Author Topic: mesh heads or standard mylar?  (Read 6907 times)

Offline H3RB

mesh heads or standard mylar?
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »
its not a "should i replace the heads thread" it is kinda but with a difference.
i have a dm5 pro kit atm and i replaced the mylar heads with mesh heads after following hellfire's tutorial. the thing is i really dont like the feel of the mesh heads, the bounce is great but the mesh itself is strange feeling. my toms are slightly angled and when doing fills etc you can feel the tip of the stick sort of slide across the head.
so my question is, can i do the mesh head mod but without the mesh head? basically can i just switch the foam around inside then put the mylar head back on so i can have the feel i like with the bounce and quietness of the mesh heads.

anybody dont this? any info would be great as my dm10 kit will arrive soon but i dont no if i should buy more mesh heads or just keep the sexy black mylar ones.

Offline Guinness

Re: mesh heads or standard mylar?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
I'm kinda confused...  but I think you're asking if you can put the mylar head back on to an already converted mesh head pad.  My answer is yes.

I could be wrong (but doubt it), so try it.  I'll take you 5 minutes to swap heads on a pad.  In theory it should work just fine.  You might have to mess with sensitivity a bit, but since you're not changing the internal configuration, I'd doubt you would even need to do that.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
at the min i dont have any of the mylar pads to try it, i do however have a dual zone pad on the way so i think ill try it on that one. just wondered if anybody had tried it at all

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
So you just want to swap out the foam, not the actual head itself?

I don't think you'll see as much of a difference unless you keep your heads pretty loose. The mylar is a harder material and if you loosen it too much, you're going to change the characteristic of the drum big time.

Tbh though, give it a shot. Let us know how it turns out.
Bobby D.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
will do, i would film the difference but dont have a cam lol
the spare pad should be here in a day or so so ill post back

Offline H3RB

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »
well i tried it today, the re bound is great but its just far too noisy >:( so guess ill just have to stick with my mesh heads