Author Topic: Help a Newbie - Play Along & Record  (Read 2464 times)

Help a Newbie - Play Along & Record
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:06:31 PM »
Fellow drummers,

Here's my situation. I'm sure there's an easy answer but I can't seem to find it.

I have a DM10X kit. My guitarist is sending me MP3 files of new music. I want to find a simple way to play an MP3 music track, play drums along with it using the DM10 module, output the music track and drums, and record the output so I can remember my drum parts.

I have the USB cable and multiple device options: Windows 7 laptop, Chromebook, Android phones and tablets.

What's the easiest way to record the drums and music together? I don't plan to play with mixes or edit tracks, just want to record them.

Re: Help a Newbie - Play Along & Record
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
Hi AJRube

Does your laptop have a line in?

If so, you can play the mp3 on your Android phone and route your phone's output to the AUX input of your module with a stereo mini jack to rca cable. This way you'd record the mp3 mixed with your drumming all together from the main out of your module. (you'd need dual mono jack to single stereo mini jack cable)

Another option is to get a cheap pocket recorder with a stereo jack input and record the mix of the mp3 with your drums. (e.g. Zoom H1 or Tascam DR-05)

The last and what I consider as the best option is to buy a cheap USB audio interface bundled with DAW software (digital audio workstation):

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (comes with Ableton Live Lite)
Steinberg UR22 (comes with Cubase AI)

This way you'd load the mp3 in your DAW and record your drums on a separate track. Main out of your module goes into the inputs of the interface and you have to plug in your headphones in the phones output of the interface, not into the phones output of the module.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:23:19 PM by dritske »

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed advice. You asked if my laptop has a line in. I have both a Win 7 laptop and a Chromebook. Both have USB ports which I was hoping to connect to the USB out on the DM10 module, and find some simple software to record the output (assumed I could send both drums and music out through the USB to the computer).

Is there a way to do that, or are your proposed options better?
Thanks - Allan

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 10:25:53 AM »
The USB only serves as a midi connection, so there's no audio going through unfortunately.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
I just did this over the weekend.

I used Reaper (trial version is unlimited and fairly uncrippled but only $60 USD), you can also use Audacity (100% free). I connected to my laptop via USB. All you have to do is enable the MIDI in the recording software and set you MIDI outputs on the DM10 to SEND. I can post more detail tonight as I am at work right now.

I am also running Addictive Drums 2 so my hook-up is :
DM10 - Laptop (via USB) -> Laptop Headphone jack to AUX IN (via 3.5mm Stereo to RCA) - I do this to process through Reaper and Addictive Drums or just Addictive Drums if I am not recording.

You can then mix the MP3 in a separate track of your recording to keep your playing and the MP3 separate.
MP3 Player to Channel 1 of PA

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »
Thank you, I will research that a bit. If you have any other learnings, please share!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:54:36 AM »
Hey Legal,

When you say "Aux IN" which device is that?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
The audio input jacks on the Dm10 module labeled "Aux in"
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
Hey Legal,

When you say "Aux IN" which device is that?

I misspoke (kind of). I was speaking of the MIxer. I run the headphone jack of my computer back to my mixer. Depending on your mixer it could be an AUX IN or you may need to split the stereo cable to mono outputs to a regular channel on the mixer.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
Thanks. I am experimenting a bit and will report back when I get the right setup!