Author Topic: EZ Drummer 2  (Read 2624 times)

Offline VandalX

EZ Drummer 2
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
Quick question before I purchase EZ Drummer: can I layer sounds for each trigger pad? For example, a snare with a tambourine at certain velocities? I have the demo up and running and I'm exploring the features, but this is my first go-round with a VST and I'm getting slightly overwhelmed. Love it, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on any features that might be available on other VSTs or perhaps I'm just not seeing it in the demo version. They indicate it's a full working version, but only the Modern pack is included. So far, I like what I hear and how it interacts with my DM10 MKII Pro.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Chaser

Re: EZ Drummer 2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:43:17 PM »
Quick question before I purchase EZ Drummer: can I layer sounds for each trigger pad? For example, a snare with a tambourine at certain velocities? I have the demo up and running and I'm exploring the features, but this is my first go-round with a VST and I'm getting slightly overwhelmed. Love it, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on any features that might be available on other VSTs or perhaps I'm just not seeing it in the demo version. They indicate it's a full working version, but only the Modern pack is included. So far, I like what I hear and how it interacts with my DM10 MKII Pro.

EZ Drummer..No
https://www.toontrack.com/forum/ezdrummer-pre-sales/can-acoustic-and-electronic-drum-samples-be-layered-together-in-ezdrummer-2/

Superior Drummer 3...Yes
https://www.toontrack.com/forum/product-manager-support/layering-a-third-party-sample/

FXPansion BFD3..you can create muli-sample/velocity kit pieces..but only single articulation
https://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals/bfd3/operationmanual/importing_samples.htm

XLN AUDO Addictive Drums 2
You can do linking and layering with Flexi slots..then adjust velocity range..
I haven't done this myself..but there are a lot of members here using AD2

This is where the STRIKE module shines...you can build instruments with multiple articulations/velocity layers
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:29:52 PM by Chaser »

Offline VandalX

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »
Well, I guess that's why it's called "EZ!" And it also explains the price difference between EZ and Superior. I will give the others a try to see what suits me best. Does anyone know where I can find a Steven Slate 4 demo? Their website only allows purchase, but no demo version.

Thanks for all the info!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »
Well, I guess that's why it's called "EZ!" And it also explains the price difference between EZ and Superior. I will give the others a try to see what suits me best. Does anyone know where I can find a Steven Slate 4 demo? Their website only allows purchase, but no demo version.

Thanks for all the info!

Sweetwater is one place I know of.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline VandalX

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 01:52:43 AM »
I couldn't find a demo version available on Sweetwater for SSD4, so I downloaded the AD2 demo and played with it in Reaper. The demo kit is quite limited (kick, snare, hi hat, and one crash), but at least I can play with the workflow and see what tweaks I can make with it. I ended up adding AD2 and EZ2 to a Reaper project to play with that type of layering. Fun stuff.

I think I'll be picking up AD due to the (apparent) flexibility and control that isn't as apparent in EZ. Plus, at $149 with three adpaks included, I feel it's a good value. And they have a Ludwig Vistalite kit, so that's a no-brainer for me!

I'll give SSD4 a try if they ever offer up a demo.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
I thought they had a demo download at the SSD site itself, but maybe not. I kinda gave up on the VST idea for now, liking how dependable my module is, and that it sounds pretty darned good through the PA.

I also downloaded the free demo of AD2 and I think I like how it would work with a full version. You're right... it's kind of hard to tell from the demo, but given what all the 149 deals come with... it seems like it would be a really flexible system for the price.

Offline VandalX

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
Yeah, AD2 seems to have all the sounds I'd like to achieve, mainly the Ludwig Vistalite and the "Blue Oyster" kit. I'm finding the USB audio interface (Behringer UMC404HD) to be really useful, even with my paltry Macbook Air. It certainly wasn't built for audio processing, but with an external box to drive the sound, it's close to latency-free.

EZ Drummer is fun and sounds great, but it's limited in its functionality, insofar as laying and ease-of-use to adjust individual drums. I'm sure that's just my limited knowledge of how to use VSTs, but I'm finding AD to be more full featured and easy to use. Maybe. In any case, it works and I'll jump in with both feet. 

I'll be looking into SSD5 once it's released. Hopefully they will offer a demo.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
Yes, EZ is meant to have less option for sake of ease. More option = easier to get confused. So it's a nice option for folks who might not be too fussy about the sound of each individual piece.

AD2 has a lot more to offer for sound shaping, trigger control, etc. which, with it's lower price-point, makes it more in line with my needs, if I were to go that route. I'd probably also be using the Behringer.

For me though... I'd be more inclined to go with the base pack deal that comes with the two Fairfax kits along with Black Velvet. They seem to have nailed it for me there.

