2 plugins, and SSD4 / SSD5 virtual instruments
So I just know how to write these kind of applications =)  The mimic software is written from ground up as it should be highly optimized for this particular platform. That is not something like VST instrument hosted on some VST host under windows We are going the hard way here =)"

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:47:04 PM by ChrisK »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 07:02:18 PM »
Quotes from Sergey at vdrum:

"That is not a direct port of SSD4 or SSD5 sampler software to the MIMIC platform. The thing is that I'm the author of Steven Slate Trigger1 / Trigger 2 plugins, and SSD4 / SSD5 virtual instruments
So I just know how to write these kind of applications =)  The mimic software is written from ground up as it should be highly optimized for this particular platform. That is not something like VST instrument hosted on some VST host under windows We are going the hard way here =)"

I was a first-row customer for Steven Slates' VSTi drum products and i was really disappointed how they wanted to sell a over-compressed, over-recorded and over-produced library with a less-than-simple-set of features (MIDI seemed to be a kind of foreign language) to the masses. If they now just know how to deal with software, i'm really curious how they wanna deal with hardware modules 8)