Author Topic: HELP: get individual SR-16 Sounds to Roland Octapad trigger??  (Read 823 times)

HELP: get individual SR-16 Sounds to Roland Octapad trigger??
« on: December 17, 2022, 12:17:14 PM »
HELP, how to get individual SR-16 sounds into an Old Roland pad 80 trigger???
I am a little familiar with Midi, but I'm having trouble getting all the individual SR-16 sounds to trigger into the Roland Pad 80.

I did the SR-16 Midi setup per the manual: Midi CH Omni/ Drum in On V2/ Drum Out On/.
With this setup I am only getting 12 drum sounds Triggering on the Pad-80 they are: kick/snare/closed hat/open hat/claps/percussion/hi Tom/medium Tom/Low Tom/ride cymbal/crash cymbal/High conga... On midi note numbers 0 thru 11.
Then those same individual drum sounds repeat on Midi note numbers 12 thru 23/24 thru 35/36 thru 47, Etc.

I currently have the Roland octopads set to MIDI Channel 1.

I assumed the SR-16: 233 individual drum sounds would have their own MIDI note number?
Do I/can I: program midi note numbers to the other individual SR-16 drum sounds than the 12 I only have triggering currently?

The Roland Pad-80 allows up to 128 midi note numbers. It would be nice to utilize the other individual SR-16 sounds to create patches on the Roland Pad-80, ex: a percussion patch: with cowbell, congas, claves, fish-guiro, Etc.

Any ideas or suggestions to how I might accomplish that?
I would like to hopefully get this set up before FAWM (February album writing month).

THANKS MUCH!!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:54:55 PM by ResoNut »

Offline Chaser

Re: HELP: get individual SR-16 Sounds to Roland Octapad trigger??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 12:54:01 PM »

HELP, how to get individual SR-16 sounds into an Old Roland pad 80 trigger???

The Pad 80 (Octapad II) doesn't import sounds..it's a MIDI controller with patches.

I am a little familiar with Midi, but I'm having trouble getting all the individual SR-16 sounds to trigger into the Roland Pad 80.

I did the SR-16 Midi setup per the manual: Midi CH Omni/ Drum in On V2/ Drum Out On/.
With this setup I am only getting 12 drum sounds Triggering on the Pad-80 they are: kick/snare/closed hat/open hat/claps/percussion/hi Tom/medium Tom/Low Tom/ride cymbal/crash cymbal/High conga... On midi note numbers 0 thru 11.
Then those same individual drum sounds repeat on Midi note numbers 12 thru 23/24 thru 35/36 thru 47, Etc.

I assumed the SR-16: 233 individual drum sounds would have their own MIDI note number?
Do I/can I: program midi note numbers to the other individual SR-16 drum sounds than the 12 I only have triggering currently?

The Roland Pad-80 allows up to 128 midi note numbers. It would be nice to utilize the other individual SR-16 sounds to create patches on the Roland Pad-80, ex: a percussion patch: with cowbell, congas, claves, fish-guiro, Etc.

Any ideas or suggestions to how I might accomplish that?
I would like to hopefully get this set up before FAWM (February album writing month).

THANKS MUCH!!!!

Here's recent Topic that went from using a Compakt Kit 7 to using a PAD 80 with the STRIKE module...there's some info in there you may be able to use.

There are (2) Modes for the SR-16..NORMAL and MULTI-DRUMSET mode..
Look into.. MULTI DRUMSET Mode..if you use an outside source to control the SR-16 module,you can control all the kits with one map..

"Within each Pattern, MIDI notes can either be mapped to 12 different sounds in NORMAL
mode,.or they can be mapped to any of five drumset groups (User Drumsets 00-09, 10-19,
20-29, 30-39, and 40-49) in MULTI-DRUMSET mode. Any of these drumset groups can
cover MIDI notes 000 through 119. This makes the SR-16 ideal for use as a drum sound
module, triggered by either an electronic drum kit or set of electronic drum pads, or by notes
from a sequencer.
Note that while in this mode, you cannot record notes into a Pattern via MIDI. It is assumed
that you will be using the SR-16 strictly as a drum sound expander module.
The chart on the following page shows which drum pads of which drum sets are triggered by
which MIDI notes. The logic to this assignment is that there are 12 drum pads per octave of
notes, so pad 1 always starts on a C note (MIDI notes 000, 012, 024, 036, 048, 060, 072, 084,
096, and 108). Remember that these drum assignments must be saved as Drum Sets in order
to retain the note map assignments"

The standard mapping for the SR-16 (attached)
Kick -36
Snare - 38
Cls Hat - 42
Open Hat - 46
Claps - 39
Perc 2 - 67
Tom 1 - 48
Tom 2 - 45
Tom 3 - 41
Ride - 51
Crash - 49
Perc 1 - 65

SR-16 REFERENCE MANUAL pg 44

Technically if you put the SR-16 into MULTI-DRUMSET MODE you can construct one Large MIDI Map for ALL the kits and control them externally.(attached)

SR-16 REFERENCE MANUAL  pg 48

EDIT:
Edited MultiMode MIDI Map...divided to show 10 Kits

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 02:27:58 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 03:12:49 PM »
Thanx Chaser.
Yes, I know the Roland Pad 80 cannot store individual sounds in memory just create patches.
As of now I think I am only getting the 12 sounds that are in the standard mapping chart that you posted and that is in the manual.

