Author Topic: New to Edrumming and need guidance.  (Read 6040 times)

Offline mazzith

New to Edrumming and need guidance.
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »
Heya guys. First off I'd like to thank you guys for all the work and info you put into the reviews and these forums. I have been debating for months on if I should buy a edrum set or not. I am a bass player / guitarist / singer by trade and I do enjoy playing the drums but well not that good. With that being said I tend to second guess every decision I am trying to make because I could be missing something.

Now I first started to look at getting something in the 500 dollar price range used, but found that most were junk and I'd want to upgrade / replace right away. So after searching around I found the DM 10 which looks very impressive. While I have a mesh fetish from playing my friends roland V-custom 5k set I am not to worried about this set because I can upgrade to it. Now here is where the I get into trouble. I found a used TD10 setup here locally. The guy only has the mesh pad for the snare and rest are the rubber dual zone pads.

This is the setup for the roland td 10.

- 1 Roland TD-10 drum module (600+ professional drum & percussion sounds)
- 1 Roland PD-80R dual-zone mesh snare
- 2 Roland PD-9 dual-zone pads
- 3 Roland PD-8 dual-zone pads
- 1 Roland KD-8 bass pad
- 1 Roland FD-7 HH controller
- 1 DW-7000 bass pedal
- 1 Heavy-duty steel rack & necessary cables
- 2 Yamaha PCY-130 with mount / cables

The price tag on this setup is 950 dollars. It leaves me about 500-700 extra compared to the DM10 to upgrade some of the pieces and sell off the PD-9 and 8 pads. (found DM10 for 1300 w/ shipping from audio alliance. Guitar center will match and beat by 10% so 1170ish pre tax)

If you guys were able to pick between the two sets which would you pick and why? I have not found much on the TD10 but I hear it is solid though not sure if I can update the sets like in DM10.

Any help here would great be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:28:47 AM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline ghostman

Re: New to Edrumming and need guidance.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »
That's a pretty good deal.  I travel a lot and visit a bunch of music stores when I travel.  I found a TD-10 kit (Module, rack, all mesh, extra pads and a hard flight case to store it all) in AZ for $2000 - I thought that was a good deal.  I think your $950 is a good deal.

The TD-10 module itself sells on ebay for ~$700 bucks alone.  I'd snap that up.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
Actually, that price is in the ball park. It only has one mesh head pad. Is the TD-10 expanded (TDW-1 expansion card installed)? If not, its not worth it. If you plan on triggering sound via the computer I think you will be good with just about any module but, if you plan on recording the module itself, I would get something a little newer. I owned a TD-8 (similar sound set to the TD-10) for a long time. Lots of great tweak-ability to it but , the sounds in my Alesis DM10 are better.

If you really want Roland maybe you should look into a TD-4 or Td-9 set-up. I can tell you that if you really like mesh pads, its pretty easy (with a little soldering skills) to update the Alesis pro kits (DM5, USB, and DM10) to mesh. Just a thought.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
I was mainly looking for something I could learn on and play a lot to music. I want to be able to hook it up to my computer to record in protools also. This is a big reason I wanted a Edrum set. You can not get the same feel of a live drummer with a drum machine.

I spoke with the guy and it does not have the TDW-1 Expansion card.
I really like the DM10 but at the same time Roland makes great equipment. I heard a lot of problems with some of the older Alesis sets. I would end up upgrading the DM10 to mesh pads if I get it because I want it as quite as possible as I live in apartments.

Well I got to wait til next month to get a DM10 anyways so not trying to rush out and just buy something without doing a lot of research.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:03:08 PM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »
I was mainly looking for something I could learn on and play a lot to music. I want to be able to hook it up to my computer to record in protools also. This is a big reason I wanted a Edrum set. You can not get the same feel of a live drummer with a drum machine.

I spoke with the guy and it does not have the TDW-1 Expansion card.
I really like the DM10 but at the same time Roland makes great equipment. I heard a lot of problems with some of the older Alesis sets. I would end up upgrading the DM10 to mesh pads if I get it because I want it as quite as possible as I live in apartments.

Well I got to wait til next month to get a DM10 anyways so not trying to rush out and just buy something without doing a lot of research.
Since you are in an apartment I would highly recommend that you try out edrum kits before you buy them. Electronic drums is still an instrument that you hit and it does make an acoustic sound of some kind. They are not totally silent. Even though I think you would like the feel of the Surge cymbals I think they would be too loud for an apartment. Do you have a music store close to you that you could go and try out some edrums? Just to get a feel for what is out there. There is more than just Roland or Alesis. There is also Yamaha, Simmons, Hart, and Pintech.

As much as I like my DM10, I don't want to be a cheerleader and tell everybody to get what I have. Go see what is out there. See what best fits your taste and you budget and always see if you can try before you buy. ;)

Offline mazzith

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
Well yeah that kind of a given. The biggest issue is that a lot of stores do not sell what I have been considering. The only new set I was looking into was the DM10 and they are out of stock.

I been looking to learn from all of ya'll past experiences to help guide me. I would have never know anything about the TD10 expansion card and I guess that is a big difference.

I want to get the most bang for my buck, while getting something that is quiet but does not have to be silent and sounds great for recording.

