Author Topic: Snare height  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Guinness

Snare height
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Ok... I've got a question.  And it's mostly because I'm lazy.  I'm lazy because I don't want to go out to the shed, get my ludwig snare and stand and set it up.   Why would I want to do that in the first place?   Well...  what height is the snare supposed to be?  i know, i know... it's subjective.  But, it's starting to bug me. I keep thinking my kids are messing with my throne and raising it.   

I think I might actually put the left post (under the module) back to a left foot.  Everything seems too low, and the top crossbar is maxed out.

If I go and set up my old snare, I'll be able to tell what my snare height should be, as that's what I was used to.   But then again, I'm lazy. :)

Suggestions?

Offline ghostman

Re: Snare height
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
it is subjective, but I think it is generally set at knee height or so.
I play 'heels up' and so my throne is higher, so that my knees are at a greater angle than 90*, and my snare head surface is just above my knee height.

darn those meddling kids!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Ok... I've got a question.  And it's mostly because I'm lazy.  I'm lazy because I don't want to go out to the shed, get my ludwig snare and stand and set it up.   Why would I want to do that in the first place?   Well...  what height is the snare supposed to be?  i know, i know... it's subjective.  But, it's starting to bug me. I keep thinking my kids are messing with my throne and raising it.   

I think I might actually put the left post (under the module) back to a left foot.  Everything seems too low, and the top crossbar is maxed out.

If I go and set up my old snare, I'll be able to tell what my snare height should be, as that's what I was used to.   But then again, I'm lazy. :)

Suggestions?
I actually, got rid of the two feet thing and made them posts pretty quickly after I got the kit. I think I have a picture floating around on the forum of that somewhere. Anyway I use a snare stand. I also have the module on its own stand as well. No more vibration problems that way. I normally have the top of the snare at the top of my legs when I'm sitting in my throne. I hope that helps.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:14:21 AM »
I actually, got rid of the two feet thing and made them posts pretty quickly after I got the kit. I think I have a picture floating around on the forum of that somewhere. Anyway I use a snare stand. I also have the module on its own stand as well. No more vibration problems that way. I normally have the top of the snare at the top of my legs when I'm sitting in my throne. I hope that helps.

I only did the one "foot".  I guess I ought to do both...  it'll take some of the cattywompus out of the rack.  But then I think my tom's will be too low.  But then again, I do have the "L" on the under side of crossbar.  So, I could change that around.

My snare is at my legs...  maybe it's just below, but I notice that I'm hitting my thigh alot. 

I just sat at the throne again.  Ya, the snare needs to come up.  It's level with my legs, but when I'm heel up, my thigh is a few inches above the snare.   I think that's my problem.   It wasn't really an issue until I took the left 'foot' off.   Looks like I have more adjusting to do.  :)

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »
As you said Guinness, it's a total personal thing.
Anyway here's what I usually do:

- set the throne height to what I'm comfortable with with my feet on the pedals;
- adjust the feet's aperture (angle)
- only then, set the snare. Adjust its height and angle depending on the technique used: this could depend on how many rim shots you use and if you wanna do some cross sticking without arching your back too much...
- now add the rest of the drumset
- try to play; the overall heights should be fine -- just a matter of fine 'tuning' from now on

But maybe this is just me...