Author Topic: Apologies if already asked (Closed Hi-hat on DM10)  (Read 4831 times)

Apologies if already asked (Closed Hi-hat on DM10)
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
Suspect the answer is lurking for me somewhere within. What is the general advice surrounding double bass pedals and hi-hats?

I am just new to drumming and picked up a DM10 with double bass pedals.

I am struggling to get my head around how to handle playing double bass pedals and get a closed snare sound.

I can't help but think that buying a proper snare with a drop clutch would be a nice solution and free up a spare input to use with the other spree and these http://www.682drums.com/ROW/t-Rigg-set-of-2-p-16207.html

Or...is the new Alesis Hi Hat I saw mentioned here worn waiting on?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:28:18 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Trondster

Re: Apologies if already asked
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »
I guess you by "snare" mean "hi-hat".

You could make a foot switch connected to the hi-hat pedal, and there are many other interesting DIY ideas you could use.

And - see this one, from DMDrummer member Drumagination:
http://www.drumagination.com/hi-hat.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:41:00 AM by Trondster »
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
Sorry, my bad.........hi-hat, NOT snare!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
Is there an actual wiring schematic for that foot pedal mod?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
See the PDF at the bottom of that page for an explanation, anyway.
You could make a foot switch in parallel with the pedal, shorting the pedal when activated - and the pedal will register as fully depressed.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
I did it the way described in this post, and it works fine for open and closed HH positions.
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1320.15

(BTW, I did the one with the foot switch / button, and I mounted the switch on the left side of my HH pedal permanently)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:24:26 PM by vtdrummer »
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:00:13 AM »
That sounds like a good solution. Latched switch and mono splitter ordered. Got a pic of your pedal?

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »
Here are a couple pictures attached...

I used a shallow metal outlet box to mount the switch on, to raise it to the height to match my pedal.

Notice the small wooden shim on the bottom of the outlet box, because the box was off the floor, and needed something to keep it from rocking when pressed.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:12 AM »
OK, I got half the puzzle in place when the mono splitter arrived yesterday.
Had a rummage in the loft and found a non latched switch which made for some interesting thinking.

Placed it at the heel of the second double bass pedal and it allows you to close the hats by pressing your heel down.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
Ok, got the latched pedal through and am a happy camper.

Difference between the latched and non latched version is that with the non latched version, you can jump straight back to the hi-hat and it works as normal.

With the latched version the hi-hat pedal is redundant until you unlatch the switch.

Now......if I add a potentiometer to the latch switch, can I choose between closed or semi closed as. Mentioned in an earlier reply?

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 04:31:38 AM »
HI everyone

good post here!

but I was trying to find a simpler solution.

Anyway the hi hat can sound always closed ?

I have tried to change on module, but there is no option to change the closed (only) sound

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
HI everyone

good post here!

but I was trying to find a simpler solution.

Anyway the hi hat can sound always closed ?

I have tried to change on module, but there is no option to change the closed (only) sound

It's been a while since I used my DM10. If I recall, it matters where you assign the hi-hat. Meaning if you assign the sound to the head of a trigger you will get the open sound but, if you assign the hi-hat to the rim you get a closed sound.

If that doesn't work, your other option is to assign the sound to the trigger you want it on and adjust the "Decay" of the sound. This is a good way to make a hi-hat sound partially open (like a half open sound).

I hope that helps.

Re: Apologies if already asked (Closed Hi-hat on DM10)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »
Hi Hellfire

Thanks for you message.

From what I understand I just need to apply the closed sound to the rim and will always sound closed ? I didn't know hi hat had a rim option, don't remember to see it...

Later when I get home I will try :)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Apologies if already asked (Closed Hi-hat on DM10)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »
Hi Hellfire

Thanks for you message.

From what I understand I just need to apply the closed sound to the rim and will always sound closed ? I didn't know hi hat had a rim option, don't remember to see it...

Later when I get home I will try :)

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. The only way to get an always closed sounding hi-hat is to assign a hi-hat sound to another trigger (other than the hi-hat trigger) and it must be assign to the rim zone of that trigger. Meaning if you want a closed hi-hat sound on Tom #1, you would need to assign the sound to the Tom#1 Rim to get closed and Tom #1 head to get open hi-hat. 

I hope that's a little clearer.