Author Topic: Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0  (Read 56582 times)

Alesis

Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
We have started spec'ing out a fairly major update to the DM10 operating system. You have all had some great ideas for ways to improve the DM10. The problem is that they are scattered all over the forum.

As I always say, we want to include your input in our updates, so here is your chance.

Get all of your requests together in this thread by next Monday, October 25. At that time, if a volunteer would compile a brief for us describing the behaviors you would like added or changed in the DM10, our team will examine the feasibility of implementing each one. Please refrain from requesting specific solutions – don't tell us how you would solve the problem. Just tell us the behavior you want.

I cannot promise we will use all of your suggestions; I can't even promise we will use any of your recommendations, but we will investigate each one.

Thank you for your passion and thank you in advance for helping us make a better DM10.

Dan I hope you don't mind but I decided to put the master list in your post.

1. I would like dual zone functionality on cymbals. Currently my DM10 does not work at all for dual zone cymbals. When I assign two sounds, one to bow and one to edge on a dual zone capable cymbal I only ever get the edge zone triggering. Not normal behaviour for a supposedly dual zone capable module.

2. I would like choke that uses aftertouch like most other Edrum kits on the market. This way the behaviour of the cymbals will adhere to the method most commonly used for choke in VST drum software as well as most other modules on the market.

3. I would like the midi key notes on all inputs/kit pieces to be reassignable. Some software VST drum softwares have locked midi notes for certain pieces and it would make matters much more flexible for Alesis users to be able to accomodate such software by being able to change the midi notes for the hihat, crash1, and ride cymbals.

4. The ability to save out kits one at a time and load them in one at a time.

5. Dual zone hi-hat on input #12 PERC 4. Odd request I know but, a couple of us here found that the DM10 already has the variable hi-hat sounds for both zones. We also documented the midi note values for both. And we also discovered the the hi-hat control pedal controls them both. The reason for input #12 PERC 4 is because I know that the hi-hat input is only single zone and input #12 PERC 4 happens to be right above the original hi-hat input and a dual zone.

6. Add the possiblity to let the hihat closed or to a preset defined positions depending on the kit settings when triggering the Kick 2 and release it when we move the pedal hihat.

7. The ability to set any switch trigger as a choke function.

8. The ability of the DM10 to "see" the mixer settings at start-up. That way the user doesn't have to reset the mixer every time at start-up. And/or maybe the mixer state being saved for each kit. (I know the phyical mixer will not update because it is not motorized, but I believe saving the mixer state for each kit would be good for gigging drummers.)

9. A "Tone" control under the edit instrument setting under the LVL menu. I know the DM10 has an EQ, but that is a global setting (on or off for each instrument). Having a little bit of tone control over each instrument would be great for modeling the individual sounds.
Redundant function

10. Don't know if it's just me, but I'll add this anyway: I cannot get the hi-hat sound "too tight" even if my pedal is fully pressed down and pedal calibration went perfectly well.

11. Module startup on the kit last played, instead of 000.

12. Instrument pan control.

13. A way to import/export drum and/or accomp sequences (possibly as .mid files in an outside sequencer)

14. MIDI assignable control via the buttons and sliders on the DM10! (Basically the ability to use the DM10 as a DAW control surface.)

15. Adding own sampling sound (like roland SPD-S sampling pad)

16. A quick ability to turn decay/choke off on cymbals temporarily. In high volume situations, I have had my cymbals choke from the bass or monitor vibration.. Check out the sample mp3 to hear what I mean.. I have tweaked the triggers like crazy, but each venue is different (monitors, etc..) and something like a sustain pedal would be useful on stage to temporarily make sure the crashes ring out when they need to.

17. Better cymbal swells...They need to do two things, but both need to happen in order for it to work well:

a) Unlock the "INST Layer Attack" (NRPN#64) so it is adjustable in the DM10's menu. It is already there, it is just a matter of turning
     it on in the menu system. (I noticed it is already an option in the Pearl RED box.)

b) Add a "INST Layer Velocity To Attack" Be sure to assign a NRPN# to it. Unfortunetly, this doesn't exist (as far as I know) in the
     DM10, so it would need to be added.

Just turning on the "INST Layer Attack" would be a good thing, but by itself would not help when it comes to cymbal swells. I really
     hope that Alesis tries to incorporate these two things into the new OS. It would really put the DM10 on a whole new level.

18. When selecting kits put in a option to move up and down 10 kits at a time.

19. The ability to shut off heel-splash, I don't normally use a heel splash, and it can interfere when I'm trying to keep time with the hats, I know you can change it to not send over MIDI, but the ability to do this with the modules sounds would be nice.

