Author Topic: Hellfire Conversion Kick Pad Issues  (Read 2199 times)

Hellfire Conversion Kick Pad Issues
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
So I dove in head first and disassembled my Kick Pad this afternoon after work and followed Hellfire's DIY tutorial. Unfortunately after reassembling it I was unable to get any response from the trigger whatsoever.

Just for some background, here was my first post about the kick pad issues:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=5389.0

My initial thoughts are the piezo is done for, considering I was having issues with it almost from the get-go but I also thought I may have just soldered incorrectly. I wasn't able to find a diagram of a single zone pad wired up correctly to the input jack so I may still be wrong on that front.

Since I had a TRS input, I followed this diagram (http://www.hellfiredrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/DD602TRS.jpg) and soldered the black wire to "Sleeve" and the red wire to the "Tip".

If I am right in assuming that my piezo is shot and my guesswork with the soldering iron was accurate, is there anything I should know of before looking for a replacement?

Offline Trondster

Re: Hellfire Conversion Kick Pad Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
Yes, your piezo might very likely be shot.
Tip and sleeve is in deed the way it should be soldered.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
Is there any specific size or type of piezo i should be looking for?

From what I've gathered, I should be able to go to Radioshack and grab a standard piezo "buzzer" and remove the outer plastic casing. Am I missing something?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:45:56 AM »
Just buy a couple of 27mm piezos from eBay. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.