Author Topic: Hey guys, picked up a Simmons DA200S drum amp  (Read 12517 times)

Offline Rev2010

Hey guys, picked up a Simmons DA200S drum amp
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
Pretty kickass amp! Goes loud, and the sub is really sweet, can certainly shake the room quite a bit when turning up the sub and low a bit. Only got a few minutes to try it tonight cause of the hour but will put it through the paces tomorrow and report back ;)

Rev.

Offline Guinness

Re: Hey guys, picked up a Simmons DA200S drum amp
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:59:33 PM »
How much?
Good looking amp.
Good specs too:
The Simmons DA200S houses a 100-watt low-frequency amp with two 50-watt mid- and high-frequency amps. The low-frequency amp projects from a heavy-duty 12" down-firing sub-woofer speaker and a specially designed slot port for bottom-end projection. The left and right mid- and high-frequency amps project through 6-1/2" mid-range speakers and 2-1/2" high-frequency tweeters. Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz, tailored for accurate acoustic response for electronic drums.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
$255 since Guitar Center was running the 15% off sale for the 4th. Gonna be putting it through the paces in a few minutes.

Rev.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
K guys, I think this little beast kicks ass  ;D  Goes up much louder than I need, puts out a ton of bass (nice sub bass), is stereo, has well balanced mids and highs, and a great set of controls and features. I really dig this thing. Thumbs up from me.

Rev.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »
Also just want to let you guys know as one of my main questions before buying was how loud does it go? Well today I turned LOUD, and still not even 3/4 the way up. This thing is so loud if you used it turned up you can actually damage your hearing, no shit. And as mentioned I didn't even go 3/4 the way, I think I was a pinch past midway and with it facing the drumkit it was insanely loud. This little box puts out a shitload of volume, quite astonishing actually. And best of all it doesn't lose any bass when you turn up loud, it keeps the balance of frequencies. Some amps I've tested other things lose a bit of low end but not this one.

Rev.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »
good to know.   I was going to build a cabinet, but instead, I'm putting this on my To Purchase list, along with a 10" splash and china from Smarttrigger.

Thanks for the review.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »
good to know.   I was going to build a cabinet, but instead, I'm putting this on my To Purchase list, along with a 10" splash and china from Smarttrigger.

Thanks for the review.

My pleasure man! I honestly was a little worried due to the size of the cabinet and sketchy brand name. Was gonna go with a Mackie Thump or Behringer B215D PA speaker instead but had read some reviews state a slight lack of mid range on the Mackie and slight lack of bass on the Behringer while the greater majority of review of the Simmons were positive. Boy was I surprised! It goes up much louder than I need for a full band jamming in my house and as a monitor like I said can go loud enough to cause hearing damage. So it should evem be good for live use and has the outputs to pass through to a FOH system.

As for the cymbals, ha... yeah I hear ya man! Was talking with my drummer and he really feels we should have three cymbals for diversity so we may be picking up another as well. I think that 10" Splash from Smartrigger would make a good addition as it's smaller and easier to squeeze in.

Rev.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
Rev,

I have one too, and like you, I love it!  I actually want another one for REAL stereo (it's hard to hear any separation at a distance of more than a few feet).  I have had it on several gigs and it has always been great.  Plenty loud, plenty o' bass!  Kinda hard to carry... but that might be more of a comment on my physique! ;)

I picked up a little Rolls EQ210 box (stereo EQ) and it really helps to dial in the freqs.  I don't much care for the EQ on the Simmons- not enough variability.  With the EQ, it's much better!

Have you tried the external speaker outs?  I have been toying with this idea too...

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
Nope, having tried them, but I know the spec sheet says it's max 30watts per side. I'm using it for jamming out with the band in my music room. With the gear I have it certainly beats spending $40-$50 an hour for a nice studio in the city PLUS the hassle of trekking all the way there with my gear from Jersey via mass transit. No cost, no pressure, can drink beer, stop to eat and chill, etc.

So for what we're using it for it sure goes waaay louder than we need. And yesterday we were playing LOUD turned up not even fully half way. Computer running (running DFH Superior) -> Mackie Onyx firewire mixer outs into the DA200S. We're loving this little beast  ;D

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
I wonder how this compares to something like the TransActive Drummer from Alesis....