20. Store-All or Auto-Store setting for User kits. I find myself forgetting to store settings or instruments after I fiddle with them for a while and then end up upset that I forgot to save the settings once I reset the module.

21. I noticed there is no "Threshold" setting for the rim zones (secondary zones). I don't know if this has anything to do with the built in cross talk on adjacent zones, but I would like to see a "Threshold" setting on those zones as well.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:21:07 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Rev2010

Re: Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
Well now we're talking! OK, here are my suggestions on behaviour:

1. I would like dual zone functionality on cymbals. Currently my DM10 does not work at all for dual zone cymbals. When I assign two sounds, one to bow and one to edge on a dual zone capable cymbal I only ever get the edge zone triggering. Not normal behaviour for a supposedly dual zone capable module.

2. I would like choke that uses aftertouch like most other Edrum kits on the market. This way the behaviour of the cymbals will adhere to the method most commonly used for choke in VST drum software as well as most other modules on the market.

3. I would like the midi key notes on all inputs/kit pieces to be reassignable. Some software VST drum softwares have locked midi notes for certain pieces and it would make matters much more flexible for Alesis users to be able to accomodate such software by being able to change the midi notes for the hihat, crash1, and ride cymbals.

Those are my real serious requests. Soundsets are a nice option but these are more critical IMO.

Rev.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »
Well now we're talking! OK, here are my suggestions on behaviour:

Those are my real serious requests. Soundsets are a nice option but these are more critical IMO.

Rev.

All good suggestions. I would also like you add (if you can):

4) The ability to save out kits one at a time and load them in one at a time.

5) Dual zone hi-hat on input #12 PERC 4. Odd request I know but, a couple of us here found that the DM10 already has the variable hi-hat sounds for both zones. We also documented the midi note values for both. And we also discovered the the hi-hat control pedal controls them both. The reason for input #12 PERC 4 is because I know that the hi-hat input is only single zone and input #12 PERC 4 happens to be right above the original hi-hat input and a dual zone.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but that should do for now.

BTW, I will temporally make this a sticky topic so people don't miss it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:08:15 AM by Hellfire »

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »
+1 on all these suggestions and also

6) Add the possiblity to let the hihat closed or to a preset defined positions depending on the kit settings when triggering the Kick 2 and release it when we move the pedal hihat.

Thx

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »
7 ) The ability to set any switch trigger as a choke function.

8 ) The ability of the DM10 to "see" the mixer settings at start-up. That way the user doesn't have to reset the mixer every time at start-up.

9 ) A "Tone" control under the edit instrument setting under the LVL menu. I know the DM10 has an EQ, but that is a global setting (on or off for each instrument). Having a little bit of tone control over each instrument would be great for modeling the individual sounds.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:03:49 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Pier

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »
Thanks a lot Dan!

I'll gladly add:
- I'd like that DM10 "remembers" the last kit used and, on turning on the unit again, you'll find THAT kit ready to use
- Don't know if it's just me, but I'll add this anyway: I cannot get hi-hat sound "too tight" even if my pedal is fully pressed down and pedal calibration went perfectly well

Thanks!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity Dan.

10) Module startup on the kit last played, instead of 000.

11) instrument pan control.

(I went through and looked at most of the DM20 thread (http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=153.15)...  lot's of good stuff in there)

MicroStudio

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
Another vote for #2

Unlock the Hi Hat, Ride and Crash triggers or just to make it easier... All triggers so we can change the midi notes for the USER Kits.

And thanks Dan.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for the opportunity!! These are a few which are likely addressable in firmware.

(I was asleep at the helm.. I think I fixed the numbering scheme to fit the grand scheme)

already #10) Last kit used at startup, not 000

already #4) The ability to load/save individual kits - so we can swap them among the community.

12) A way to import/export drum and/or accomp sequences (possibly as .mid files in an outside sequencer)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:32:56 PM by DeeDubs »
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline vaikl

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
Great thread, Dan, Thanx!!

If we get all above in a 2.0 it would be christmas.

Something nice-to-have in my mind that would be christmas, my birthday and the 1st prize in a lottery on one single day:

- MIDI assignable control via the buttons and sliders on the DM10!

