Author Topic: Begging for help :)  (Read 921 times)

Begging for help :)
« on: February 01, 2023, 04:25:46 PM »
I will make it short, hi all

I have an Alesis Command X Mesh, i want to connect to the computer, I have a few options on the module, I'm thinking the midi USB on the top would be the best.
Is this the best and easiest way to connect it to the PC, I want to basically play the drums through my PC speakers, I also download and paid for pro tools,  ANY ADVICE is appreciated ( had the drums sitting here for 6 months)

Or if there is an easier way to connect to PC please let me know, also do I need some sort of driver ?, or is pro tools the only things I need

THANKS SO MUCH.

Re: Begging for help :)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 06:16:56 AM »
The USB is only for MIDI, not audio.

If you want to "play the drums through my PC speakers", you'll need a sound card and then connect the Command module audio output to that. Then you can record, play back and monitor your kit through the PC. However, for monitoring, there may be some (too much...) latency depending on your setup.

Or if you want to play drum sounds on the PC, you can connect the Command module via USB MIDI and use software like e.g. Superior Drummer.

No drivers should be necessary for the USB connection since these modules usually have class compliant USB MIDI.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 06:52:32 PM »
Oh thank you so much, I have had it connected via the midi USB on the top of the command module straight into the USB on the computer, I thought if I used Pro tools and used midi passthrough it should work ??, so the best way is from the 2 outputs on the Alesis command module into the back of the sound card on my PC, this will allow me to play the drums, hear and record at the same time, sorry I'm new.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:31:33 PM »
Oh thank you so much, I have had it connected via the midi USB on the top of the command module straight into the USB on the computer, I thought if I used Pro tools and used midi passthrough it should work ??, so the best way is from the 2 outputs on the Alesis command module into the back of the sound card on my PC, this will allow me to play the drums, hear and record at the same time, sorry I'm new.

"Soundcard"  should actually be an Audio Interface.You would connect the Interface to the computer and set it up as Audio and MIDI device and use the 5 Pin MIDI from the back of the module to the Interface and use software/vst or run the main outs of the module into the Audio Interface if you want to hear the drums sounds generated by the module or both if you setup an audio track and a MIDI track in the DAW...otherwise if you are just using a DAW (Pro Tools,Studio One,Logic etc etc) and a Vst or standalone software(EZDrummer , Superior , BFD3 Adictive drums etc) you can just use the USB cable to computer select the module as the MIDI device and use the computers audio (soundcard).The Interface setup as Audio will send it to the computers speakers.
The Behringer U-PHORIA Series are very good interfaces and very affordable as they are carried everywhere and you can get  good prices if you shop around..
It is always recommended to use an Audio Interface as it takes the strain off the computers resources so it can apply it's processing power to the software especially if using a DAW and multiple Vst's or as is the case with higher end drum software you'll be using a lot of RAM and need a good CPU.

If you simply want to record your performance along with a song off your phone etc..the Command/Crimson/II/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge modules are all based on the Medeli DD650 and also capable of onboard recording of both your performance using the modules drum sounds along with any audio through the Aux input and saves it as an MP3 on the USB Flash Drive...then you just take the drive over to a computer for playing,sharing etc...Recording Directly on a Module
Pro Tools isn't exactly beginner software...there is a learning curve and it does not support Vst.
Recording using a DAW is entirely different and more complicated than just connecting a module.There are multiple Topics for typical recording/setups..use the Search upper left..for setting up and recording with a drum module with Pro Tools.. check the Pro Tools Forum.

Alesis has an article/description for the basic setup

Alesis Drums | Connecting your Kit to a Computer

EDIT:
Added Links

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:47:43 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 02:59:40 AM »
Does the Alesis nitro mesh kit have dynamic articulation ? Thanks