Author Topic: DM10 doesnt boot after failed rom update  (Read 1908 times)

DM10 doesnt boot after failed rom update
« on: May 21, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
Hi guys I need some help here. I think I have broken something :(
I was updating the rom, I use to have the blueJays but decided to go back to stock.
I turn the module on, usb connected and pressing REC. Selected the syx file and when flashing it says 'checksum error'.
I tried a few more times, then I decided use a different USB cable and ----here is when I fuk'd up--- I turn the module OFF and replaced the usb cable.
After that, it doesnt boot anymore:
I press 'on' button then the displays blinks one or two times and it doesnt boot, it just stays there with its 5 leds on :(

any idea?

thanks in advance

Offline Chaser

Re: DM10 doesnt boot after failed rom update
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:30 PM »
Hi guys I need some help here. I think I have broken something :(
I was updating the rom, I use to have the blueJays but decided to go back to stock.
I turn the module on, usb connected and pressing REC. Selected the syx file and when flashing it says 'checksum error'.
I tried a few more times, then I decided use a different USB cable and ----here is when I fuk'd up--- I turn the module OFF and replaced the usb cable.
After that, it doesnt boot anymore:
I press 'on' button then the displays blinks one or two times and it doesnt boot, it just stays there with its 5 leds on :(

any idea?

thanks in advance

Turning off during updating never ends well.Alesis warns about doing that.

See if The module will respond to a factory reset.

There are two ways to reset the DM10:

With the DM10 module powered off, press and hold the EXIT and STORE buttons.
While holding the EXIT and STORE buttons, power the unit on.
Once the screen says SYSTEM REINIT, release the EXIT and STORE buttons

To reset only the kits, sequences, or trigger settings:

Press UTILITY to enter the main Utility Menu.
Press SYS (F4) to access the Accompaniment Settings.
Press INIT (F2) to access the reinitialization page.
Use CURSOR UP/DOWN to move through the following menu items:
All Kits: All of the module’s kits and their settings will return to factory default
All Sequences: All of the module’s sequences and their settings will return to factory default
All Trigger Settings: All of the module’s trigger settings will return to factory default
Highlight the option you would like to reset, then press EXEC (F4).
A window will appear asking you to confirm your choice. To confirm and reinitialize the selected settings, press YES (F1). To Cancel, press CANCEL (F2 or F2).

https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/1560

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:24:56 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »
Thanks, I already tried it without success  :'(
It just doesnt boot. or respondo to any button.  It doesnt even get recognized as a usb device.
..on power on the displays lights on, stay blank for a second then it fades off  :'( :'(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:21:24 AM »
Thanks, I already tried it without success  :'(
It just doesnt boot. or respondo to any button.  It doesnt even get recognized as a usb device.
..on power on the displays lights on, stay blank for a second then it fades off  :'( :'(

If you can't get the module to reinitialize or back into update mode (Holding REC/Power on) and it won't show up as a device
(class compliant drivers) then for the most part , you "Bricked" the module.

The only other way to get .syx files into the module was through the 5 pin midi and an interface using programs such as Midiox,C6 Elektron (PC).
It is also much slower even tho most of the files are small except the sound ROM which is well over 100mb
You hold "STORE" button down when powering on,but I can't remember if the bootloader etc would transfer or if you need the original firmware.

There are a number of posts in the Search but mostly for trigger settings and "All Memory" backups.

You either have to contact Alesis and send it in or wait for a member that still has/had an original DM10 module and dealt with a midi restore to chime in.
Alesis used to have a tech that dealt with this and also downgrading the module and would supply the needed files etc,but I believe that tech is no longer with them.You will need to check with support.