Author Topic: A daisy chaining question  (Read 1614 times)

A daisy chaining question
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:43:19 AM »
I have been searching this forum and others and I think I have a basic understanding of what I want to do but I'd like to get more clarification if possible.
I have a hybrid DM10 set up and a Yamaha DTX Multi 12 both of which have RhysT's custom sound sets installed.
I also occasionally run the DM 10 through Superior drummer via ToonTrack Solo.
I would also like to occasionally run the DTX Multi 12 through Superior to gain additional pads/triggers in tandem with the DM10.
If I understand midi correctly, I can use a cable via the "midi out" jack on the multi 12 into the "midi in" jack of the DM 10, (set to "midi Through"), and the DM 10 should then pass midi data from both units into superior drummer via its' usb out to the computer.
I know I will have to remap some numbers since I had to do this with the custom sound sets on the dm 10 already. I just used the "learn" function in Superior and the software did the remapping for me.
I assume I will have to do this as well with the multi 12.
What I'm not sure of is midi channel designations of either unit.
Should they both be set on the same channel or should I use different channels for each unit?
I also have a few M-Track usb/midi interfaces that I could use but since I'm not experiencing any latency issues now, I would prefer to continue to use the DM 10s' usb out to the computer.
Have I got the above sequencing correct or am I missing something?

Thanks for any guidance.

powerhouse

Online Hellfire

Re: A daisy chaining question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:17:42 AM »
I have been searching this forum and others and I think I have a basic understanding of what I want to do but I'd like to get more clarification if possible.
I have a hybrid DM10 set up and a Yamaha DTX Multi 12 both of which have RhysT's custom sound sets installed.
I also occasionally run the DM 10 through Superior drummer via ToonTrack Solo.
I would also like to occasionally run the DTX Multi 12 through Superior to gain additional pads/triggers in tandem with the DM10.
If I understand midi correctly, I can use a cable via the "midi out" jack on the multi 12 into the "midi in" jack of the DM 10, (set to "midi Through"), and the DM 10 should then pass midi data from both units into superior drummer via its' usb out to the computer.
I know I will have to remap some numbers since I had to do this with the custom sound sets on the dm 10 already. I just used the "learn" function in Superior and the software did the remapping for me.
I assume I will have to do this as well with the multi 12.
What I'm not sure of is midi channel designations of either unit.
Should they both be set on the same channel or should I use different channels for each unit?
I also have a few M-Track usb/midi interfaces that I could use but since I'm not experiencing any latency issues now, I would prefer to continue to use the DM 10s' usb out to the computer.
Have I got the above sequencing correct or am I missing something?

Thanks for any guidance.

powerhouse

If you put the midi signal of the DTX Multi 12 into the DM10, you will need to make sure you either:

1) a different midi channel for the DTX 12 that is not the same as the DM10
2) or make sure the midi notes numbers on the 12 are different from any of the note numbers on the DM10.

I would think the best way to do this is to have them both set to the same channel and just make sure your note numbers do not overlap between the two devices.

Once you have that sorted out, then you can use the "learn" function in your software.

I hope that helps.

Re: A daisy chaining question
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:47:19 PM »
Thanks Hellfire,

That's what I assumed but I wanted a 2nd opinion on the matter.

powerhouse