Author Topic: Dm Dock? Hellfire was right  (Read 52004 times)

Offline vaikl

Re: Dm Dock? Hellfire was right
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »
As I wrote before, I don't believe that a DMTouch app that will include drum samples or a sequencer (as the picture simulates now) is a good idea for Alesis, because it's not their business.

The config app that is needed to help us to customize trigger settings is a completely other thing to do, because on the module it is programmed as close to hardware as it could be. By controlling the trigger parameters there's no MIDI or sysex to transmit and I'm still wondering how this can be done over the iPod connector only.

The only thing I can imagine is that the DMDock has a dedicated chip controller which *then* could be feeded via sysex with trigger params. Maybe Corvidae can help Alesis out with an own IOS app? ;)

Offline wildbill

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »
I'd rather have the Alesis DM10 module, and have Alesis working to further develop that.

But maybe I'm just old-fashioned. 

Offline drumday

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »
I'm with WildBill.  Understand the nature of the beast is that technology marches on & eventually whatever one bought will become obsolete.

Maybe the DM Dock is a great fit for pros & DYIers, I dunno.  But I'd expect that however it docks with an iPad & IPad2, that it will eventually not be compatible with iPad3 or whatever Apple produces down the road.

Like I said, nature of the beast.  If it satsifies a need & makes Alesis a better company, I'm all for it. 
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
But I'd expect that however it docks with an iPad & IPad2, that it will eventually not be compatible with iPad3 or whatever Apple produces down the road.

I'm not quite sure that it will be fully working with an iPad2, if I look at the Alesis support forum in the IOdock problem threads.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
The only thing I can imagine is that the DMDock has a dedicated chip controller which *then* could be feeded via sysex with trigger params. Maybe Corvidae can help Alesis out with an own IOS app? ;)

I'll do that! If you're reading this, Dan, drop me a PM! ;)

With some specs or info, I might be able to do the soundset thing, too.

I'm inclined to agree with you guys, though. It would make more sense for the iPad to be the "interface" and actually have a dedicated FPGA / microprocessor to handle the triggering and such (latency issues). I'm not really that familiar with the speed of the dock connector I/O ports, but I could see storing the soundsets on the iPad and transferring them over to the module itself on startup / set change. Shouldn't be _that_ hard to do and would give you flexibility.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »
The big question now is, will this new DM Dock trigger software (if they have it) have the changes put in to it that we have been asking for with the DM10 OS 2.0?

The more I think about the more I realize that Alesis needs to release a trigger software. DM Touch is a good name, I just hope it has better (meaning the DM10 2.0 suggestions) parameters. Don't get me wrong, I still want the DM10 2.0 but I fear that support for the DM10 will come to a stand still because of this new edrum platform. Actually we are know this is the case. No OS 2.0 and no sound sets is proof of that. I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »
If you look closely, the software lists brand-name snare drums: Yamaha, Pearl, Black Beauty, and DW. If the software is marketing-only, what are the chances they would list specific brands over generic-sounding names? I mean, no harm in doing that if the software doesn't really exist, but for some reason I can't explain, I think that's an indication the software is real.

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 05:35:08 AM »
aahhh, speculation time is the moment i prefer when Alesis is releasing someting new ... because i think we soon will be disappointed  :-\

The third party promises and the OS 2.0 request are here to warn us ! Wait before buying ! I still love the DM10 module but i would love more updates than new stuff (especially hi-hat control and sounds).

Again, i agree with Hellfire, it could be a nice tool for ipad owners but what about those who don't own it still ? Latency and possible software or Ipad crash could be very problematic in a gig too  :-\

Offline vaikl

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »
If you look closely, the software lists brand-name snare drums: Yamaha, Pearl, Black Beauty, and DW. If the software is marketing-only, what are the chances they would list specific brands over generic-sounding names? I mean, no harm in doing that if the software doesn't really exist, but for some reason I can't explain, I think that's an indication the software is real.

I have the same brand names in my Toontrack libraries. And in my BFD2 libraries. And in ...

That's no real hint, because that names are as generic as writing about "Chrysler car", "Porsche cabriolet" or "iPod touch". The icons are also generic and not brand specific.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Not more expense ha ha!!

I'm going to have to buy one.........so that will be me in the dog house indefinately / in a divorce court.....either, or!!  ;D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »
I want to see a video of this thing in action. So far Alesis has only posted two pictures. Wait, make that three pictures. Really a picture showing the iPad sliding into the dock. :( If you really want people jazzed over this, show a video. Please. ;D

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Thought I'd throw my hat into this discussion... good job HellFire on the prediction!  Also see some other familiar names over here...

