Author Topic: Addictive Drums visual feedback  (Read 2133 times)

Offline AlanK

Addictive Drums visual feedback
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
Ok, for any of you who use Addictive Drums and suffered the same problem as I did.. well, maybe you read the manual over and over and didn't have this problem, or maybe it's not in the manuals.. I didn't see it but I could have missed it..

I was a bit frustrated that the visual feedback wasn't working properly.. ie the cool light circles that come on to the triggers when you hit drums or cymbals that you see on your screen.. mine were only showing up once in an while.. on the samples and in some youtube videos they were lighting up in perfect coordination to the beats of others.

Well I found the settings, if you have Note Off set to be sent in your midi settings, you need to turn that to not sent. Now the drum images for each kit I'm using, or the volume knobs (when there's no drumset pictured) will light up as I play the different instrument triggers. Like I say, it was probably something that was mentioned somewhere, or maybe not.. but I couldn't find it and it was a bit of a letdown because that visual cue is both really cool as well as helpful to see that the pads or cymbals you're hitting are coming through on the correct parts.. for one thing, not the end of the world, but I realized I had my cymbals 2 and 3 reversed.. may have been fine but I generally like my outside cymbals as standard crashes and the smaller one in the middle to be the splash or china, generally..or at least a smaller crash sound.. if I ever get a fourth cymbal I'll have it to the right and use it as a big china.

Anyways, it's nice to have the "halo" lights working..makes playing with a vst even more fun  :)  and after all, isn't that what it's all about??
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

Re: Addictive Drums visual feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
Thank you for this. I will have to check my midi setting as it was driving me nuts. Not a deal breaker, but it can be handy.

Now I just need the snare to not be so sensitive when using AD2. I can barely touch it with my finger on the "shell" and it triggers. I have the snare in a seperate stand, so it's usually not a biggie. I was playing on a riser at a gig and it was going off big time.

I still want to to some light rolls when I need to, or have the dynamics there, but not when I inadvertently touch the side of it.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:53:11 PM »
Just up the threshold for the snare in the trigger settings. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »
on the DM10? Is it that simple. I was thinking it was something in AD2 that I had to do. I know where the Mapping window has overall sensitivity, but couldn't find it on an instrument level.

I will check the threshold on the snare a bit later today.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Definitely need to make sure it's set right on the DM10 first. Then in AD2 you can work with sensitivity as well from the midi mapping screen.. just click on the instrument in the list and to the right is a velocity curve you can adjust either with dropdown choices or you can manually adjust the chart. I find I do get an even higher amount of sensitivity and response using Addictive than just the module. Oddly enough, I recently started using the Pro X hi-hat, and so far it works better in just the module.. at least the chicks are more pronounced. But the overall hi-hat voicing and quality is better in AD when I'm tapping or barking it.. I'm finding this whole ekit thing both astounding and frustrating at the same time.. it's complex, yet once it works it's just so cool.. but it does take a lot of tweaking to get things to run smoothly. Just when you think you've got everything the way you like it, something changes (ie. all of a sudden my 8" upper tom is giving me some feedback.. it's from the springyness when I hit it hard or on the rim.. I hear a "doink doink doink" kinda sound.. and it's only on the 8" and just started happening.. maybe my rack moved, maybe I need to reposition how it sits on the L rod.. I do have my pads up and out from the rack towards me instead of right over the rack tubes, or hanging down off them so maybe there's more play/bounce.) Always something going on but I only hear it on certain kits. Maybe I need to turn down some sensitivity or turn up threshold..I've tried few settings, didn't fix it. So it's likely more mechanical than software.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya, My hi hiat responds intermittently (I'll check the module first) and the choke on my crash doesn't work anymore. I took it apart (there was a post on here how to fix it somewhere) and it worked for a while, but now not at all.

I love the hi hat sounds in AD2 and the kits are amazing.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
I changed this, but still do not get the correct visual feedback.
" if you have Note Off set to be sent in your midi settings, you need to turn that to not sent."

Can you tell me the correct place on the DM10 to do this so I know I changed it in the right spot?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »
Sure, it's page 16 of the manual and I'll attach the screenshot of the module image

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
Ok thanks.

So this is a per kit setting and not a global setting. Got it.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »
Yes, I had to go through all the pads/triggers.. but it wasn't too difficult since if I recall you stay on the same screen and just tap on each piece so it switches to that trigger's setting screen

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
Thank you very much.