Author Topic: Dual zone Lemon...not dual zone?  (Read 819 times)

Offline stylazyn

Dual zone Lemon...not dual zone?
« on: May 18, 2023, 01:47:31 PM »
Hello,

I bought a Lemon 12" drum that claimed to be dual zone off of Reverb. When I plugged it into my Strike Pro module, the rim function didn't seem to work. So I am wondering if the plug is shot, or just not compatible with Alesis Strike. I opened it up and there are two distinct small white plugs (see enclosed image) going into the 1/4" receptor, making me believe it should be dual zone.

So, I believe now I should replace the 1/4" plug in the drum but I don't know where to find one.

Offline Chaser

Re: Dual zone Lemon...not dual zone?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:16:30 AM »
Hello,

I bought a Lemon 12" drum that claimed to be dual zone off of Reverb. When I plugged it into my Strike Pro module, the rim function didn't seem to work. So I am wondering if the plug is shot, or just not compatible with Alesis Strike. I opened it up and there are two distinct small white plugs (see enclosed image) going into the 1/4" receptor, making me believe it should be dual zone.

So, I believe now I should replace the 1/4" plug in the drum but I don't know where to find one.

Piezo/Piezo should be compatible..
Have you checked to see if the Rim Piezo is actually working ?..
There are a couple ways since there is a PCB with connectors..
You can turn off the Head by turning the sensitivity all the way down and the threshold all the way up and for the the Rim turn the sensitivity all the way up and the threshold all the way down or you can just switch the plugs at the pcb board..I can't tell the location of the Rim Piezo but since I don't see the shell connected in the photo I presume it's glued to the bottom so tap the bottom and see if there is a response....either way would give you an indication either the Piezo or the connection at the jack is bad.
Worse case scenario if it is the PCB board you could just clip the connectors and use a normal TRS Plug along with any resistors (check on the pcb board) if required.
The STRIKE Snare/Toms have the (2) Head Piezos going to a PCB board and the Rim Piezo is centered directly below the Center Head Piezo and wired directly to the Jack.

I presume the Lemon Tom is like the one I attached..

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 01:46:35 PM »
Hello,

You can turn off the Head by turning the sensitivity all the way down and the threshold all the way up and for the the Rim turn the sensitivity all the way up and the threshold all the way down or you can just switch the plugs at the pcb board..I can't tell the location of the Rim Piezo but since I don't see the shell connected in the photo I presume it's glued to the bottom so tap the bottom and see if there is a response....either way would give you an indication either the Piezo or the connection at the jack is bad.
Worse case scenario if it is the PCB board you could just clip the connectors and use a normal TRS Plug along with any resistors (check on the pcb board) if required.
The STRIKE Snare/Toms have the (2) Head Piezos going to a PCB board and the Rim Piezo is centered directly below the Center Head Piezo and wired directly to the Jack.

Yes, it is exactly that one. I did not take apart the foam above the piezo, very hesitant to, but if push come to shove. Do you know where I can get a new jack if I screw things up?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:51:03 PM by stylazyn »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 04:01:35 PM »
Hello,

Yes, it is exactly that one. I did not take apart the foam above the piezo, very hesitant to, but if push come to shove. Do you know where I can get a new jack if I screw things up?

The foam can be a problem removing..I showed one in another post that tore rather easily even tho I rarely used the pad (around 7 years old I guess) the foam had deteriorated.

Replacement PCB Type Jacks are readily available these days.
You aren't going to find ones with a circuit board.you'd have to ask the manufacturer...Alesis (Medeli) Toms had circuit boards also and many just removed and added an inline resistor if needed during the Mesh Conversion era.

If all else fails you can use a TRS (Stereo) instrument/panel jack which is open frame.DIY's been using for years..
I can't tell in your photo but the Lemon setup/mounting from underneath looks like it doesn't have the requirement for a closed frame jack.

This Brand offers a TRS "Kit" with a breakout board so you could make a custom one..depends on how thick the bottom of the drum is..

EDIT:
Added Links/Images
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 04:18:27 PM by Chaser »

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
Great! Thank you for your help. I hope to have the issue with the tom resolved. The tom itself is very rugged and I was looking forward to using it as my snare.

Hello,

The foam can be a problem removing..I showed one in another post that tore rather easily even tho I rarely used the pad (around 7 years old I guess) the foam had deteriorated.

Replacement PCB Type Jacks are readily available these days.
You aren't going to find ones with a circuit board.you'd have to ask the manufacturer...Alesis (Medeli) Toms had circuit boards also and many just removed and added an inline resistor if needed during the Mesh Conversion era.

If all else fails you can use a TRS (Stereo) instrument/panel jack which is open frame.DIY's been using for years..
I can't tell in your photo but the Lemon setup/mounting from underneath looks like it doesn't have the requirement for a closed frame jack.

This Brand offers a TRS "Kit" with a breakout board so you could make a custom one..depends on how thick the bottom of the drum is..

EDIT:
Added Links/Images