Author Topic: Load Songs on the DM10 MK11 Pro  (Read 789 times)

Load Songs on the DM10 MK11 Pro
« on: January 01, 2023, 11:19:54 AM »
Has anyone had any luck loading songs into the module?

Offline Chaser

Re: Load Songs on the DM10 MK11 Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 03:23:24 PM »
Has anyone had any luck loading songs into the module?

Welcome to the Forum !

The DM10 MKII Pro is based on the Medeli DD680 module and (like others Medeli DD650.Crimson/II,DM10 MKII Studio,Forge) can playback/read MP3, WAV and MIDI files from USB Flash drive.
Medeli lists the USB Flash Drive format as USB 2.I haven't tried a USB 3 Flash Drive so can't comment if it works or not.
Use the module to format the drive..it will create the correct folders etc
The Default folder is SONG...when you press song it's 1st in line.
You do not have to use the Default folder and can create your own folders.
One folder has a maximum of 99 files.(NO sub folders are allowed or read by the module.."No File")
Under Song you can select USB or module..navigate selecting Enter,Exit, Folder and List.
(Exit doesn't always back you out of everything...module and USB Drive are different)

Supported WAV:16-bit total maximum size (PER KIT) of 16 MB for VOICES.It can have a sampling rate of 11.025,22.05,32,44.1,48 kHz.
Supported MP3 stream: 32,40,48,56,64,80,96,112,128,160,192,224,256,320kbps
Supported MP3 sample rate:32000,44100,48000.
Supported MIDI file Format0 and Format1, max. 32 tracks, PPQN <480.
Maximum name/characters..12.
There is no mention for maximum file size for a song other than..Data Capacity: About 15000 notes for each user song.
There is a Drastic size difference between a WAV and a MP3.Use MP3 if possible.
A 4 min 16/44.1 stereo WAV file is 42MB..Mono is 21MB..joint stereo is somewhere between ..a 16/44.1 stereo (or Mono) MP3 at 320 is 9MB.

in GM Mode the MIDI file will use the GM MIDI Section for Play back..local control OFF will use the GM Drum Kits..Local Control ON will use the Digital(module) drums and you can scroll through and hear kit changes.You may have to turn Program changes on under Utility.
The rest depends on the MIDI file and it's mapping as MIDI files are/were typically mapped GM or are proprietary for various software developers,BFD,SD3,EZ Drummer,Kontak,Battery,MODO etc etc so in order for the MIDI file to correctly play the kit pieces on the module the mapping must match.
It's easier to map the module to a MIDI file than it is to remap a MIDI file to a module as most don't have the knowledge or software to map the MIDI file to a specific drum module.

EDIT:
Attached folder structure example..that I can confirm works i n the DM10 MKII Pro.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:06:15 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 04:31:19 PM »
Greetings, Chaser. Your knowledge is not only impressing me but putting my head in a tail spin. When I bought this set/kit, I didn't realize that I would have to go to audio school to run it. I'm past my school years by a bunch. Anyway, I had success in getting some voices to load but I did take your advice and reformatted the drive. I tried putting in an .mp3 320 kbps 12.1mb song and got the dreaded "NO FILE" message. Then tried another .mp3 128 kbps 3.44mb and that too didn't work. I have no idea what the sample rate is or how to find it. I guess you would need a program that would tell you. I am also trying to get answers through Alesis but have not heard back from them. I have started a ticket with them but I think they may be avoiding my issue. Hey, love the Data Capacity of about 15000 notes per song. I haven't sat down and tried to count yet, but if I do get bored I will give it a shot. Thank you for your reply. I do have an .mp3 player and it is working fine for adding music to my play so if I have to stick with that, that will be fine.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 05:24:06 PM »
Greetings, Chaser. Your knowledge is not only impressing me but putting my head in a tail spin. When I bought this set/kit, I didn't realize that I would have to go to audio school to run it. I'm past my school years by a bunch. Anyway, I had success in getting some voices to load but I did take your advice and reformatted the drive. I tried putting in an .mp3 320 kbps 12.1mb song and got the dreaded "NO FILE" message. Then tried another .mp3 128 kbps 3.44mb and that too didn't work. I have no idea what the sample rate is or how to find it. I guess you would need a program that would tell you. I am also trying to get answers through Alesis but have not heard back from them. I have started a ticket with them but I think they may be avoiding my issue. Hey, love the Data Capacity of about 15000 notes per song. I haven't sat down and tried to count yet, but if I do get bored I will give it a shot. Thank you for your reply. I do have an .mp3 player and it is working fine for adding music to my play so if I have to stick with that, that will be fine.

