Author Topic: Bell Cymbal Sound for Surge Mesh Kit  (Read 1699 times)

Bell Cymbal Sound for Surge Mesh Kit
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:29:33 PM »
I just setup my Surge Mesh kit and it appears the cymbals do not have a bell function. I thought they had the “high velocity” bell, but with every kit I’ve tried, no matter how hard I hit the cymbal — no bell.

I looked through the 385 voices and see no Ride Bell sounds. If I could find a suitable bell sound, I would assign it to a tom rim if I cannot assign it to a cymbal.

Worst case scenario, I’ll manually go through all the cowbell sounds and try to figure out how to make one sound like a ride bell.

If anyone has a solution or the specific settings, I’d appreciate it.

Offline Chaser

Re: Bell Cymbal Sound for Surge Mesh Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 12:44:54 AM »
I just setup my Surge Mesh kit and it appears the cymbals do not have a bell function. I thought they had the “high velocity” bell, but with every kit I’ve tried, no matter how hard I hit the cymbal — no bell.

I looked through the 385 voices and see no Ride Bell sounds. If I could find a suitable bell sound, I would assign it to a tom rim if I cannot assign it to a cymbal.

Worst case scenario, I’ll manually go through all the cowbell sounds and try to figure out how to make one sound like a ride bell.

If anyone has a solution or the specific settings, I’d appreciate it.

The Nitro/Surge (Medeli DD512-514) are entry levels kits with single zone cymbals.
The Surge has a better rack (1-1/2" dia..and taller)..10" Snare,8" Mesh kick and Ride w/choke
Both kits have the 10" single zone cymbals (Bow) with a choke strip on one Crash and the Surge has a choke on the Ride.
The cymbals cannot be upgraded to multiple zones and only send one MIDI note for the cymbals (Bow).
There are no cymbal bell sounds in these modules , just a few percussion.. Ding bell (274),Bell Tree (281), sleigh bells (310) and a couple Metronome Bells 268..376 and cowbells are 290.. 316-326.
The link will take you to a better manual with all the Kit/Instrument and GM Kit list starting on page 29..

The Surge Voice list is here and should be identical..sometimes the order gets moved around on re-branded modules.

Re: Bell Cymbal Sound for Surge Mesh Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 04:10:45 AM »
Thanks Chaser. That’s a better manual than what I have and your info on the cymbals is helpful. I’ll pick one of those bells and assign it to a Tom rim.