Author Topic: Alesis Strike doesn't allow me to save as Instrument  (Read 862 times)

Offline stylazyn

Alesis Strike doesn't allow me to save as Instrument
« on: November 21, 2022, 11:27:50 AM »
Hi all,
I am trying to make a kit from sounds recorded on the Strike through the AUX input. I can save sounds as a Loop only. There is no option to save as an instrument.

So I tried to make samples externally and import them as .wav files, using the proper sample rates, but the files are not seen by the module.

I guess I am stuck, unless there is a way to make .sin files which Alesis apparently reads, but I haven't figured that out. To bad Alesis didn't have software to do this.

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis Strike doesn't allow me to save as Instrument
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 01:41:14 PM »
Hi all,
I am trying to make a kit from sounds recorded on the Strike through the AUX input. I can save sounds as a Loop only. There is no option to save as an instrument.

So I tried to make samples externally and import them as .wav files, using the proper sample rates, but the files are not seen by the module.

I guess I am stuck, unless there is a way to make .sin files which Alesis apparently reads, but I haven't figured that out. To bad Alesis didn't have software to do this.

You asked a similar question in another Topic....it's the same procedure

https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=9023.msg56166#msg56166

There are options for Saving after Editing..trimming etc

SAMPLE MODE..
Press Record..set options (AUX INPUT..INTERNAL..AUX+INTERNAL..STEREO or MONO) (select Internal to record the module/drums)
Press Record....PERFORM....Press Stop when done..
You can trim it by setting start and end points using the encoder dial and moving the brackets to the start/stop points or proceed directly to save it.

Press SAVE
Enter Name..
Press Arrow/Cursor down to SAVE
Use Data Dial/Encoder/Jog Wheel to scroll to Select..Instrument..Full Sample..Trimmed Sample..(you want to select Instrument)
Then down with the Cursor to Category..and use the Data Dial to select whatever Category you want to place the Instrument in.

Check the User Guide pg 25.

As far as .sin files from User wav files..Those are produced by the STRIKE Editor when you create instruments.

Editor , Guide etc is under downloads

STRIKE Downloads

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:01:22 PM by Chaser »

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 04:01:58 PM »
I watched a video on how to do it. The video failed to mention once you hit the Save button, you use the wheel to scroll through choices.
I was importing the Synth Bell sound on Tainted Love to a trigger and needed the instrument, not the loop. The wheel did the trick.

I was able to create a guitar loop as well for the beginning of Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis for the duo I play in. Sounds really awesome but I needed to adjust the volume in Audacity on my PC. The loop level has to be comparable to the drums (because I don't want to mess around too much during gigs).

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 06:14:17 PM »
I watched a video on how to do it. The video failed to mention once you hit the Save button, you use the wheel to scroll through choices.
I was importing the Synth Bell sound on Tainted Love to a trigger and needed the instrument, not the loop. The wheel did the trick.

I was able to create a guitar loop as well for the beginning of Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis for the duo I play in. Sounds really awesome but I needed to adjust the volume in Audacity on my PC. The loop level has to be comparable to the drums (because I don't want to mess around too much during gigs).

You can save the loop as an instrument then you will have full control in the Voices menu..including triggering it on/off
If you don't have extra triggers available or don't want to use any of the current triggers don't forget about the 2nd kick...

You can assign a loop/instrument (recommend Layer B) and set the Velocity range in the Layer to only start on 127..that way you can still play the instrument as normal..until you hit it hard to start the loop or hard to stop it (Loop Mode ON the 2nd hit will turn it off.).If Loop Mode is ON Decay adjustment is not possible,it defaults to 99.
If Loop Mode is OFF you can adjust/set the Decay but playback will be short and lower volume...the loop will not start below 50 even if Level is set at 99..set Decay at 99 it will play full length and at the Level setting .. hits in succession will re-trigger the loop..not stop it , so you will have multiple instances of the loop playing..started at different times.
You can setup a loop (regardless of length) with Loop Mode OFF and trigger a fade out while a hit keeps ringing or at the end of song etc.(Decay 50-98)..the fade out is only a few seconds..at Decay 99 the loop plays full length.

