Author Topic: 2 in 1 Module Drum Set (DM10+DM8) with new drum room constructions  (Read 9476 times)

2 in 1 Module Drum Set (DM10+DM8) with new drum room constructions.
(Dual layer tennis ball drum riser: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4068.0)

I hope Gerdy doesn't mind I borrowed his topic title,

When I got my DM10X back in July (my first real drum set after playing guitar hero for three years), I've worked tirelessly learning as much as I can from this website to improve my drumming experience. Over the last 6 months I've been upgrading, adding pads, tweaking to my heart's content. Unfortunately I didn't have a room available where I can practice all day long, drumming session were few and far between. Luckily my dad is a carpenter so we were able to design and build a room in the basement:

Insulation between the studs and a layer of homasote in front, each electrical outlet in the room runs on its own 20 amp circuit.

Insulation in the ceiling and a layer of energy shield underneath.

The wall is angled on the right side because of the copper pipes that run along the wall, wonderboard is used to protect the wall from any potential leaks.

A look at the outside of the finished room.

And now the inside

From bottom to top:
-2x4 PT ramset to the basement floor (because of room height limitations it's set on the flat instead of on edge)
-2x4 joists
-a layer of plywood
-a layer of homasote
-carpet
-door threshold
-weather strip for keeping the doorway tight
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:23:52 PM by soccerdude84 »
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Re: 2 in 1 Module Drum Set (DM10+DM8) with new drum room constructions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
And here is my drum set

And here's my project:

The DM10 uses the Blue Jay sound set and connects to the DM8 via MIDI (so I can take advantage of both stock sounds and blue jay sounds), all the triggering is controlled by the DM10 and the main outs from both modules get sent to the mixer, along with stereo rca input from my mp3 player. I bought an Alesis mounting plate and velcroed it to the bottom of the mixer so the clamp can hold it. The output from the mixer goes to my headphones and my amp.

I also managed to control the kit change of both modules using only the dm10, thought it can't really be demonstrated using pictures. I have 3 custom drum kits, 120 is the mix of both stock and blue jay, and two others that only use the blue jay  or the stock sounds.

I bought a pair of drink holders and use one of them to hold the mp3 player instead of leaving it on the ground.

The pads are all mesh head converted using the hellfire conversion method (8" and 10"), and Gerdy conversion for 12".

I replaced the wingnut on the ride cymbal for a standard nut and put the soft washers on them so I can hit the bell without fear of the hitting plastic with the stick (thank you Gerdy).

Left stick holders, color coded to the original pair.

Right stick holders

I fashioned a makeshift rod of a small cymbal arm (I removed the cymbal holder and kept the arm), then clamped it to the frame and put my stick holder on it.

The bass pad is secured with 4 inch screws that go all the way to the plywood, with a set of rubber feet to offset the distance beween the mat and the plate.
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »

Another project of mine, I originally bought a twin pedal set of tama speed cobras but didn't like the difference in feel between the right and left pedal (because of the connecting rod and the complications involving retriggering when using two beaters on one pad). So I had to buy a new drive shaft and a new beater holder, I chose to keep the old beater holder where it is in case I have to switch which I can do easily in under 5 minutes.

I also had to buy a hoop clamp, and since the slave pedal doesn't have the screw that keeps the hoop clamp from rotating, I took a bolt and cold welded it to the frame (I forgot to take a picture of it).

My headphones and headphone holder.

Even after wrapping the cords it still looks messy

Every cable is labeled on both ends and pre-measured to make each cable as short as possible based on its destination. I took the original cable snake, cut it open, cut off the labels and rearranged them to meet the dimensions of the drum set.

Two of them, despite being 10 feet long, still couldn't reach so I got some 6 inch 1/2" to 3.5mm converter cables and plugged that into a 3.5mm to 1/2" converter jack.

I used the velcro straps that came with the drum kit to keep the cable secure to itself (useful for transporting the cable snake) and bought a pack of 50 velcro ties to strap it to the frame.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:13:34 PM by soccerdude84 »

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

The drum mat is 3/4" thick anti-fatigue puzzle flooring.

