Author Topic: New Member from Coastal North Carolina  (Read 1503 times)

New Member from Coastal North Carolina
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »
Hey All!

40-something old fart who's played drums on and off since high school.  Just ordered a second-hand Alesis DM10X that I should have in about a week.

I've had a couple acoustic kits over the years, and a couple years ago I picked up a little Behringer electronic drum kit for a couple hundred bucks, (yeah, I didn't know they made e-drums either.) I really hoped that would scratch the "gotta drum" itch, but it only made it worse.

So yeah...Jumping back in.
DM10X mesh, Gibraltar kick pedal and hi-hat, Pacific Drums throne, Roland NE10 and NE1's, (for apartment living,) ProMark Millennium II 5A's with wooden bead in Shira Kashi Oak.

Offline Iggford

Re: New Member from Coastal North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
Hi from the Greensboro, NC, area!

My previous kit was a DM10 Studio kit.  I still use it, even since upgrading to a Strike last year.  I keep it for a practice kit so I only have to carry my Strike to gigs.  It's a solid kit, and I still enjoy playing it.

All the best luck to you with your new kit!

--
Shawn.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
welcome to the forum, and back into drumming.. 56 yr old here who gave it up around 23 and just got back in around 50.. loving it

so, is your handle The Fish because you're a Yes/Bill Bruford fan?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:29:08 PM »
Hi from the Greensboro, NC, area!

I'm down in Wilmywood.  Relocated here from Southeastern Ohio about 4 years ago.  Left my old "Stadium Rock" Tama Swingstar kit that seemed to be from an era of neon pleather and Aquanet in Ohio...I kept a few pieces: vintage 61 Slingerland snare and a collection of Zildjian and Sabian cymbals...  Those didn't make it through Hurricane Florence, so I'm looking forward to starting over!
DM10X mesh, Gibraltar kick pedal and hi-hat, Pacific Drums throne, Roland NE10 and NE1's, (for apartment living,) ProMark Millennium II 5A's with wooden bead in Shira Kashi Oak.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
so, is your handle The Fish because you're a Yes/Bill Bruford fan?

I am a Bill Bruford fan, but the actual reason for the handle is that my last name is Trout

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »
om Southeastern Ohio about 4 years ago.  Left my old "Stadium Rock" Tama Swingstar kit that seemed to be from an era of neon pleather and Aquanet in Ohio...I kept a few pieces: vintage 61 Slingerland snare and a collection of Zildjian and Sabian cymbals...  Those didn't make it through Hurricane Florence, so I'm looking forward to starting over!

I'm really sorry about your losses.  Florence was definitely a devastating storm.  We felt the effects all the way up here, but thankfully it had weakened considerably by the time it made it this far inland.  They had been preparing for the worst.

I moved down here from the town of Mansfield, Ohio, about 19 years ago.  I didn't spend much time up there, though. 

I've played acoustic, but I've never owned one.  When I made my first purchase, I lived in an apartment, so I ventured into e-drums for the volume control.  It stuck, and that's what I've happily played ever since!

--
Shawn.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:02:58 PM »
Hello from Rock Hill, SC I'm a DM 10X pro Mesh guy myself. When I first found these forums I was so glad all these people contributed all this great info! I hope you find it very helpful., Gerald
Casual_Insanity
Alesis DM10 X Mesh Pro, Cobra Roller Glide, Extra DM 10 Cymbal Pack,

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
I have to agree with you 100%!  I feel like I've gotten so much more out of both my kits because of the people here.  It's such a valuable resource!

--
Shawn

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
Thanks for chiming in!  I've gotta say that I chose the DM10X because of this forum and the information in it.  I have really done ZERO tinkering with the kit.  Just played around with the stock kits...drumming along to Spotify tracks or drumless tunes I've downloaded...Recorded ZERO with it.  Haven't taken the time to try as I'm in the middle of a project that is really eating up a lot of my attention, and I've set a pretty steep deadline for it, (but I set that deadline, and this is a dream project that I've been rolling around in my head for at least 13 years now! So, I'm happy with the situation.)

I REALLY want to go digging deeper into the module and possibly expand on the kit a bit, and the wizards who frequent this forum have given me some GREAT ideas on what I want to do and where I want to go with it...Could NOT be happier with this setup, and I've BARELY scratched the surface!

Cheers all!