Author Topic: New member, putting two kits together.  (Read 1493 times)

New member, putting two kits together.
« on: March 23, 2019, 05:52:34 AM »
  Hey People!
    Long time drummer getting back into it. ( kids are grown so the the hell not?)
 Here is the issue, I had a DM10X for a while now, VERY happy with it,  HOWEVER...
I saw that there were some customized kits that were rather large ( 2 to 3 times the pads)
 So, being clinically insane I found and purchased a DM10 and smashed the two together. Custom programming was painful, programming the DM10 for the higher end (left side) and the DM10X for the lower end ( right side)I'm not very computer literate. Long story short had a power outage, ( yes I have a surge protector) and poof, all customized programs gone. What I need to know is,

1. Are there programs out there that I can get that would program on brain for the higher end (DM10), and one for the lower end (DM10X), that I can save on a computer and load in as needed?

2. Is there a better way to use these two brains or get them to function as one? (Be it programming or another piece of equipment)

3.If not, is there any other way I can get this expanded kit off the ground without an act of god, congress, or needing to take a quantum computing course?

Thanks people!

Offline rhysT

Re: New member, putting two kits together.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »
Here is the issue, I had a DM10X for a while now, VERY happy with it,  HOWEVER...
I saw that there were some customized kits that were rather large ( 2 to 3 times the pads)
 So, being clinically insane I found and purchased a DM10 and smashed the two together. Custom programming was painful, programming the DM10 for the higher end (left side) and the DM10X for the lower end ( right side)I'm not very computer literate. Long story short had a power outage, ( yes I have a surge protector) and poof, all customized programs gone. What I need to know is,

1. Are there programs out there that I can get that would program on brain for the higher end (DM10), and one for the lower end (DM10X), that I can save on a computer and load in as needed?

2. Is there a better way to use these two brains or get them to function as one? (Be it programming or another piece of equipment)

3.If not, is there any other way I can get this expanded kit off the ground without an act of god, congress, or needing to take a quantum computing course?

An easy way to combine your DM10 modules is using preferred default kits in one of them and program some custom kits in the second module to trigger any extra (cymbals, percussion, etc) sounds. Then simply connect the headphones out of the latter module to the Aux input of the one with standard kits.

A more involved option using Midi expansion between DM10 modules is explained in this topic: https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=92.msg402#msg402
Try using one module with the standard DM10 kit sounds and assign extra instrument sounds to spare Midi notes in the same module as listed here: http://www.hellfiredrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/DM10-Midi-Note-Map.pdf
The secondary module would require custom kit/s programmed to trigger the Midi notes assigned in the primary module.

Alesis didn't provide an editor for DM10 modules so you should get familiar with the Op manual, and it has some info about saving kit config settings in a Sysex file for each module (page 31).

Let us know if you need more help with your setup.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:56:20 AM by rhysT »

Re: New member, putting two kits together.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
Another option is to buy a midi merger device, (takes to midi inputs and sends them as one output to your computer) then use software like Superior Drummer and just put whatever sound you want based on the sets you have, massibly expandable, and yes it can get very expensive too....

https://www.amazon.com/DriverGenius-Interface-4-Splitter-Controller-Synthesizer/dp/B07M6WLG7W/ref=asc_df_B07M6WLG7W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312154365034&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13981410861721209612&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033415&hvtargid=pla-652963565480&psc=1

not sure if this is the one but you want one that takes two inputs and combines them as one output...