That would be a great help in remote working with drum/DAW software on a PC. Not everyone from us is sitting right beside a PC to start/stop tracks, switching kits, tweaking some parameters etc. in an efficient way. There are some handy MIDI controllers out there, i know, but having it all-in-one with the DM10 module would be heaven.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
13. )  adding own sampling sound ( like roland SPD-S sampling pad),

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 12:11:33 AM »
I don't see it already listed so:

14. "sticky" mixer sliders. Meaning have the module remember the slider settings when turned back on.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 03:43:38 AM »
This

5) Dual zone hi-hat on input #12 PERC 4. Odd request I know but, a couple of us here found that the DM10 already has the variable hi-hat sounds for both zones. We also documented the midi note values for both. And we also discovered the the hi-hat control pedal controls them both. The reason for input #12 PERC 4 is because I know that the hi-hat input is only single zone and input #12 PERC 4 happens to be right above the original hi-hat input and a dual zone.

and this

Aftertouch would also be a nice addition. And I know this one is a longshot but full compatibility with the CY-14C, PCY 135, and PCY 155.

Thanks

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
Thanks a lot Dan!

I'll gladly add:
- I'd like that DM10 "remembers" the last kit used and, on turning on the unit again, you'll find THAT kit ready to use
- Don't know if it's just me, but I'll add this anyway: I cannot get hi-hat sound "too tight" even if my pedal is fully pressed down and pedal calibration went perfectly well

Thanks!

I'd like to echo Pier's comments, and also #'s 3,4, & 8 as mentioned above.

E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Online Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 01:03:06 PM »
I went ahead and compiled the requests into one list in Dan original post (I hope you don't mind Dan). If more requests are posted I will update the master list in Dan's post until the start of the day tomorrow (Monday Oct. 25th, Dan's cut off).

A couple more things I would like to point out:

Douplicate request for features were left out of the list.

@Guinness - I believe the Pan control under the LVL menu is the Pan control for instruments. I do know that most panning issues that happen with the DM10 have to do with the usage of "stereo" effects that are applied on each kit. I did include your suggestion anyway as I want the list to be as asked (and just in case I'm wrong about the Panning function  ;D).

@Pier - I believe having an extra tight hi-hat is most likely a function of having the extra tight hi-hat sample in the DM10. If you can't get the super tight hi-hat sound, that is most likely not a function of the O.S. but a function of the sample sound set.  Again, I did include your suggestion as well because I wanted the list to be as asked. (and of course in case I'm wrong about the extra tight hi-hat sound  ;D)

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
16) A quick ability to turn decay/choke off on cymbals temporarily. In high volume situations, I have had my cymbals choke from the bass or monitor vibration.. Check out the sample mp3 to hear what I mean.. I have tweaked the triggers like crazy, but each venue is different (monitors, etc..) and something like a sustain pedal would be useful on stage to temporarily make sure the crashes ring out when they need to.
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »
Thought of another one:

17. Having an "Attack" setting along with the Level, Pan, and Decay. I couldn't help but notice that on the Pearl R.E.D. Box I tried out. ;)

MicroStudio

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
Here is another request.

When selecting kits put in a option to move up and down 10 kits at a time

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »
Wow thanks Dan! It's not very often to see a company like Alesis so involved with user communities' suggestions!

Anyway though, I pretty much agree with every suggestion on the master list, and would like to add:

The ability to shut off heel-splash, I don't normally use a heel splash, and it can interfere when I'm trying to keep time with the hats, I know you can change it to not send over MIDI, but the ability to do this with the modules sounds would be nice.

Also, maybe a Store-All or Auto-Store setting for User kits. I find myself forgetting to store settings or instruments after I fiddle with them for a while and then end up upset that I forgot to save the settings once I reset the module.

Thanks again Dan!

Offline Pier

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 03:03:48 AM »
@Pier - I believe having an extra tight hi-hat is most likely a function of having the extra tight hi-hat sample in the DM10. If you can't get the super tight hi-hat sound, that is most likely not a function of the O.S. but a function of the sample sound set.  Again, I did include your suggestion as well because I wanted the list to be as asked. (and of course in case I'm wrong about the extra tight hi-hat sound  ;D)

Thanks Phil; yes, mee too think that it's a sound bank feature -- anyway I just reported the thing and hoped that it was:
a-) one of the hihat mode tweakable feature (so the OS upgrade can be a good way to have it)
b-) a new sound that, maybe, Alesis could add to an uploadable "basic" sound bank (since the group of basic sounds is already present on the Alesis website, if memory serves -- the DM10 Sound ROM, I mean)

Orangeblood

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
Is everyone prepared to pay more for the DM10 if these things are included?
I would like to see Alesis come up with a DTX3, TD-12 comparable kit at the $5k price range.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »
Is everyone prepared to pay more for the DM10 if these things are included?
I would like to see Alesis come up with a DTX3, TD-12 comparable kit at the $5k price range.
Well, keep in mind Dan stated in his first message:

...our team will examine the feasibility of implementing each one...