I am definitely holding off on all upgrade plans until this thing pans out one way or another.  We need great samples and a great interface, as well as the triggering parameters.  Hopefully someone at NAMM will get more info soon...

Offline vaikl

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
2012 - the year of the iPad gear...

And another one, this time from Behringer:

There are other pictures under the Behringer link; it is more an IOdock rival.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
It looks a little nicer than the I/O Dock. I wonder if it has the same issue the I/O dock does?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »
Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DEYi5veZE

DM Touch is real. Sort of.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:02:30 PM by Hellfire »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »
It looks a little nicer than the I/O Dock. I wonder if it has the same issue the I/O dock does?

It shouldn't, because Behringer had the chance to develop strictly for IOS 5.x and their audio/USB drivers always had been robust.

I also like the audio/monitoring related knobs and buttons on the front. Much more practically than the IOdock.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
Here's a video:

Anyone can use there own sounds! Dan@Alesis said so.

Scratch the Anyone can use there own sounds. I watched the video again and he talks about an Alesis SDK that others can use to build their own app with.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »
Here's a video:

Anyone can use there own sounds! Dan@Alesis said so.

Ok,ok,ok,... let's sum up (if I'd understood Dan right):

1.) DMtouch will be developed as an Alesis app with Sonivox soundsets (the original makers of the BlueJay set, if somebody here doesn't know already).

2.) DMtouch is also a framework with the necessary libraries for setting up and customizing DM10 module's triggers (because I strongly believe that the internal logic of the dock is based on a DM10 module's brain). All drum software manufacturers could use this framework to make own apps with their libraries.

Now THATs another rocket for us.... :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
Ok,ok,ok,... let's sum up (if I'd understood Dan right):

1.) DMtouch will be developed as an Alesis app with Sonivox soundsets (the original makers of the BlueJay set, if somebody here doesn't know already).

2.) DMtouch is also a framework with the necessary libraries for setting up and customizing DM10 module's triggers (because I strongly believe that the internal logic of the dock is based on a DM10 module's brain). All drum software manufacturers could use this framework to make own apps with their libraries.

Now THATs another rocket for us.... :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

I believe that's correct and I agree about the dock being based on the DM10. However, why is there only two outputs? Why not four like the AmpDock or the DM10.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
The next thing to think about: If there's a framework for the hardware related settings and a connection to the IOS over the normal connector, then it's not a big step to develop an application for a Mac or PC to serve all the functions (via MIDI sysex) the IOS app will have.

AND maybe for this whole new setup a DM10 OS 2.0 is needed (mostly there is an update for software with a new framework development in sight).

Offline vaikl

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
However, why is there only two outputs? Why not four like the AmpDock or the DM10.

I'm not quite sure, but maybe this aux outs are *direct* outs for use with the dock's internal mixing routings only. Like connecting a guitar to the dock, pre-amping it and directly routing out to the aux without going into the iPad.

AFAIK the iPad doesn't have multiple, separate audio output channels for routing them to more than one stereo or 2 mono out.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
First price notice for the DMdock (i'm aware of): 299,- Euro
http://www.delamar.de/musik-equipment/alesis-dmdock-13092/ (in german)

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
This thing could be very cool... I told my wife and son that I might have to have one...  ;) ;)

I don't have an ipad, but might have to buy one.  My son isn't happy, because he's an Android fan... hahaha!   I've never been a big fan of apple products, but I might have to bite the bullet and get one now.  LOL

I think I'll wait for the first person on here to try this, figure out how it all works and learn from someone else's mistakes...  I'm usually an early adopter, but not this time!  I MUST be patient...

BTW, I noticed on Vaikl's post that it says this has a "foot switch input for changing kits"... that seems to be an addition over the DM10 module, eh?
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
BTW, I noticed on Vaikl's post that it says this has a "foot switch input for changing kits"... that seems to be an addition over the DM10 module, eh?

Well spotted, I didn't notice that before ;). But you could do this with the DM10 and a MIDI footswitch (like the Rocktron Midi Xchange) too.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
@Vaikl:  How would it work?  Would it just switch to the "next" kit, or can you set it up to go to various kits, etc?  Just curious.  What midi note(s), if any, does it send?
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227