That's a nifty little amp.
Bobby D.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
I wonder how this compares to something like the TransActive Drummer from Alesis....

Honestly, I think there's probably no comparison. I'm sure the Alesis amp is still sweet, but the design of the Simmons is brilliant. It's small and incredibly loud, but the sub... aaah the sub, that's one of it's highlights. It can move a good amount of air and shake some walls lol. Plus, the fact that it's a 3-way speaker system (has separate sub, midrange, and high frequency drivers) really lends to a well balanced reproduction of sound.

Like I said, I'm sure the Alesis amp is nothing to sneeze at, I just think the Simmons is probably on a different level.

Rev.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:02:05 PM by Rev2010 »

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
Nice.. I was looking to pick one of those up..good to hear the review..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
I gotta chime in on this thread and say I HIGHLY recommend this amp.  Played with it for the first time this past weekend with some friends at a party that started outside but then got moved into the basement due to rain.  Both inside and out, this amp rocked!  I could not beleive how much bass this little thing kicked out.  The sub on this amp is its best feature.  Plenty of volume, too.  Definitely one of the best purchases I've made in my recent GAS attacks.  Two big thumbs up!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »
TransActive = 50watts
Simmons = 200watts
That's a big difference, and obviously noted by the low end reviews.

Question:  (and I'll find out for myself some day in the not too distant future)   Is the low end boomy?  Many ported Subs gain great db's due to the design, but the db curve tends to spike at 40hz.  This can sometimes make it sound boomy, as opposed to a crisp, solid thump.

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
TransActive = 50watts
Simmons = 200watts

Question:  (and I'll find out for myself some day in the not too distant future)   Is the low end boomy?  Many ported Subs gain great db's due to the design, but the db curve tends to spike at 40hz.  This can sometimes make it sound boomy, as opposed to a crisp, solid thump.

Awesome, thanks for the wattage specs :-)

I know Simmons was kinda bitchy when I tried to sign them last year, wonder if they'll be a little more responsive this time around. See if I can score these cheap(er) for everyone.
Bobby D.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »

I know Simmons was kinda bitchy when I tried to sign them last year, wonder if they'll be a little more responsive this time around. See if I can score these cheap(er) for everyone.

I'll buy one from you.  Not sure exactly when, but sometime soon-ish.   So, get signed up.  :D   Also, see if you can get set up with Smarttrigger.  I want to pick up a new cymbal or two in the not too distant future as well.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »
TransActive = 50watts
Simmons = 200watts

I didn't find the low end to be boomy at all.  Quite the opposite.  Several musician friends who heard it made very positive comments about it.  It may not have the physical "punch-in-the-chest" kind of thump you 'd get from a 15" or 18" sub, plus it's a down-firing sub, so the air doesn't move directly at you, but it's definitely a noticeable thump.  It has a separate sub level knob, and I turned it up and down as I was playing to see what effect it had, and the sub makes all the difference in the world.  Very clean, natural, and very buttkickin'!

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 04:47:28 PM »
Question:  (and I'll find out for myself some day in the not too distant future)   Is the low end boomy?  Many ported Subs gain great db's due to the design, but the db curve tends to spike at 40hz.

Nah, it's tight and punchy, not boomy and loose. Plus you can always tweak the low which is centered at 50hz. So if for any reason you did think it was boomy, which again I honestly will say it's not, you could always dial down the sub a bit and raise the low knob. Of course it has a sub, so it can be boomy if you're using a kick that is, like a Roland 808 or one of those "Ballad" type module kicks that are low and have uber amounts of reverb LOL.

Rev.

Offline Tsints

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
Is there a shop that can ship it to Greece/Europe?
I've spent some time searching, but it seems like there isn't even a single one selling the DA200S outside of North America. Can anyone prove me wrong?
Internal transformer/different voltage issues for Europe maybe?

PS: It's been more than 2 months since I ordered the studio kit... haven't got it yet...  :(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:54:01 PM by Tsints »