Are you using subfolders for the MP3 ?..Are you creating separate folder outside of the Song Folder?
The Default Song folder is the first in line when you push the Song button..if nothing is in it you'll see the Automatic error message/prompt.
If you are using folders outside the Song Folder..press FOLDER that will display every folder on the USB Drive.
Scroll through and select the folder your song is in..press ENTER.
The first song in the folder will be loaded automatically...If you have more than one song in that folder press LIST...then scroll through and select.
Have you tried just placing the MP3 in the song folder?
"NO FILE" error means the module isn't finding a file..."Unsupported File" means it's format isn't supported.
as far as MP3 sample rates..MP3 is actually a MPEG-1..Audio layer 3 (32,44.1,48),in the 90's the MPEG-2 and MPEG-2.5 started..adding additional sample rates that fill in between 8-48k...and a few other versions from 3 up to MPEG-21 which has copyright protection schemes etc
MP3 file doesn't have the sample rate info in the header as the rate is per block and you can have blocks with different sample rates inside a MP3.

EDIT:
Added Module Message Prompts.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 08:16:24 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 10:37:06 AM »
What ever happened to the days of "Plug and Play"? I guess Alesis has never heard of that. I have put songs into only the song folder. When chatting with the the Alesis tech he wanted me to put the song on the disc and not in any folder. That didn't work either. I have never seen any of the prompts that you show in the attached picture except "No File" when trying to open the song folder. I have just made a new folder on the drive called "More Music" and added a song to it. When pressing the USB button, I only see the default folders and not the new one I added. Beginning to think there is something wrong with the module. Anyway, Chaser, thank you for your help.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 11:33:29 AM »
What ever happened to the days of "Plug and Play"? I guess Alesis has never heard of that. I have put songs into only the song folder. When chatting with the the Alesis tech he wanted me to put the song on the disc and not in any folder. That didn't work either. I have never seen any of the prompts that you show in the attached picture except "No File" when trying to open the song folder. I have just made a new folder on the drive called "More Music" and added a song to it. When pressing the USB button, I only see the default folders and not the new one I added. Beginning to think there is something wrong with the module. Anyway, Chaser, thank you for your help.

Plug n Play are Entry Level modules..then everyone complains they have no settings options or features.
Alesis/Medeli are simple compared to Roland or MIMI Pro etc etc.
The problem is every simple User Guides that are usually around 6-7 pages..The User Guides don't even make you aware there is another section to the Module..the GM section....

I don't know why the Tech suggested the Root drive..The song will not be found if placed in the Root Drive.A folder..must be selected..Default or User.
If in Module Mode..Default..USB .. Folder is selectable ..

If you press USB MEM..the only folders you'll see are Default..you must be in SONG MODE to see the Folders/Lists.

Press SONG..it will display the last song loaded..either from the Module or USB...
You' also see which mode you are in.. USB or Module...

In SONG MODE
The F2 button (middle) switches back and forth from USB or Module

USB
LIST (F1)...MODULE (F2)...FOLDER (F3)

MODULE
LIST (F1)..USB (F2)

When in USB mode press Folder and you should see the folders you created.
Select a folder..ENTER.
The first song will be automatically loaded..if more than one song is in the folder press LIST..
to exit LIST.. press EXIT Button

MODULE
LIST (F1)..USB (F2)

In SONG\LIST interface, press[∧][∨] button to select a song, and press [START/STOP] to start/stop playback.
The type of the currently selected song will be shown on the top right of the screen.

Press [F1 (GROUP-)] and [F3 (GROUP+)] to shift between Ptn, Hit, Tap and User mode.

Ptn: Pattern; rhythmic music.
When finish playing, it will automatically replay from the beginning and stop when you press [START/STOP].

Hit:Press [START/STOP] to play one shot rhythm; if you set this Hit function to Pad Pattern, then every time you hit pad,
the corresponding one shot rhythm will play.

Tap: Every time you press [START/STOP], the TAP song voice will come out one by one by default order; if you set Tap to
Pad Pattern function, then every time you hit the pad, the song will be played by default order

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 04:24:12 PM »
Break through! Got the song to come up when following your instruction. So they don't get uploaded from the flash drive but play FROM the flash drive. One thing that I am very good at is following directions being a life long carpenter/cabinet maker. Someone needs to tell Alesis to rewrite those instructions. Thanks again, Chaser, I am on my way!