I used to play Vistalites in high school!

I have a hard time parting with all of the non-drum kit sounds that the module includes. I've never tried the MKIIs, but my previous DM10 has some awesome stuff to choose from - and a LOT of it!

Have an ultra-long gig tomorrow, playing a set, then the other band, then us, then them... three sets each - each set being 45 minutes. Last year the same gig was my last gig with my Yamaha acoustic kit, so this almost marks my one year anniversary with my DM10.

The drummer from the other band is always wanting me to let him play my drums during gigs. I haven't let him yet. Too many times in the past have guest drummers broken something - and this time they would almost need an initiate course to know how I have things set up - and still... it took me a while to learn how to play these compared to my acoustic kit.

So I know tomorrow he's going to be trying to out drum me, and might even want the sound guy to make his drums sound better than mine. We'll see how that goes. So far, however, when sound guys get to my kit, they LOVE how it sounds through their PA, and LOVE how easy it is for them to get that amazing sound... so I'm not worried! :)

What worries me is when weather turns bad and/or when we have these guess sound folks. If I'm running VST, there's more things to try and keep from getting wet. What if something goes wrong with the laptop during the gig? Thoughts like these are what have kept me away from investing in the VST route so far, though I want to invest as I can, like during summer months, perhaps. But then there's the reliability of my DM10 module, making me want to invest on more pads and a midi interface instead. We'll see where my mind goes when I have the extra funds in hand! ;)

Love your posts on the subject, because I'm brand new to all of this too (after 37 years of playing for money with acoustic kits)

Offline VandalX

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »
A live, outdoor gig would be a fun challenge to troubleshoot (I'm a theatre tech person on occasion). I think I'd probably take an Anvil road case and build all the components into it so weather couldn't reach all my precious electronics. Drill out some ports for the cabling that can be grommeted with rubber to keep out the rain/dust/beer. I'm not at that point yet, but it's fun to think about.

As a live sound tech, I appreciate the ease-of-use and lack of mic prep with e-drums. I'm sure your sound guys know that they have you all locked in and can focus on the problems with the guitars!

Yeah, the AD libraries are pretty cool. I can see myself adding more as time and treasure allow. I'm definitely looking for a Bonham/Mitchell/Moon sound for my practice. Up until December, I hadn't played in years, so this has been a really fun and exhilarating adventure. Now I get to blend my love for drums with my sound design tinkering without driving myself crazy. I always hated tuning my drums to get a good sound, and forget about mics- expensive, delicate and temperamental.

Good luck with your gig!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
As we set up our drum sets, side-by-side, for yesterday's gig, I had a great conversation with the drummer from the other band, who was (once again) very interested in my kit.

I took the opportunity to tell him the truth about why I never let him come up and play a song or two during our gigs. Nothing personal, but I'd prefer we first got together in our studio to first get initiated with how "I" play it and how I have it set up to play, etc.,

He agreed, understanding the major differences between an "You see what you get" acoustic kit and a trigger-driven e-kit.

Side by side the kits sounded great, or so I was told. I couldn't hear mine. At the end of the gig he was saying how much he wants to try a new Strike kit. He's a great drummer and would be fun to add him to our community of Alesis drummers! ;)

Offline VandalX

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:38:06 AM »
I think playing, or allowing someone TO play a personal drum set is akin to letting someone ride your motorcycle. I never let anyone ride my KLR, and most couldn't anyway due to its high seat/ride height. Maybe I could jack up my drum throne to keep curious acoustic players from bashing away.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
I've only really "shared" my kit on one occasion.  We were playing an outdoor gig last April, and it was a joint effort with our band and one other.  We played an opening set, the other band played in the middle, and we closed the gig out with a third small set.  We came to an agreement that my kit would be used for the entire show. 

I knew the other drummer was an acoustic drummer, and I knew that he rarely mics his entire kit because he beats the hell out of the drums.  So we set up a meeting with both bands during a rehearsal so he could try out my DM10.  He had played electric once or twice before, so he recognized the fact he didn't have to destroy the pads to get a good sound. 

Luckily, he remembered all of this, and it worked out well.  We're coming up on the same event this year, and both bands are playing again.  It's structured a bit differently this year, though, so we're playing at separate ends of the event.  But I wouldn't have any reservations about sharing again. 

That's not to say I'd let ANYONE just come up and play, though.  Certainly not just some Joe out of the crowd.  The only other person that plays my kit is our bandleader's son when he comes into town.  He knows what he is doing also, though, and I figure with the bandleader there, my kit's safe.  If something happens to the kit, we don't have drums for the next gig!

--
Shawn