Author Topic: Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0  (Read 56596 times)

Alesis

Re: Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, and thank you to Phil for compiling the feedback into readily digestible form. We've already passed the list through a first review and the good news is that many of these points were already in our plans.

I cannot give you a timeline on the release, and will not discuss specific features or capabilities, but I can say with certainty that it will be a free update.

Thank you again for your input and support.
Dan

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
that is a fantastic teaser !!!! :o

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »
that is a fantastic teaser !!!! :o
Maybe just maybe Alesis will roll it out around NAMM. Ya know

:o The new and improved DM10! :o
or

The new Alesis DM10 ver. 2.0

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
Fantastic news! Great to see that Alesis is seeking the input of its users, especially in such a public forum. Looking forward to what may be coming.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »
Free update, great! I would have payed for it - with that amount of new features. But now it's too late... ;D

Orangeblood

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
I mean you talk to people and they think that Alesis copied Pearl's module...
Interesting. I believe your are on the Pearl forum Orangeblood. If you read over there, a lot of those members bemoaned the fact the Pearl RED Box was base on an Alesis DM10. I also, saw a lot of people over at Vdrums making comments about that as well. I believe Pearl even came out and stated they worked with Alesis on the Pearl RED box. I think it is a widely know fact to many involved in the edrum community that the Pearl RED Box is a modified Alesis DM10. Maybe those people you talked to are not involved with the edrum community that much? Just a thought.

Modified? I should say so.
Should I post the numbers of times it's mentioned elsewhere..that's not what is mentioned lately.
 The point being is the module maker has fallen behind the company that they made the module for....3rd party stuff.
It's beating a dead horse, but damn what company in the world lets a competitor beat them using their own damn equipment. Sad.
I agree w/ Rev. He had a very valid point in his argument that was
abruptly cut off.
And to think I went out and bought another DM10....why I ask myself?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:31:20 AM by Orangeblood »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
I mean you talk to people and they think that Alesis copied Pearl's module...
Interesting. I believe your are on the Pearl forum Orangeblood. If you read over there, a lot of those members bemoaned the fact the Pearl RED Box was base on an Alesis DM10. I also, saw a lot of people over at Vdrums making comments about that as well. I believe Pearl even came out and stated they worked with Alesis on the Pearl RED box. I think it is a widely know fact to many involved in the edrum community that the Pearl RED Box is a modified Alesis DM10. Maybe those people you talked to are not involved with the edrum community that much? Just a thought.

Should I post the numbers of times it's mentioned elsewhere...I know what I read and where I read it.
I wasn't meaning to sound confrontational but now that I look back at the message I can see why you thought that. I was just trying to figure out if maybe the people you have heard those thing from, if they were involved in the edrum community. If they aren't that would explain why they thought Alesis copied Pearl.

Orangeblood

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
I agree that at first it was well known....now after Alesis has failed to release sound sets. It has opened the door for speculation...that's all, and that is what i have read on several forums....

I remember even you were questioning at one time.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
I agree that at first it was well known....now after Alesis has failed to release sound sets. It has opened the door for speculation...that's all, and that is what i have read on several forums....

I remember even you were questioning at one time.
I still question it. As a matter of fact I was the first on this website to question it. The thing I always come back to however, is what other new module can I buy in the DM10 price range that can do at least what the DM10 can or more? The answer is none.

Modified? I should say so.
Should I post the numbers of times it's mentioned elsewhere..that's not what is mentioned lately.
 The point being is the module maker has fallen behind the company that they made the module for....3rd party stuff.
It's beating a dead horse, but damn what company in the world lets a competitor beat them using their own damn equipment. Sad.
I agree w/ Rev. He had a very valid point in his argument that was
abruptly cut off.
And to think I went out and bought another DM10....why I ask myself?

Rev did have a valid point, but the topic wasn't locked because of his point of view. It it was locked because he was name calling and getting nasty with cheap shots after he had already made his point. I let it go for a while and when I locked it, I made sure he had the last word.

In my mind there is a right way and a wrong way to complain about something. For instants, your remarks above are acceptable. In REV's case I don't feel it is necessary to call people an "imbecile." He was getting nastier and was looking to fight. I think that is obvious by his statements. I just wanted him to calm down.