The links you posted look like they could be helpful, thanks!

So I think I can try getting into multi drum set mode? Not sure how to do that? but I'll mess around with the information you gave me and hopefully I could stumble into triggering the other sounds from the sr-16 other than the only 12 that I am getting currently.

Thanks for the quick response Chaser!

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 05:50:08 PM »
Ok, more questions...
According to the manual it looks as though to use multi drum set mode: that they are only user created drum sets, is that correct?
I did create a 00 user drum set, but no others.

If I do create User drum sets 00, 01, 02, 03, Etc
Do I create the individual drum pad sound midi numbers by selecting the SR-16 (ex: kick) pad, then changing the midi note number for that (kick) pad?
Then if I want to trigger the created user drum set sounds, do I just pick the user drum set menu- ex: user drum set 03 (that I created using different midi note numbers for each SR-16 pad) and then having programmed the Octopad midi note numbers correlating to each SR-16 pad and then it should trigger the different SR-16 sound sources that I programmed for that user 03 drum set?

This programming stuff can get pretty complicated!

Thanks Much!!!!!!!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 06:33:35 PM »
Ok, more questions...
According to the manual it looks as though to use multi drum set mode: that they are only user created drum sets, is that correct?
I did create a 00 user drum set, but no others.

If I do create User drum sets 00, 01, 02, 03, Etc
Do I create the individual drum pad sound midi numbers by selecting the SR-16 (ex: kick) pad, then changing the midi note number for that (kick) pad?
Then if I want to trigger the created user drum set sounds, do I just pick the user drum set menu- ex: user drum set 03 (that I created using different midi note numbers for each SR-16 pad) and then having programmed the Octopad midi note numbers correlating to each SR-16 pad and then it should trigger the different SR-16 sound sources that I programmed for that user 03 drum set?

This programming stuff can get pretty complicated!

Thanks Much!!!!!!!

I posted as much info as I could remember..I would only be referring to the manual from this point on.
I create MIDI Files/Tracks..then you can use for any kit etc etc in a DAW or send to software or Hardware.I had a Octapad II and a SR-16 for a few years and moved on from them years ago...I sold the Octapad in the early 1990's and the SR-16 around 1996/97..this gear has been around for  for 30+ years...you'll have to check youtube etc etc..there's plenty of info out there.

There's an old Editor..site is still up..hasn't been updated since 2010.

Alesis SR-16 Editor

Alesis SR-16 Editor HELP

Soundquest Midi Quest offers "Librarians",Editors..over the years they have created 100's of them to support old gear.I see they added another 50 or so.You won't find anything recent for Alesis as Alesis doesn't give out MIDI Implementation anymore...
Midi Quest has an Editor..also available for iPad..and Librarians for both (Octapad/PAD80..SR-16).I have never used them as Midi Quest librarians weren't available.(or an iPad)
If you have an iPad..The app is FREE but like most these days they get you with the in app purchases for Librarians or all of them for $100.00's of dollars..
email yourself the (2)instruments attached to this post..download/install Midi Quest on the iPad,open the email on your iPad and you can select Midi Quest to open..
If you go the Midi Quest route you will have to figure out how to connect them MIDI wise..USB Audio interface with 5 pin MIDI and a USB Camera Kit most likely as gear this old was not USB and came out long before there was a USB standard.Midi Quest communicates using SysEx.

Midi Quest for iPad

Midi Quest iOS App

Midi Quest SR-16

Midi Quest PAD-80

I see Alesis still uses the ancient Video Manual..it is not on the Alesis Knowledge base..but the new inMusic Force under maudio....go figure..

EDIT:Fixed Link
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 06:58:42 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »
Chaser, Wow... thanks so much for digging up all that info.

The Sr16 editor looks interesting but I'm not sure how I would get the parameters from the editor/laptop into the actual SR16 drum machine then the trigger.

I am mostly an acoustic guitarist, acoustic drummer, some keyboards... so a lot of this electronic programming stuff is beyond me.

Think I'll download the Sr-16 editor and give that a try, if I'm unsuccessful maybe after the new year I will box up and return the Sr-16.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 08:42:49 PM »
Chaser, Wow... thanks so much for digging up all that info.

The Sr16 editor looks interesting but I'm not sure how I would get the parameters from the editor/laptop into the actual SR16 drum machine then the trigger.