I recommend using a cymbal trigger w/choke for triggering loops.
If the loop/instrument is set to a cymbal layer (recommend B) the choke will stop the loop regardless if Loop Mode is ON or OFF.
The choke cannot start a loop as the module does not recognize it as a hit

Once a loop has started , it will start at the initial level setting so set it appropriately as you cannot adjust the level in Voices after it has started.
The Live (physical fader) will work (adjust the loop/layer B) level.
You can experiment with different combinations of Level settings if the Instrument and Lopp differ greatly and set the instrument (Layer A) High..and the loop (Layer B) to Mid or lower.
The Live (physical fader) will adjust both equally.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:51:04 PM by Chaser »

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 10:29:09 AM »

You can save the loop as an instrument then you will have full control in the Voices menu..including triggering it on/off
If you don't have extra triggers available or don't want to use any of the current triggers don't forget about the 2nd kick...

You can assign a loop/instrument (recommend Layer B) and set the Velocity range in the Layer to only start on 127..that way you can still play the instrument as normal..until you hit it hard to start the loop or hard to stop it (Loop Mode ON the 2nd hit will turn it off.).If Loop Mode is ON Decay adjustment is not possible,it defaults to 99.
If Loop Mode is OFF you can adjust/set the Decay but playback will be short and lower volume...the loop will not start below 50 even if Level is set at 99..set Decay at 99 it will play full length and at the Level setting .. hits in succession will re-trigger the loop..not stop it , so you will have multiple instances of the loop playing..started at different times.
You can setup a loop (regardless of length) with Loop Mode OFF and trigger a fade out while a hit keeps ringing or at the end of song etc.(Decay 50-98)..the fade out is only a few seconds..at Decay 99 the loop plays full length.

I recommend using a cymbal trigger w/choke for triggering loops.
If the loop/instrument is set to a cymbal layer (recommend B) the choke will stop the loop regardless if Loop Mode is ON or OFF.
The choke cannot start a loop as the module does not recognize it as a hit

Once a loop has started , it will start at the initial level setting so set it appropriately as you cannot adjust the level in Voices after it has started.
The Live (physical fader) will work (adjust the loop/layer B) level.
You can experiment with different combinations of Level settings if the Instrument and Lopp differ greatly and set the instrument (Layer A) High..and the loop (Layer B) to Mid or lower.
The Live (physical fader) will adjust both equally.

So, if I am understanding, I can assign a loop to start and stop with a trigger? This would need to be assigned top a specific custom kit, correct? I was thinking about picking this up for a percussive item but maybe I could also use it to loop: https://reverb.com/p/roland-bt-1-bar-trigger-pad

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 12:38:41 PM »
So, if I am understanding, I can assign a loop to start and stop with a trigger? This would need to be assigned top a specific custom kit, correct? I was thinking about picking this up for a percussive item but maybe I could also use it to loop: https://reverb.com/p/roland-bt-1-bar-trigger-pad

As long as it is a "loop/instrument"....it needs a .sin file in order to be assigned.
You can then assign to any Trigger/Voice/Layer of any Kit..
I recommended the 2nd Kick (you'll need to split the trigger) as few know about it and you can assign a MIDI note not commonly used if needed

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 11:17:46 AM »
I recommended the 2nd Kick (you'll need to split the trigger) as few know about it and you can assign a MIDI note not commonly used if needed
This is off topic, but thank you!

I had given up on splitting the kick on the Strike, as it seemed there was only one kick trigger. It turns out that there is indeed a second kick - the secret is that it can ONLY be accessed by using the Note Chase function, and it has the exact same name of "Kick Head". Turning the dial to select the 2nd kick it will not work. This is unlike the DM-10 where it's not hidden in this way. Oh well, Alesis works in mysterious ways and refuse to document or support any of it :))

This discovery was due to the guru (You!) mentioning the 2nd kick! :-D

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 11:39:58 AM »
This is off topic, but thank you!

I had given up on splitting the kick on the Strike, as it seemed there was only one kick trigger. It turns out that there is indeed a second kick - the secret is that it can ONLY be accessed by using the Note Chase function, and it has the exact same name of "Kick Head". Turning the dial to select the 2nd kick it will not work. This is unlike the DM-10 where it's not hidden in this way. Oh well, Alesis works in mysterious ways and refuse to document or support any of it

This discovery was due to the guru (You!) mentioning the 2nd kick! :-D

I have no idea why Alesis doesn't list/promote the 2nd Kick....
The majority of drum modules don't have it and most users are splitting a trigger without the extra MIDI note..... making the 2nd Kick a "Feature"

EDIT:
Added Link

I always try to post the link whenever mentioned/possible so it's easier to find.
I recommend assigning MIDI Note 35..that is the Acoustic Kick in GM Standard Map (General MIDI Standard Percussion)

Alesis STRIKE DOUBLE BASS Activation/ Physical Setup
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 12:47:00 PM by Chaser »