I have to ask (only because you stated it and knowing full well that is was meant as a rhetorical question), but why did you buy another DM10 if you are not happy with the DM10? It is just a question out of curiosity, because I personally would not go and buy something if I already knew I wasn't happy with.

Offline Pier

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
Don't want to "sidetrack" this thread too much, but I feel to add what follows.
I'd like to heartly thank Alesis and Dan for what they're doing!. This is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE !
Thanks, Kudos, congrats; I think no other forums around have a maker partecipating in the forum and asking the users: "what do you want next?"
And all for free!
My deepest admiration for this,
bye

Orangeblood

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
$500...how could I not? It's not that I'm not happy with it...I agree 100% for the money it's the best out there. It will make a good student kit. You think I would let students play on my DTX3?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »
$500...how could I not? It's not that I'm not happy with it...I agree 100% for the money it's the best out there. It will make a good student kit. You think I would let students play on my DTX3?

I think Rev will have his kit for sale if you're looking for another one for students.  LOL

And to answer your question...  sure, why not let them play on the DTX3.  It's a drumset.  It's bullet proof, no?  :)   Then again, I guess why put on excessive hours when you can get the same work in on a $500 module.  :)

Don't want to "sidetrack" this thread too much, but I feel to add what follows.
I'd like to heartly thank Alesis and Dan for what they're doing!. This is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE !
Thanks, Kudos, congrats; I think no other forums around have a maker partecipating in the forum and asking the users: "what do you want next?"
And all for free!
My deepest admiration for this,
bye

Agreed.   ;D

Orangeblood

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
Have you ever seen the way new students play?  If you have you would understand why they will never play on any of my high end kits....I don't charge that much.

The reason I use the DM10 or any ekit is noise, and I actually believe that hitting smaller objects(pads) creates better hand eye coordination in the future. Look how many drummers have stick marks all over a 12" tom...it gets pretty funny when you start to notice.

You should look into a DTX3....its worth every penny

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Have you ever seen the way new students play?  If you have you would understand why they will never play on any of my high end kits....I don't charge that much.

Haha - I think you're right about that. When starting out I remember breaking through all kinds of sticks, heads and cymbals, even hardware. Cheap, beginner stuff, but still... I was about 15 and had tons of energy to beat up a kit. Now I play with more finesse. I'm more interested in how I sound than in exorcising personal demons... mostly.  :D
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
I hope it is not to late to add to the list, but I would like to also see the ability to assign the metronome to the headphone output only.  :)

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
As long as we're adding on to this thread, I'd like to suggest:

1. Anti machine-gunning technology (round robin or whatever)
2. More hi hat articulations

Orangeblood

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »
All these suggestions sound like what the Yamaha or Roland kits have already....Hmmm. Basically it sounds like everyone that owns a DM10 wants more just couldn't afford more.

Alesis should look at the big 2 and try to incorporate as much from their kits as they can while still maintaining a decent pricepoint. People would pay a higher price for more. For Alesis to call the DM10 the "flagship" of electronic drums is amusing.  It might be the flagship at the $1400 pricepoint....but it's far from high end.
The more I play the yamaha kit and then the DM10....its like going from a atari to a PS3 move. It lacks serious features that "real" drummers need...sure if you just want to play to drumless tracks it's great...everything else leaves you scratching your head. The missing features come out more and more as I get to know the DTX3 more and more.

..I know, I know the DM10 shouldn't be compared, but it is since I have both.

Alesis needs a higher-end kit....maybe they have one in the works(hopefully they had one a year ago) The wirite up on the new DM7 makes it sound like the be all end all ekit. Chokable cymbal? really no-one else has that?

The honeymoon is officially over w/ the DM10. From the pads that felt like cardboard out of the box...tensioning) really alesis what a joke. Far from "realheads" so misleading to new drummers...real because their mylar? Had to void warranty for mesh(which now the blast heads have holes) to the bare bones module and crappy performing hi-hat.
 The amount of DIY and fiddling around getting the DM10 to perform is old. Never once had a crosstalk issue with the DTX3 straight out of the box...even at the $1400 price that shouldn't be an issue. What good is the pretty chrome rack and so-called "real color" cymbals if you have to stuff and gingerly mount pads to avoid crosstalk?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:09:55 PM by Orangeblood »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
All these suggestions sound like what the Yamaha or Roland kits have already....Hmmm. Basically it sounds like everyone that owns a DM10 wants more just couldn't afford more.