I cannot promise we will use all of your suggestions; I can't even promise we will use any of your recommendations, but we will investigate each one.

I don't except all of these "wishes" to be included (and no one else should either). Heck, some I question the feasibility of even implementing. I do believe that a few of them to be very reasonable. I guess time will tell.

Admittedly, the idea of a DTX3, TD-12 comparable kit ($5k price range) is intriguing, I don't see Alesis doing it however. Most people buy Alesis edrums because they don't have $5k to spend. Heck, I'm one of them. But, you never know. Maybe Alesis is working on one right now.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
Here is the list as it stands right now. Again, if you are reading this Dan you have the same list in your original message you posted.

4. The ability to save out kits one at a time and load them in one at a time.

5. Dual zone hi-hat on input #12 PERC 4. Odd request I know but, a couple of us here found that the DM10 already has the variable hi-hat sounds for both zones. We also documented the midi note values for both. And we also discovered the the hi-hat control pedal controls them both. The reason for input #12 PERC 4 is because I know that the hi-hat input is only single zone and input #12 PERC 4 happens to be right above the original hi-hat input and a dual zone.

6. Add the possiblity to let the hihat closed or to a preset defined positions depending on the kit settings when triggering the Kick 2 and release it when we move the pedal hihat.

7. The ability to set any switch trigger as a choke function.

8. The ability of the DM10 to "see" the mixer settings at start-up. That way the user doesn't have to reset the mixer every time at start-up. And/or maybe the mixer state being saved for each kit. (I know the phyical mixer will not update because it is not motorized, but I believe saving the mixer state for each kit would be good for gigging drummers.)

9. A "Tone" control under the edit instrument setting under the LVL menu. I know the DM10 has an EQ, but that is a global setting (on or off for each instrument). Having a little bit of tone control over each instrument would be great for modeling the individual sounds. Redundant function

10. Don't know if it's just me, but I'll add this anyway: I cannot get the hi-hat sound "too tight" even if my pedal is fully pressed down and pedal calibration went perfectly well.

11. Module startup on the kit last played, instead of 000.

12. Instrument pan control.

13. A way to import/export drum and/or accomp sequences (possibly as .mid files in an outside sequencer)

14. MIDI assignable control via the buttons and sliders on the DM10! (Basically the ability to use the DM10 as a DAW control surface.)

15. Adding own sampling sound (like roland SPD-S sampling pad)

16. A quick ability to turn decay/choke off on cymbals temporarily. In high volume situations, I have had my cymbals choke from the bass or monitor vibration.. Check out the sample mp3 to hear what I mean.. I have tweaked the triggers like crazy, but each venue is different (monitors, etc..) and something like a sustain pedal would be useful on stage to temporarily make sure the crashes ring out when they need to.

17. Having an "Attack" setting along with the Level, Pan, and Decay. I couldn't help but notice that on the Pearl R.E.D. Box I tried out. ;)

18. When selecting kits put in a option to move up and down 10 kits at a time.

19. The ability to shut off heel-splash, I don't normally use a heel splash, and it can interfere when I'm trying to keep time with the hats, I know you can change it to not send over MIDI, but the ability to do this with the modules sounds would be nice.

20. Store-All or Auto-Store setting for User kits. I find myself forgetting to store settings or instruments after I fiddle with them for a while and then end up upset that I forgot to save the settings once I reset the module.

21. I noticed there is no "Threshold" setting for the rim zones (secondary zones). I don't know if this has anything to do with the built in cross talk on adjacent zones, but I would like to see a "Threshold" setting on those zones as well.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:06:23 PM by Hellfire »

Orangeblood

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
Well maybe a TD-9, DTX550 price range. I have owned Alesis stuff forever and would like to see them with the big boys...they definitely need NEW pads of some sort.
I mean you talk to people and they think that Alesis copied Pearl's module...I just might apply for a position there..LOL

Online Hellfire

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 02:04:52 PM »
I mean you talk to people and they think that Alesis copied Pearl's module...
Interesting. I believe your are on the Pearl forum Orangeblood. If you read over there, a lot of those members bemoaned the fact the Pearl RED Box was base on an Alesis DM10. I also, saw a lot of people over at Vdrums making comments about that as well. I believe Pearl even came out and stated they worked with Alesis on the Pearl RED box. I think it is a widely know fact to many involved in the edrum community that the Pearl RED Box is a modified Alesis DM10. Maybe those people you talked to are not involved with the edrum community that much? Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:15:28 PM by Hellfire »