I am still leaning towards the DM10 but always considering other options that might arise. Thanks for the input and guidance.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »
Well yeah that kind of a given.
Sorry about that. My statement about being totally silent was not really aimed at you but aimed at any new person who might be reading these post. I actually get asked a lot about how silent things are and it was a knee jerk reaction for me to state that. I hope there is no hard feelings on that one.

I want to get the most bang for my buck, while getting something that is quiet but does not have to be silent and sounds great for recording.
Then I think you would like the DM10 Pro Kit. I don't know if you have seen this yet but, I did a review of the DM10 (with video) over at HellfireDrums.com.

Alesis DM10 Pro Kit Review (part 1 of 2)

Alesis DM10 Pro Kit – Video Review (part 2 of 2)

I am still leaning towards the DM10 but always considering other options that might arise. Thanks for the input and guidance.
No problem. If you have a questions just ask. I will do my best to answer them.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
Sorry about that. My statement about being totally silent was not really aimed at you but aimed at any new person who might be reading these post. I actually get asked a lot about how silent things are and it was a knee jerk reaction for me to state that. I hope there is no hard feelings on that one.
No offense taken from your statement.

Then I think you would like the DM10 Pro Kit. I don't know if you have seen this yet but, I did a review of the DM10 (with video) over at HellfireDrums.com.

That is how I found these forums from those reviews.
But I think I'll end up with the DM10 just really do not want to wait til mid january to get it but I am sure I be the happiest with it.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »
No offense taken from your statement.

That is how I found these forums from those reviews.
But I think I'll end up with the DM10 just really do not want to wait til mid january to get it but I am sure I be the happiest with it.
Well, if you don't want to wait (and you are in the U.S.A.) have you tried Sweetwater? That's where I ordered mine from. Good people running that place.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
Yeah I found places that have them but I am not sure if they will match GC price. I found one for 1255.99 Audio Allies with 49.99 shipping. Now thats 1300 vs 1500.  Also Guitarcenter will match their price then beat it by 10% knocking another 130 dollars off. Now GC will cut their price more because at Audio Allies I do not have to pay sale tax (because they are not in my state, but GC is) so at the end of it all I will get DM10 from GC at around 1170 dollars out the door.

So it saves me about 470 dollars (330 from price match and 139.50 in tax)

All I can say is DAMN I'M Good.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:56:41 PM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »
Yeah I found places that have them but I am not sure if they will match GC price. I found one for 1255.99 Audio Allies with 49.99 shipping. Now thats 1300 vs 1500.  Also Guitarcenter will match their price then beat it by 10% knocking another 130 dollars off. Now GC will cut their price more because at Audio Allies I do not have to pay sale tax (because they are not in my state, but GC is) so at the end of it all I will get DM10 from GC at around 1170 dollars out the door.

So it saves me about 470 dollars (330 from price match and 139.50 in tax)

All I can say is DAMN I'M Good.  ;D
Great deal. You are the man!

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline mazzith

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
just found this on ebay $1199 or make offer                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-DM10-Pro-DM10Pro-Kit-Drum-Surge-Cymbals-B-Stock_W0QQitemZ300370429765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef790745

free shipping as well

Thanks I talked them down to 1100 for it. They are shipping it out tomorrow.  ;D
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »
just found this on ebay $1199 or make offer                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-DM10-Pro-DM10Pro-Kit-Drum-Surge-Cymbals-B-Stock_W0QQitemZ300370429765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef790745

free shipping as well

Thanks I talked them down to 1100 for it. They are shipping it out tomorrow.  ;D
congrats on the new purchase! Keep in mind those are listed as "B" stock. Sometimes that means returned items or blemished products. Let us know when you get them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:48:26 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »

free shipping as well

no problemo glad i could help ive used that company before there really good on cs and you get good deals enjoy them. this is true phil but sometimes you can score a good dealif you dont mind a scratch or sometimes its just a opened box during shipping and its perfect at a lower cost and you still get the full manu warrenty ( and btw phil i scored a porkpie little squealer for 80 its brand new will make a great snare for my ekit)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:26:34 PM by WOUND4SOUND »
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline mazzith

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

free shipping as well

congrats on the new purchase! Keep in mind those are listed as "B" stock. Sometimes that means returned items or blemished products. Let us know when you get them.

They tried to upsale me for 75 dollars for a new box. I talked them down to 50. So I am getting a A-Stock fact sealed box for 1150. Figured 50 dollars worth having it so no one has ever played them before.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
please do let us know how you get on  with it etc..
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline mazzith

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 02:08:06 AM »
Will do, excited to get it but I thinking it will not arrive until around the 4th. They did not ship it today so got to wait until monday.  >:(

Already cleared out the spot for it in my apartment ready to rock.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:10:11 AM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
Will do, excited to get it but I thinking it will not arrive until around the 4th. They did not ship it today so got to wait until monday.  >:(

Can't wait to see some pics of your new kit when you get it up and running. I should be able to get my video on how to convert the pads to mesh after the holidays. Sorry for the delay but, with the kids home over X-mas break it makes it a little tricky to do.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »

Can't wait to see some pics of your new kit when you get it up and running. I should be able to get my video on how to convert the pads to mesh after the holidays. Sorry for the delay but, with the kids home over X-mas break it makes it a little tricky to do.

Yeah I was looking all over for the videos for that. It appears the foam does not last long and they are a bit loud as they are.

Question for ya hellfire what is the dimensions of the kit? Trying to figure out if my spot i cleared will be big enough.
Lets go Cowboys!