Alesis should look at the big 2 and try to incorporate as much from their kits as they can while still maintaining a decent pricepoint. People would pay a higher price for more. For Alesis to call the DM10 the "flagship" of electronic drums is amusing.  It might be the flagship at the $1400 pricepoint....but it's far from high end.
The more I play the yamaha kit and then the DM10....its like going from a atari to a PS3 move. It lacks serious features that "real" drummers need...sure if you just want to play to drumless tracks it's great...everything else leaves you scratching your head. The missing features come out more and more as I get to know the DTX3 more and more.

..I know, I know the DM10 shouldn't be compared, but it is since I have both.

Alesis needs a higher-end kit....maybe they have one in the works(hopefully they had one a year ago) The wirite up on the new DM7 makes it sound like the be all end all ekit. Chokable cymbal? really no-one else has that?

The honeymoon is officially over w/ the DM10. From the pads that felt like cardboard out of the box...tensioning) really alesis what a joke. Far from "realheads" so misleading to new drummers...real because their mylar? Had to void warranty for mesh(which now the blast heads have holes) to the bare bones module and crappy performing hi-hat.
 The amount of DIY and fiddling around getting the DM10 to perform is old. Never once had a crosstalk issue with the DTX3 straight out of the box...even at the $1400 price that shouldn't be an issue. What good is the pretty chrome rack and so-called "real color" cymbals if you have to stuff and gingerly mount pads to avoid crosstalk?

Just a question 'cause i don't get it: What do you really want from Alesis if you *can* afford the "2 big ones"? Are this big ones not satisfying you? If yes - why?

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »

Are you seriously criticizing people who can't afford more than a DM10?  >:(

For the life of me, I can't understand people's slavish devotion to certain brands. To have a favorite is somewhat natural, but you're completely going overboard. I won't argue that the higher-end Roland and Yamaha products are better -- but don't you want to see Alesis, or any other brand, for that matter, introduce stuff that will compete with the industry leaders? That would force all brands to innovate and would drive down prices across the board.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:19:14 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 02:10:52 AM »

For the life of me, I can't understand people's slavish devotion to certain brands. To have a favorite is somewhat natural, but you're completely going overboard. I won't argue that the higher-end Roland and Yamaha products are better -- but don't you want to see Alesis, or any other brand, for that matter, introduce stuff that will compete with the industry leaders? That would force all brands to innovate and would drive down prices across the board.

In Orange's defense he gave the DM10 a worthy try.  While his comments above are a bit pithy, we all admit the DM10 is not for everyone.  It is NOT a Yamaha or a Roland kit.  It is Alesis' top-of-the-line edrum kit.  I think it's pretty fantastic, but Orange has higher standards.  I get that:  Eye-of-the-beholder thing (aka Subjective).   I LOVE my kit, especially with the mesh heads (Roland... Billy Blast (as Orange points out) don't last too long.  Roland heads on the DM10 kit do.  It's not a "roland" thing, but a "patent" thing.)  I digress. 

Orange has different needs, and the DM10 didn't meet those needs. If you've been around long enough, you'd know Rev had similar issues (he couldn't get past the fact that the Alesis DM10 is not a Roland knock- off... and if you don't mind me saying, he was a dick about it.)

Orange....  in a non-defensive manner, would you mind telling me (us) what you like about the Yamaha so much  (actually... please start a new thread, as we sorta hi-jacked this one.)  I'm curious as to what's so great about it.  And (to be an ass  :D ) don't give me that "you-wouldn't-understand-'cause-you're-not-a-good-drummer" thing.  Sell me.

Orangeblood

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »

Ya, I'm criticizing....good lord dude.

Most of us have families and budgets...hence the comment on affordability. We would all buy the best if we could get away with it and it not hurt our wallets. It's common sense, don't turn my word around into something that it wasn't intended to be.

You obviously read one line of my posts....and the other 18 sentences went in and out. I stated "I want a higher-end" kit from Alesis, and they should incorporate more of what the big 2 have....re-read the post.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:42:35 AM by Orangeblood »

Orangeblood

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »
I have no idea how I'm so subjective? I play BOTH every damn day, even took the DM10 on stage last Sat.....it doesn't get any more unbiased.

