Author Topic: Strike Pro SE loading samples  (Read 2029 times)

Strike Pro SE loading samples
« on: November 27, 2021, 06:05:42 PM »
Is it possible to load my own samples from the sd card? If so, how is this done?
Or do I have to connect the module to a computer and use the editor?
Thanks.

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Pro SE loading samples
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »
Is it possible to load my own samples from the sd card? If so, how is this done?
Or do I have to connect the module to a computer and use the editor?
Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum !
You can record from the Aux Input..or live from the module record them while in Sample Mode on the module you can trim them etc etc....keep in mind these will not be multi-velocity Instruments like you can create/construct with the STRIKE Editor.
It would be more like the "Quick Instrument" Mode in the STRIKE Editor.......just the samples originate from the Loop folder.
When finished you have the option to save it as a Full Sample..Trimmed Sample or an Instrument you can then assign under VOICE...When saving as an Instrument you'll also have the option of which category to save it to (Kick etc).

However..you can "cheat" the system by placing drum samples in the Loop Folder on the SD Card then load them and Save to an Instrument.Once again keep in mind these will not be multi-velocity Instruments they are single wav.. aka "one-shots"
This works very well adding for an instrument to a layer and play with an instrument that closely matches it or using High Quality samples from providers like Drumwerks and place it into the Velocity range.
Under Voices the layers have a velocity limit bar..you can highlight 00 or 127 and move the velocity range (encoder wheel/Data Dial)..you can even set the layer to an exact velocity.This allows you to use the Layer with all the velocity ranges 00-100 and the other layer with the one shot 101-127 etc etc..Experiment.

STRIKE Performance Drum Module User Guide Guide v1.5 starting on pg 23

The STRIKE Module does allow folder structures so you can create different folders for Instruments , loops etc

LOOPS FOLDER..You can go 10 folders deep for a Folder structure on the SD Card and the STRIKE module will still read them.For example if you use Multitracks you can create a folder with Artist name...then a song sub folder...then an instrument sub folder, and so on..the module will not show the folder structure but will display every file.
The module will display up to 40 characters in the Menu screen , but transpose on the top and the side column

DO NOT GO PAST 10 FOLDERS.You will see a nasty screen "Task 2 stack corruption" error in Red and the module will freeze and you have to disconnect the power to it...pull the card and remove any sub folder over 10 in depth.
10 folder structure is more than enough for anyone..
The rest of the module you can go to 5 sub folders on the SD Card before lockup..but as mentioned before the module will only show the main folder name on the main display no matter how many folders and every file in those folders will be listed.
This allows more organization away from the module.You can do a Folder structure based on Instruments.. Kicks > Brand > size > Type(Metal..Country etc)or as mentioned above Artists > Albums > Songs etc.
It's up to your imagination and how you want to organize.
Take the time and read the User Guide..at least once..it will be to your benefit the more you understand the more you'll get out of the module..

NOTE:
You can turn loops into an instrument but it is highly NOT recommended as Instruments are loaded into the Kit and will certainly exceed the Kit memory limit.Loops etc played from the Sampler are streamed directly from the SD Card* and have no effect on Kit size.

*Direct Recording to SD Card:The sample recording feature now streams audio directly to and from your SD card.This means that the time limit for Sample Mode is now based on how much space is available on your SD card.For any very long audio recordings, Strike will draw the waveform in real-time.

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:50:52 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
Ok so the samples go in the loops folder, not the samples folder?  :)
And the only way to create a multi velocity instrument is with the Strike Editor?
Thanks

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
Ok so the samples go in the loops folder, not the samples folder?  :)

The samples go into the Samples Folder on the SD Card if you are using the STRIKE Editor..

If you want to create Instruments without having to connect to computer (which is what you asked if it was possible) then you can put them in the Loops folder and create Instruments in Sample Mode

And the only way to create a multi velocity instrument is with the Strike Editor? Thanks

Yes..

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
Thanks

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 06:39:59 AM »
Great insights and just getting into this part of the module. Now, I've played something and I don't want to save it. I can't find in the manual or on the forum how to delete a sample/loop.
Could anybody help?

Thanks, Cas
Alesis Strike Pro SE, 2x expansion (tom/2 cymbals), 2nd Strike Module, Alesis Strike Multipad, Behringer eurorack 1804x, Antd Redfire 10

Offline AlanK

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 09:41:55 AM »
2 second search:

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/strike-pro-special-edition

manuals in the Downloads section
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 12:02:05 PM »
2 second search:

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/strike-pro-special-edition

manuals in the Downloads section

Thanks, I downloaded the manual , searched the record-loop section and couldn?t find it. Not the 2nd time either.

So, if I might ask, what have you found?

Greetz, Cas
Alesis Strike Pro SE, 2x expansion (tom/2 cymbals), 2nd Strike Module, Alesis Strike Multipad, Behringer eurorack 1804x, Antd Redfire 10

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 12:10:33 PM »
Ouch, that sucks. I actually haven't looked at the manual, I still have the DM10 but there was so much in my manual covering pretty much everything that I assumed the Strike manual would have a good section on sampling.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 03:50:39 PM »
Great insights and just getting into this part of the module. Now, I've played something and I don't want to save it. I can't find in the manual or on the forum how to delete a sample/loop.
Could anybody help?

Thanks, Cas

If you have played/recorded a file it's already stored on the SD Card...It is saved/stored during the recording.

To Delete a Kit from the External SD Card..
press Kit > User > List...scroll through to the desired file and press Delete...You'll see a Warning prompt popup for "Permanently Delete"

To Delete an Instrument from the External SD Card..
Press Voice > Instrument > User....scroll through ..select file.. press Delete...You'll see a Warning prompt popup for "Permanently Delete"

To Delete a Loop (or Sample in the Loop Folder) from the External SD Card..
Press Record Button > List..scroll though.. select the File...press Delete......You'll see a Warning prompt popup for "Permanently Delete"

it is usually faster/simpler to eject the SD Card and delete/remove multiple files..otherwise the module keeps scanning and reloading the SD Cards.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:35:17 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 01:37:41 AM »
Thanks so much Chaser!

Your expertise is one of the things that's so valuable in getting to love this module even more than I already did.

No, back to recording, listening and adjusting and doing it all over again, first gig with the Strike Pro SE in June on the horizon!

Thanks again everybody  :D

Greetz,
Cas