Author Topic: So one of my boom arms broke...  (Read 5329 times)

So one of my boom arms broke...
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
The part that holds the arm that holds the cymbal. It had a short boom arm that I had extended all the way to the edge and after 7 months it broke yesterday. I tried to put it back together with cold weld and left it to cure for almost 24 hours. Then I shortened the arm (to reduce leverage) and it broke again after 2 hours of light playing.

None of the other parts  I own have the same diameter as the Alesis (~1"), which means they won't fit in the top of the rack pole. Does anyone know of any boom arms that will fit in the designated holes of the Alesis DM10X rack?

DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Re: So one of my boom arms broke...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
There are a lot.  It just depend on what you want to spend.  The sound percussion SPC16 will fit.  Before you say uhh sound purcussion these are really beefy stands.  They are the same as the gibraltar boom arm with brake tilter.  If you just want to go with something a little less that will fit there is the gibraltar boom with standard ratchet arm for about 24 bucks.  Anything from 3/4 to 7/8 downtubes will fit.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »
ended up buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F71Q4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

says it's 7/8" in diameter so hopefully it fits.

lesson learned: don't angle your boom arms like this
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;

Offline pbear5

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
Yeah, that is pretty far out there. If your new boom has a longer arm you might want to add a counter weight to the end. This one I found with a quick search but you might find that Gibraltar has them too:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0010HCI66/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363694687&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
that's a good idea, i got 2 of the 3lbs so i can use one of them on my other alesis cymbal stand

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
So it turns out the other tube arms I owned are all 7/8" in diameter, which means the one I bought and just received today doesn't fit. The device that tightens the tube to the rack pole is pretty much proprietary, there is no real range of diameters that fit other than 1", which is unlike every other fastener that exists. Normally I would buy this and stick it on top: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F74C0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
except the top is not a circle and instead a semi-circle with a square end.

I dont know what to do at this point.

Offline pbear5

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »
I noticed that the Alesis cymbal down tube necks down at the top--didn't take a close look--can do if you need me to--but I was wondering if you could just replace the part that broke with a different brand?  I am also not sure how the two parts are joined--if it's a pin you could drill out the pin and replace it--should be available at a decent hardware store. 

I also don't see why the Gibraltar tube head thing wouldn't work--it should hold your 7/8" hardware-although I don't know how tough it will be to remove the existing tube fitting.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Im not at home right so I cant take a picture of it, but the dm10x rack has three posts that have an opening at the top for the alesis downtube to fit. The fastener for these posts will only close around a 1" diameter downtube, anything less means the default wing screw isn't long enough to compress the plastic ring, it won't secure a 7/8" downtube at all. Replacing the wing screw with a longer one causes the plastic ring to compress into an oval, which means it won't hold evenly (even at full tightness you can pull out a 7/8" downtube).

It's a really stupid design on Alesis's part to make fasteners that only work with 1" downtubes considering they don't even sell their downtubes seperately.

Offline pbear5

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
no, I understand the issue that you are having--maybe this would work as a sleeve shim: http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Lapco-Universal-Plastic-Sleeve-Shroud-Adaptor-Kit-1-in-to-7-8-in-1-125-in-to-1-in-1-125-in-to-7-8-in  I can't tell from the picture if it would be a straight walled tube with a nice collar at the top but, for $4.50 it's probably worth a shot.  You could also just get shim stock and make your own sleave adapters.

but what I was saying is that the part that broke, the tilter knuckle or whatever you call it, could that be removed from the pipe and replaced?  Is that diameter standard or not?--because it necks down from the 1" diameter.

I am assuming that you just don't want to replace this with an Alesis standard part--I am kind of the same way--why replace something that broke with anther of the same? 

Offline pbear5

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
this is what i was referring to.  it looks like what i was assuming--a small slotted spring pin: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-spring-pins/=lzainv which you might be able to drill out.  then you would just remove the broken part and, assuming this is the same size as other similar parts, replace.  Sorry, the picture appears to be upside down.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
this is what i was referring to.  it looks like what i was assuming--a small slotted spring pin: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-spring-pins/=lzainv which you might be able to drill out.  then you would just remove the broken part and, assuming this is the same size as other similar parts, replace.  Sorry, the picture appears to be upside down.