This argument on comparisons isn't fair anyway and I will stop doing so. Atari vs. PS3 is fair. Alesis never intended it to be compared either, so I am wrong for doing so....even though it's tough since I have and play both.

and really Guinness...you can take you condescending attitude and LOOK up the differences yourself. I don't need to waste time listing all the weak points...and like I said it isn't needed anyway. There ARE no comparisons.

Why is it the cheap brand OSP has  the same pads and pedals? I thought Alesis made their own stuff. Had a kid come over with a OSP last week and it looked exactly, felt exactly like the DM10....cheap shit. No wonder why the pads and cymbals fall apart.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

and really Guinness...you can take you condescending attitude and LOOK up the differences yourself. I don't need to waste time listing all the weak points...and like I said it isn't needed anyway. There ARE no comparisons.

Orangeblood.  My apologies.  My comments were not intented to sound condensending, except for the tongue and cheek/sarcastic ending comment.  (That's one of the challenges with written messages:  voice inflection is not present.)   I was trying to come to your defense by pointing out that you have different needs. 

I jumped into this conversation because I am simply curious as to what you like about it, and the differences.  I respect your opinion.  I would like the hear the differences.  But like you said, "look up the differences yourself".  (ok.  next time I'm somewhere that has one of the units, I'll sit down and play around with and learn for myself.  I just thought you'd be able to demostrate the differences, as you're in the unique position of owning both.)  But this has turned into a small little flame war, and I think it'd be best to just drop the subject.

Have a good day.   ;D

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
Dan, I just thought of something else I would like to see in the new DM10 OS. If an "Attack" option is added, I would also like to see the "Attack" in the velocity filtering menu. This would be great for cymbals. It would help a lot with cymbal swells. You would be able to make the Attack less at lower velocities and great the harder you hit. Giving a much smoother transition in the swell. Just a thought.

Orangeblood

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »

Orangeblood.  My apologies.  My comments were not intented to sound condensending, except for the tongue and cheek/sarcastic ending comment.  (That's one of the challenges with written messages:  voice inflection is not present.)   I was trying to come to your defense by pointing out that you have different needs. 

I jumped into this conversation because I am simply curious as to what you like about it, and the differences.  I respect your opinion.  I would like the hear the differences.  But like you said, "look up the differences yourself".  (ok.  next time I'm somewhere that has one of the units, I'll sit down and play around with and learn for myself.  I just thought you'd be able to demostrate the differences, as you're in the unique position of owning both.)  But this has turned into a small little flame war, and I think it'd be best to just drop the subject.

Have a good day.   ;D

Your right I took it the wrong way....obviously you meant different, so Im sorry too.

Like I said I it's actually wrong to compare...there not in the same price point, nor are they marketed to the same people...at least I hope that Alesis isn't marketing to the working drummer with the DM10.

From sounds, pads, hi-hat, sampling, layering, stacking, alternate mode, triggering, no-crosstalk(out of the box), free-kits, even little things like controlling snare buzz after you hit a tom or kick....etc, etc. The list is too long...honestly.

My beef is that Saturday I took the DM10 out to play...what an embarrassment. I do not know how the other member plays this kit out. False triggering is a joke. It shouldn't take every ounce of patience and frankly is embarrassing. If it can't handle stage use, then IMO it is a waste of money and time...period.
This kit is made for jamming to itunes and that's it.

But again....I shouldn't, nor is it right to compare. You say you want a list...this thread basically asks for everything that is already on the yammie...honestly it's just scratching the surface.

I now have to buy new heads or put back on the OSP heads....ya it's a fine jamming kit, but damn how much time and money do you have to spend to make it work right? Might as well spend the extra $500 or so and get a kit that doesn't require fine tuning everytime you move it, or DIY work and time.

$1400 for the Pro + $300 for heads + time fiddling= $250(to me) $1950....couple hundred more and you have a kit that wipes your ass for you.(not really for all you literal folks). That's nothing if you think about it, so you have to wait a little longer. Maybe the pro feels better, all I know is the studio kit feels like a hasbro toy in comparison.

I have a DM10 studio for-sale $500+shipping if anyone wants one.