Author Topic: Alesis DM10 Pro - VST - PA Setup  (Read 1646 times)

Alesis DM10 Pro - VST - PA Setup
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for the extremely informative site!

I am looking to  trigger BFD or a similar VST with the DM10 into a PA. I am just looking for confirmation on how I would do this.

1) Connect Dm10 to Laptop with USB interface
2) Connect Laptop to mixer using the headphone jack
3) Connect PA to Mixer for BFD sounds.

My questions are 1) is this correct? 2) Will sound quality severely suffer from using the headphone jack to the mixer? I know I could have latency issues, but I am hoping the onboard sound card and hardware will be sufficient (2015 MacBook Pro, 8 GB ram, SSD). Please offer any suggestions or corrections to my assumptions!

Offline JohnRick

Re: Alesis DM10 Pro - VST - PA Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:35 AM »
I do this in our rehearsal space. Trigger DM10 via a small Acer 11", through Superior Drummer and/or Addictive drums.

What works for me is the USB out-> computer. No interface needed, really, since I downloaded ASIO4ALL, and the minor extra latency an interface adds I can be without. I could connect my Roland Studio Capture of course, but not necessary. Your MBP should work.

I then grab the signal from headphones out, via a stereo/stereo y-splitter, where one path goes directly to the PA, and the other is connected to a small Rolls mixer I have on my laptop stand where I mix in other sources (click via phone, monitor mix from the brass, vox etc.)

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
I USB to Laptop, then USB to Mixer (either straight if it has one, or using a USB interface). then to PA.

Works great.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
I go midi to an audio interface, out to pc via midi usb, into Addictive, sound comes back to interface and I can either send stereo out to PA (powered speakers) or out to mixer which connects to PA.. the AI has built in driver for latency control
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers