Author Topic: Mesh conversion - help a noob  (Read 2068 times)

Mesh conversion - help a noob
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:26:56 AM »
I just purchased a used Alesis DM8 pro set. I'm trying to decide which approach to the mesh head conversion I should take.

It has 2 of the shallow 12" pads. Plus 2 8" and 1 10".

The drum-tec solution looks simplest. Add a layer of foam right under the mesh head and you're done. But I've got some questions.

Does this produce good results? Frankly it just seems too easy and l worry that the foam will compress and I'll be striking the sensor plate anyway.

If I want to try it, Drum Tec seems to be out of stock of the sizes I need and they only sell sets. I'd rather try one pad to see if I like it. So that means I need to buy my own foam. What kind of foam do I need and how thick should it be?

Lastly, I'm in the U.S. Any recommendations for sources of foam or 2-ply mesh heads? All the European stuff looks great, but shipping is expensive and will take a long time.

Offline Chaser

Re: Mesh conversion - help a noob
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
I just purchased a used Alesis DM8 pro set. I'm trying to decide which approach to the mesh head conversion I should take.

It has 2 of the shallow 12" pads. Plus 2 8" and 1 10".

The drum-tec solution looks simplest. Add a layer of foam right under the mesh head and you're done. But I've got some questions.

Does this produce good results? Frankly it just seems too easy and l worry that the foam will compress and I'll be striking the sensor plate anyway.

If I want to try it, Drum Tec seems to be out of stock of the sizes I need and they only sell sets. I'd rather try one pad to see if I like it. So that means I need to buy my own foam. What kind of foam do I need and how thick should it be?

Lastly, I'm in the U.S. Any recommendations for sources of foam or 2-ply mesh heads? All the European stuff looks great, but shipping is expensive and will take a long time.

The drums themselves are Medeli,so the conversion is not specific to particular Drum kit (dm7,DM8,DM10 etc)
There are a few Mesh Conversion Methods using either foam or cone.Do a little reading , decide which works best for you.
There are conversion kits being sold or you could DIY based upon soldering or no soldering method,requires a re-arrangement of the foam layers and using Hobby Foam.
The HellFire conversion was one of the most popular.For the shallow 12" check Gerdy 12" Mesh Conversion.
Since the Roland Patent for 2-Ply expired there are many options in the US now and readily available on ebay or their respective sites.
One of the more recent is Prism which are available in Black or White..2 Ply 3 Ply etc. and drum wraps.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »
Yep. I'm working my way through the post from Gerdy. I know I want to try that method for the shallow 12" pads. It's just not clear what I should be looking for in terms of foam and where to source it in the US. There are a few product links in the thread. Some work, some don't and it hasn't been updated in more than a year. So I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for suggesting the Prism mesh heads. Those look like a pretty good option. Amazon doesn't have any 2-ply heads, nor do any of the major online retailers (Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, etc.) I'd love to know of other multi-ply heads that are available here in the US.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
Yep. I'm working my way through the post from Gerdy. I know I want to try that method for the shallow 12" pads. It's just not clear what I should be looking for in terms of foam and where to source it in the US. There are a few product links in the thread. Some work, some don't and it hasn't been updated in more than a year. So I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for suggesting the Prism mesh heads. Those look like a pretty good option. Amazon doesn't have any 2-ply heads, nor do any of the major online retailers (Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, etc.) I'd love to know of other multi-ply heads that are available here in the US.

Under Gerdy there is a list of materials it shows 5mm...the type of foam is mentioned in numerous posts...EVA foam.
I provided a link to EVA foam in above post..if you don't want to purchase from Amazon then check local Hobby/Crafts stores..Hobby Shack , Michael's etc.Whatever is in your area. 
Google or search Ebay for 2-ply mesh Drum heads

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »
Thanks for suggesting Ebay. I tend to be skeptical of anything I find there if I'm not already familiar with it. But I found some Hart 2 ply heads for everything but the 8".

I think I'm going to try the Frost King foam mentioned a few times in Gerdy's thread. It's cheap and easy to get. So seems like a good place to start.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »
Thanks for suggesting Ebay. I tend to be skeptical of anything I find there if I'm not already familiar with it. But I found some Hart 2 ply heads for everything but the 8".

I think I'm going to try the Frost King foam mentioned a few times in Gerdy's thread. It's cheap and easy to get. So seems like a good place to start.

Keep in mind Hart Dynamics (Peter Hart) sold out years ago.The new owners then produced their own products , hyped the company and then tried to sell it which they were unsuccessful.There were a lot of complaints/rumours going around about the product quality not being the same as when Peter Hart owned it.I believe Electronic Drum center purchased a lot of the remaining inventory a year or two ago.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »
The Frost King AC filter foam at my local hardware store was 3/16" as opposed to the 1/4" others have found. That 1/16" doesn't seem to have mattered though.

I basically did the Drum-Tec version of the conversion which means I just pulled the mylar heads, put a single layer of the foam down and put the mesh head on. I'm using 2 ply Hart heads I found on ebay.

I'm really pleased with the results. I immediately got improved pad feel and retriggering. I had to tweak the sensitivity a bit (up to 35 from 21) but that's it. I didn't de-solder the resistors or anything like that.

I converted the 12" snare, and 10" & 12" toms for $53 (I'm not using the 8" tom). I still need to convert the kick pad, but I couldn't find a 8" mesh head I liked for the right price.

Thank you to everyone who's posted their results. It was super helpful to see what others had tried.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 12:51:54 AM »
I may be an odd-duck on this, but I really like the stock DM10 Mesh heads, so I get mine from Alesis Customer Support (inmusicbrands.support@servicelit.com)

I still need to convert the kick pad, but I couldn't find a 8" mesh head I liked for the right price.
From Alesis Customer Service, I think my 8" bass head was around $20 USD
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:58:18 AM by Dartanbeck »
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 12:59:05 AM »
Also, congrats! Glad you've got it working!
So, how do you like your new kit?

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »
I'm super pleased with how the conversion came out. It was  inexpensive and easy to do. I'm a pretty new drummer so I don't have a lot of established preferences or expectations. I'm curious what a more experienced drummer would think but I'm happy.

I chose the DM8 because it had larger pads. Having converted them to mesh heads, this now feels like a much more expensive kit.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
I think I'd really like the 8" pads! Wanna get some. My DM10 only has the one 8" on the bass.

After seeing this, I went and watched Hellfire's awesome video! So Cool = he!!! :)

I've been really enjoying reading his articles here - there are a lot of them, and they're not 'dated' either, especially for you (DM8) and me (DM10). Now I feel a lot more confident to but used extra pads, even if they come with the Mylar heads! :)

I am a seasoned drummer who has been playing gigs 2-3 times a month, four hours per show, for 39 years now, and I just made the switch to 'total electronic' two years ago April. I love my Alesis!!! It took some dialing in to get the live sound I wanted which was completely painless for me. In fact, I loved it!