Author Topic: Any good drumming books?  (Read 2922 times)

Any good drumming books?
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »
Hi all,

I have some money on Amazon and figured I'd use it towards buying some books on drumming. In particular, I'm looking for books on drumming technique, skills, etc, so that I can learn more about drumming. Can anybody recommend me some classics?

Thanks,
dd.

Offline Bones

Re: Any good drumming books?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »
Hi all,

I have some money on Amazon and figured I'd use it towards buying some books on drumming. In particular, I'm looking for books on drumming technique, skills, etc, so that I can learn more about drumming. Can anybody recommend me some classics?

Thanks,
dd.

I don't know about Amazon but check out the following:  http://www.drumeo.com/training-packs/
A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless to resist.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »
The Art of Bop Drumming if you're into jazz and swing feel.
Many recommend Benny Greb's The Language of Drumming.
Stick Control for The Snare Drummer for rudiment exercises.
Progressive Steps to Syncopation for The Modern Drummer by Ted Reed has many great exercises.

And The New Breed by Gary Chester - will keep you occupied for quite some time. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:01 AM »
In addition to the books mentioned by Trondster I recommend "Daily Drumset Workout" by Claus Hessler for practicing technique and independence in many styles. (I started using this with my students recently instead of The New Breed)
"Future Sounds" by David Garibaldi is a great book if you're into linear funk grooves. (try to look for the version without cd)
"Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer" by Jojo Mayer. I know you asked for books but this really is a great dvd about technique.

Offline Sal

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
The Art of Bop Drumming if you're into jazz and swing feel.
Many recommend Benny Greb's The Language of Drumming.
Stick Control for The Snare Drummer for rudiment exercises.
Progressive Steps to Syncopation for The Modern Drummer by Ted Reed has many great exercises.

And The New Breed by Gary Chester - will keep you occupied for quite some time. :)

Amazing list!

And New Breed. Effin' New Breed.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Sal

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
Also, as a fan of funkier drumming, I love Stanton Moore's books and DVDs: http://www.stantonmoore.com/formusicians/
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.