Author Topic: How does the DM10 ride cymbal work?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Dobly

How does the DM10 ride cymbal work?
« on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:57 AM »

How I hate thee. Let me count the ways. I am just staring on the path of making a replacement for the nasty ride that came with my DM10X kit. A ride so nasty I need pin point accuracy to hit the bell and if i so much a breath on the edge it explodes like I had just crashed it with the back of a drum stick.

I found this thread on the Vdrum forum of a great looking design. Alas he made it for Yamaha style rides. A style that has one cable and uses a resistor to distinguish between the bell and the edge. Something like that. I know more about the Yamaha ride than I do about the DM10 ride.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/diy/1122419-diy-3-zone-cymbal-v2

(You need to sign up to see that page)

Can someone here please explain what we know about the ride on the DM10X. I mean the black plastic ride btw. It takes 2 cables. What gets sent on each cable? Piezo, switch, switch what? I can't plan my diy ride without knowing what the DM10 module expects.  How does the ride work? 

Offline rhysT

Re: How does the DM10 ride cymbal work?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »
Can someone here please explain what we know about the ride on the DM10X. I mean the black plastic ride btw. It takes 2 cables. What gets sent on each cable? Piezo, switch, switch what? I can't plan my diy ride without knowing what the DM10 module expects.  How does the ride work?

Check out the ride cymbal circuit in this topic: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=5645.msg40401#msg40401

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
You are the image master rhysT.. :) I did search on the site can only found discussion about the ride but nothing specific..

This diagram will do the trick. Thanks.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »
mmmmm... That diagram only has one plug. My cymbal has 2. I'm not sure that is the right diagram.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
mmmmm... That diagram only has one plug. My cymbal has 2. I'm not sure that is the right diagram.

Yeah Dobly, I should have mentioned that ride circuit is apparently for a DM-8 module.

However, I just tried removing each DM-10 ride cable to determine what they control and may have found a quick fix for your loud edge problem. When I reversed the 2 cables at one end the bow sound still triggered OK, but the bell and edge switch triggers were reversed. Although the choke function also triggered the bell sound which could be an issue for the type of music being played. At least it allows the bell to be triggered easier along the edge (with stick shoulder) and there should be less mishits of the edge sound near the cup.     
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:07:58 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
Thanks again.. I'll give that a try soon. My plan is to sit down with the  module and the two cables and try some stuff some loose piezo's I have and some wire to simulate switches. I'm very keen to diy a better ride cymbal. I'll include Hellfire's velocity on a switch idea if i can.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:35 AM »
Btw, I've kept the cables swapped on the ride cymbal as I mainly play bow & bell patterns and rarely want to use the edge sound or choke function, plus the cymbal edge has a better hitting zone for the bell sound.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:52:44 AM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:44:29 PM »
Btw, I've kept the cables swapped on the ride cymbal as I mainly play bow & bell patterns and rarely want to use the edge sound or choke function, plus the cymbal edge has a better hitting zone for the bell sound.

Yeah I'm the same. I never play the edge of the ride but bow and bell is common. It frustrates me how rubbish the bell is on this ride.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
It frustrates me how rubbish the bell is on this ride.

You can fake a better bell tone by adding the 'Big Stick' ride sound on layer-B to boost the bell level and adjust its pitch if required.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:43:33 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 04:57:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip but alas I have given up on the DM10 sounds for the time and using AD2 . Still much to learn there but even with my limited skill with AD I was able to put together a different kit for each of our 45 or so songs. Some are better than others but all in all the sounds are amazing. I am so busy with this band the thought of diving into the DM10 again .....

I had about 20 songs done on the DM10 web I decided I really should try DMEditor. What an amazing app. If only it read the existing kits I had saved in the module. That as when I tried AD. It as a Saturday afternoon and I had it all hooked up to my 1500watt fold back. Once I heard that (you know that feeling when the kick lifts you out of the throne) I got to work finding and tweaking sounds in there to make kits for my bands songs. A process that took about 10 hours. Would have taken weeks on the DM10.