So I removed the pin, and then had to use a hammer and chisel to take the head off. The diameter of the neck of the downtube is 5/8", the necks of all the other downtubes I have (for the 7/8" diameter tubes) are 3/4". I don't think there's a way to find out if a downtube head will fit without buying it first.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
This really sounds like a pain in the a**. Can you just cap the top of the rack tubes and buy another Gibraltar clamp to mount on the horizontal rack bar and mount a cymbal boom through that? Seems frustrating to deal with these odd diameter pipes if they aren't readily available.

Offline pbear5

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
This does suck--too large on one end and too small on the other?  What do they think they are gaining by being proprietary here?  Well, because this is the end that you wouldn't ever remove (unless broken) were the other end (the rack down-tube) might be adjusted or even removed if you are a gigging guy, this would be a better end to shim.  You could get some 1/16" (or slightly less) brass or plastic shim stock, wrap it around once time, put a new knuckle on and pin.  on the other hand a factory replacement may just be the way to go--or Greg's idea of not using the down-tubes is good too.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »
Arent the vertical tubes on the alesis kits like 36" tall and with the adition of the t leg at the bottom.  It brings it to like 38" vertical and Im also pretty sure the rack tube is the standard 1.5 diameter right.

With this being the case why dont you jut get your self some tube cutters.  Cut the whole assembly off and get gibraltars cymbal rack attachment.  It fits over the standard 1.5 in rack tube and it fits most down tube sizes.  I know it would be more expensive to do it this way, but less of a hassle trying to find out what fits and what doesnt. 

The gibraltar cymbal rack attachments only cost 20 bucks each.  You could by gibraltars rack tube cutter for 50 bucks or just take it down to a local metal shop and have them cut it.  Im sure they would only charge like 5 or 10 dollars.  This will save you time and sanity.  Just an idea

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
Ok,so after a lil research and some measuring,ive determined that the factory Alesis cymbal tubes that come with the dm10 are 7/8. I have a straight Gibraltar stand,took the upper part of it off,and it fit PERFECTLY in the mounting hole for the Alesis stage rack. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Offline pbear5

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Excellent. Now beat the fu@k out of it!!  ;D

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »
So I was actually able to remove the downtube fastener (with a hammer and punch) from the rack tube and got the cymbal boom rack bar attachment for $9 (on clearance at guitar center), and now everything is back to normal

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »
Broke another one of the Alesis boom arms today (which had a 3lb counterweight on it). The gibraltar one is still doing fine.

I should have just bought 2 when I did, now I have to go back to the store, hopefully they still have the rack attachments on clearance.

Greg

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »
When it comes to hardware, Gibraltar is the way to go. They have such a huge selection, good prices (e-bay) and it's quality stuff.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
This time I actually noticed the cymbal getting really wobbly and managed to grab it without having it come crashing down in a frightening fashion like the last one.

Greg

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 01:33:51 AM »
Just go with Gibraltar or any major acoustic drum company. You know they use quality metal in their hardware. If you watch your drumming technique and have quality hardware, the stuff should last for years.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
managed to snag another rack attachment for 9 bucks, what a steal

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
Just go with Gibraltar or any major acoustic drum company. You know they use quality metal in their hardware. If you watch your drumming technique and have quality hardware, the stuff should last for years.

+1

Still using the same Gibraltar rack since 1996. Never had any issues with it or any of the parts.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »
hey soccerdude, do you know what the part number of your pipe leg clamp is, or where to find them. All I can find is the Pearl equivalent, and I'm trying to compare the two.
Currently the future is running a bit late..  Old kit: DM5 Pro cone-mesh conversion. DM10 & Yamaha DTX Module. Yamaha RHH-135 Roland PD-125...... New kit: DM10 Studio  Mesh. Strike Module and Hi-Hat. Hart Dynamics Accusnare...