Author Topic: DM10 MKII PRO KIT  (Read 8415 times)

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: DM10 MKII PRO KIT
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
Except that the Strike doesn't have the extra available MIDI notes, like the original DM10. So when it comes down to it, they really have nothing like the DM10 anymore.

Luckily, since they were sold as a separate unit (module) as well as several 'Kit' setups, we should be able to find those modules around for years to come. I could be wrong.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »
In reading through the User's Manual a bit (still looking at this as a possible expansion to my DM10X Mesh) it certainly appears that the Alesis development team has been trying to improve upon aspects of the DM10 and add new features and such.

Adding the ability to load in sound samples from USB is pretty cool, though limited (but not really considering the price of the whole kit). Instead of, say several layers of velocity ranges, each being able to accept x number of sample files, the DM10 MKII can take two samples per voice: A and B, and then the Velo parameter determines which is fired. Still pretty cool.

The manual is really quite short, so I'd recommend owners of the kit to read it over well enough to know everything it has to say. It can only make your experience with the kit stronger - although it (the manual) still seems to leave some level of 'getting used to' from a personal experience with the module/kit itself.

For example, it says that the MIDI Note parameter determines which note is SENT if using MIDI, but it never does mention whether or not the value(s) may be user-set. But it does have a nice little chart of the numbers being sent as well.

It's interesting seeing the changes made to voice setups. I'd love to get my hands on one to check it pout first-hand. Maybe I'll grab one this summer. We'll see.

Is there anyone here that has both DM10 and the MKII Pro? MKII Studio?

As for you who have the MKII Pro who have posted before... how are you getting on now with this thing? Sure looks like a nice kit.

Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »
Found out the kit files are in a ".kit" file extension. Is there any other module that has kits in such an extension? this is my next step of research it seems.

also I've run into my first serious problem: When I hit my crash 1 pad, once in a while it will start playing a song (one of those preloaded songs for you to play with) then I can hit it again to stop the song. Yes this basically means I can't use my crash 1 at all when this issue is occuring. Sometimes a simple power down and restart will fix it, and other times it won't stop until a factory reset. Only to come back a few hours later. 

No luck finding anyone else with my issue, (let alone another owner of this model of kit :P) so I made a support ticket. Will update as news comes for posterity or for someone else looking for a solution like I was.

The .kit file is a small file probably 2-3kb..it's the path to the samples used for the kit..it's not a kit
For the Crash 1 problem..enter the Kit menu
Press F1-Voice to enter the voice menu
Hit the pad you want to edit (in this case Crash1)
use the up down buttons and go to Pad Pattern...see if you can turn it off..or select none..

See if that's of any help...

apologies i never replied to this. you solved my problem, thank you.

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
Hi guys,

Ive played a TD9 in scotland for nearly 7 years but I now live in Slovakia and Im looking at buying a kit for my apartment and I like the look of the DM10 mkii Pro kit.

Can any of you users give us an update on this kit now you have had it for a while now please?

What do you think of the sounds?

Is the kit reliable so far?

How does it compare to other kits youve played?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give us.

Cheers!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
Can anyone using the DM10 MKII Pro module confirm that 2 way audio passes through USB.
If so..is there a menu option or page/parameter setup in the module?
Thanks !
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:41:32 PM by Chaser »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
Hi guys,

Ive played a TD9 in scotland for nearly 7 years but I now live in Slovakia and Im looking at buying a kit for my apartment and I like the look of the DM10 mkii Pro kit.

Can any of you users give us an update on this kit now you have had it for a while now please?

What do you think of the sounds?

Is the kit reliable so far?

How does it compare to other kits youve played?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give us.

Cheers!

I had one and returned it for a strike.   I just felt it was a half baked concept.  Lots of potential that probably didn't get fully realized because of it competing with the strike.    I think what bothered me the most was that while you had nearly limitless control over almost every single parameter you could think of, tweaking these controls didn't tweak the sound in the way one would expect these controls to work.   As in yes you could change the decay of the note but one increment was so extreme that it made the sound unusable and thus the feature useless as well.   I'm not a very experienced drummer but even my novice ear could hear the limitations in the samples as well.  With my strike if I hit my bass drum and snare at the same time that is exactly what you hear, me playing both pads at the same time with no ill effect except that it would sound very good.  In the MKII pro you hit those two things together on accident and you would think you triggered the next apocalypse with the odd noises it would make.   And I couldn't help but feel that many of the sounds lacked any dynamic elements you expect.  Like I hit the snare and in only a few cases did it seem like the sound was different when playing soft vs playing loud.   Seemed like the same sample just louder or softer.   I find the strike to be much more realistic and responsive to playing technique.   And the pads just really feel 100 times better to play.   I know the strike is a bit more money.  But if someone can swing even the smaller version and add pieces later its a much more satisfying playing experience.  And if you cant afford the strike I honestly would go for a used Dm10 or even an alesis mesh kit with a VST or different module.

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Hi

New to this site but have just purchased the MkII Pro Kit and am not too sure about the module either?
Just wondering what you think about the idea of replacing the MkII Pro Kit module with the STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module, and keeping the hardware and mesh pads of the MkII Pro Kit since I do like the look and feel of them.
Do you think the new STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module would make a vast improvement on the sound and response of the mesh, or is it better to just return this kit and get the ALESIS Strike Pro kit?

Thanks
ALESIS Pro Kit w/upgraded Strike Performance Drum Module.
NO cymbals for precise quiet playability [2-Roland PDX-6", 1-Roland PDX-8"mesh pads as HiHat, Crash, Ride]. AKG K52 Closed-back headphones.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Hi

New to this site but have just purchased the MkII Pro Kit and am not too sure about the module either?
Just wondering what you think about the idea of replacing the MkII Pro Kit module with the STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module, and keeping the hardware and mesh pads of the MkII Pro Kit since I do like the look and feel of them.
Do you think the new STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module would make a vast improvement on the sound and response of the mesh, or is it better to just return this kit and get the ALESIS Strike Pro kit?

Thanks

The pads are almost the same design. But the kick and sizes are much more satisfying.  For me I like having the whole experience.  And the only way to get the warranty on the module is to buy the full kit.  Even if you sold off the pads you want that warranty.