Surge protector, the transformers are taking up 4 slots.

Simmons DA50 50 watt drum amp

AC (cover's off), useful for reducing moisture given the unsatisfactory humidity levels in the basement due to an aging mortar and field stone foundation. Oh and it's good for cooling the room I guess.

Roc N Soc drum throne with back support (I usually play 4 hour sessions and like to lean back now and then)

Old mylar heads that I use as covers for the mesh head plus a bag of essential drum tools

Box of spare cables, rubber feet, gloves, drum screws, velcro, miscellaneous parts and microfiber sponges for cleaning the cymbals with 303 protectant

Spare sticks, manuals, the old metal plate that was on the slave pedal, and the orignal mesh beaters along with drum patches.

A container full of extra foam pieces and the remainder of the speaker foam used in the 12" mesh conversion.

I can't get a full shot of the entire front of the set because it's so close to the wall so here's a half-assed attempt at merging 3 pictures which doesn't come out too well if you are rotating the camera.

Thank you for reading!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:11:30 PM by soccerdude84 »

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
FANTASTIC!!!!! Wish I had a similar room... I suppose is good enaugh even to isolate an aoustic drum kit inside, isn't it?
Congrats my friend, really cool  ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
Great looking kit and practice room! Play on, my friend!
Currently the future is running a bit late..  Old kit: DM5 Pro cone-mesh conversion. DM10 & Yamaha DTX Module. Yamaha RHH-135 Roland PD-125...... New kit: DM10 Studio  Mesh. Strike Module and Hi-Hat. Hart Dynamics Accusnare...

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »
Very impressive soccerdude84! :o

Offline Trondster

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »
Impressive - very well done!
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Awesome!!  :o

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:33 AM »
Wow! Spic and span, I dig it! I think I'll look around for some nuts for my cymbal heads too, thanks to you and Gerdy too!

- Jimmy Rage

Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

Offline Sam

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:18 PM »
Wow! Very impressive man! This is inspiring for me cause I'm about to do a lot of upgrades(mesh heads, amp, addictive drums, more triggers). Keep up the great work.
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Greg

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Awesome work. Now all you need are stage lights to get in the mood, lol..

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:07:06 AM »
Haven't updated in a while, here's some of the stuff I've modified in the past few months:

Added a Trigger iO, it was actually a lot more complicated than it looks to not only make it fit on the same stand but also make the LCD visible. It kept bumping into the bottom of the DM10, side of the DM8, and the several clamps that are all cramped together.

New headphones on the left (GK Ultraphones), they're like the Vic Firth's I had except more comfortable, better sound quality (they use the famous mdr 7506 drivers), and they even isolate better. I also moved the splashes closer together and added a new crash on top.

Moved my other splash over and added a Roland Pd8.

The 10 foot cable that was running to my china (on the stand) was running too close to the Pd8 for my liking so I had to replace it with a 15 footer that I ended up running down the rack to the floor, and then all the way up the stand just spread out all the extra length. I also replaced the old Vater stick holder with the nylon On Stage holder. Since the drum riser was absorbing so much vibration, it was making the old metal holder shake so much which made a  high pitched clang sound. The nylon is completely quiet.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 03:28:04 AM »
Mentioned before that the original Alesis down tube broke, replaced it with a Gibraltar and added a counterweight for good measure. I also rotated the rack clamps for the toms to get more height, something that took me way too long to realize.

I figured out a while ago that the biggest cause of zone xtalk is that the rim and head piezo are just too close to each other. So what I did was get a 3 inch shell and fill all the extra space with foam (minus the center). When the head is tightened it compresses the foam, if there's a small amount of foam then the vibration travels easily because it's more compressed. But with a lot of foam it doesn't compress as much, so the vibration doesn't travel as far. I also had to buy longer drum screws.

I replaced the stock snare stand which didn't go as high as I wanted with a used Pearl stand.

The spaghetti monster grows.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 03:33:33 AM »
I've also been purchasing autographed posters to hang around the room and make it look less drab.