I am mostly an acoustic guitarist, acoustic drummer, some keyboards... so a lot of this electronic programming stuff is beyond me.

Think I'll download the Sr-16 editor and give that a try, if I'm unsuccessful maybe after the new year I will box up and return the Sr-16.

Same procedure for any computer..you need an audio interface..

No matter what you do you should have an Audio Interface,computers don't have good soundcards (especially laptops) and using an interface allows the computer to focus it's resources on where it's needed (DAW,software etc) and is necessary  especially if using old/vintage gear that doesn't have USB.That's the best way for old 5 pin MIDI Instruments to communicate with computers.
Even after you figure out the Editor you still have to get the info to the SR-16 , which will be SysEx and you'll have to send it with a MIDI program like (MIDIOX) using 5 pin MIDI...then if you want the sounds from the SR-16 you'll need to connect to an audio interface to get the audio into the computer.

A really good USB Interface that isn't expensive and has everything you need including 5 Pin MIDI..is the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD USB Audio Interface going for under $85 FREE SHIP (Holiday pricing)

Behringer has been a Love/Hate relationship for many over the years but these interfaces are very good with Midas converters.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 09:06:28 AM »
Thanks again Chaser, but I'm not looking to get into laptop recording as I have an old Fostex DAW.

I had the Roland pad 80 and I set it up to trigger an old Yamaha RX 15 a long time ago, but sold that and I was just looking for a newer drum machine that I could easily trigger all the sounds from.
With my limited midi and programming knowledge, the SR16 doesn't seem to fit the bill. Looks like I will return it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 11:21:09 PM »
Thanks again Chaser, but I'm not looking to get into laptop recording as I have an old Fostex DAW.

I had the Roland pad 80 and I set it up to trigger an old Yamaha RX 15 a long time ago, but sold that and I was just looking for a newer drum machine that I could easily trigger all the sounds from.
With my limited midi and programming knowledge, the SR16 doesn't seem to fit the bill. Looks like I will return it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

The interface is not just for laptop recording.It helps you get the most out of the vintage gear by combining both worlds.
The old gear requires more knowledge with MIDI and more steps to use not to mention you can backup/load the patches etc , upgrade or reinstall firmware.The Octapad II (PAD 80) you have is a TMI and with an audio interface (with 5 PIN MIDI) you can trigger any drum software available using a computer or smart phone (like an iPhone/iPad with USB camera kit)
Todays gear,as far as MIDI has been dumbed down as giant rack filled MIDI rigs became unpopular but have been making a comeback over the past few years and MIDI 2.0 just beginning and it slowly being implemented into new gear.

If you want more current drum sounds without breaking the bank or using computers etc and not a drum machine..purchase a used drum module and use it as a sound module and run the 5 pin MIDI from the Octapad into it.You can create the patches on the Octapad and the module has main outputs and headphones... 
One module I would recommend is the Discontinued original Crimson Module (Medeli DD650)..
Why?..
670+ sounds..and there is a full GM section that can be accessed also..
Dual Zone Hi Hat is supported
You can load your own wav samples..
One trick I haven't posted yet is the Medeli DD650 modules will play MIDI Files..Type 0 format <480ppq and while playing you can actually scroll through the kits and listen to the kit pieces change while playing the audio version of the same MIDI file through the Aux input.You can closely match a kit piece and save a user kit.Repeat for each kit piece until you have all the kit pieces used in the audio..You can get very close to the kit in the audio/song.
The Crimson MIDI mapping is nearly identical to the GM MIDI Percussion Map so you can find GM MIDI files readily available as <480ppq was a standard for a long time including DAW output and you don't have to re-assign the MIDI in the module or the tedious re-mapping of a MIDI file.

If you are not concerned about having a dual zone Hi Hat or MIDI file playback , they are plenty of modules out there over the past 30 years.There's literally thousands available on ebay and Reverb including the Alesis D4 and DM5 rack type and the original DM10 which are inexpensive these days.

Check youtube and you'll find demos of presets etc various drum modules from practically all manufacturers and all the modules released over the years,hear one you like and look for a used one.
The important feature to watch for is a 5 Pin MIDI in for use with the Octapad.

I remember using the ol' Fostex,I think I still have a broken X-15 laying in storage that never got fixed.
I had used all the portable.. cassette,CD,Fostex,Tascam,Yamaha MT series,..Roland Disc Lab (CD).
It was always an event to do a recording session then run out and do a "car test"
I also remember the portable "failures" like the Roland VS series (Zip Drive)..remember those? a tech that was supposed to be the next greatest thing for music,same with the CF Cards...instead the direction went to USB Flash drives and SD Card

Good luck with whatever you choose !!..there's plenty of options out there.

EDIT:
Added links
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:22:02 AM by Chaser »