Author Topic: Have DM6. Upgrade to DM8 or VST for Beatles Sound.  (Read 2007 times)

Have DM6. Upgrade to DM8 or VST for Beatles Sound.
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
Hello, I am a pretty new drummer just fooling around for a hobby.  I am primarily interested in playing Beatles music.  I am not too happy with the DM6 sounds for this purpose and would like to correct this as cheaply as possible.

From what I have listened to I think I like the Retro Adpak from Addictive Drums the best which will cost me around $200.  I've also noticed the DM8 contains a 60s Ludwig Kit which I assume is modeled in a similar sound.  It seems I will get more bang for the buck in upgrading the module if the sounds are acceptable plus a resale value.  (goes for around 150 used on ebay)

So my questions are:
1.)  How does the Ludwig Kit sound on the DM8 or Dm10?  Is it acceptable?  Anywhere close to the retro Adpak?

2.) Is there a cheaper VST solution I could use?  From what I've seen I don't really see any.

3.)  Will the VST help the snare problems at all on the DM6.  I've upgraded the firmware but still am not happy with the snare response of the DM6.  I can upgrade to a mesh realhead but I assume it is the module and not the pad.

Any info would be appreciated.  thx.

Offline vaikl

Re: Have DM6. Upgrade to DM8 or VST for Beatles Sound.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
Welcome to our forum!!

If you wanna go straight with 60s drum sound, you should try NativeInstrument's "Abbey Road 60s drummer" for 119$, including a Ludwig plus a Gretsch kit and recorded completely at Abbey Road.

The sounds from the Abbey Road product line are excellent. Another option could be BFD eco from FXpansion for 99$, which also has supreme sound quality and much more tweaking capabilities, so that you could customize your needed sound.

Re: Have DM6. Upgrade to DM8 or VST for Beatles Sound.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked at that.  It looks pretty good.  I probably will go with that one if I go with the VST route.

Does anyone have opinions on the DM8/DM10 lud 60s kit?  Is it anything close to the abbey road sounds?