Author Topic: Using MIDI IN + USB OUT DM10  (Read 1775 times)

Using MIDI IN + USB OUT DM10
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
Hi I was just wondering something.

If you plugged a keyboard into the MIDI IN on a DM10 module, and then plugged the USB into a computer, would you be able to play and record both the drum midi AND the keyboard midi simultaneously in a VST?  Would they be on different tracks?

Offline AlanK

Re: Using MIDI IN + USB OUT DM10
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure as long as you've got your DM10 set for midi passthrough, and the keyboard is using a different channel for output, your vst(s) will see them separately. I've got my DM10X midi'd into Addictive Drums, and I've installed the Addictive Keys demo and we have a Yamaha keyboard with midi out, I'll try to test this theory.. I just wonder if a) my pc has enough memory to process all that and b) if I'm even able to run two vst progs at the same time on the one pc (assuming I've got enough ram and hd space etc, I'm not sure if XLN Addictive products will run simultaneously on the same machine but worth checking). Now I'm wondering if I can run them both, plus fire up my Ableton recording software and see if both the drums and the keyboards are loadable into midi tracks.

On the other hand, if you're using the newer midi usb connections, you could plug both the keys and the drums into your computer directly and not have to piggyback.. but I use an audio interface with one midi input so I'd have to use the pass through option. Will let you know if I get a chance to test this idea. But yeah, should be doable
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Corvidae

Re: Using MIDI IN + USB OUT DM10
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
Just make sure the keyboard and drums are using different MIDI channels (drums are typically 10, keyboards I think are 1 by default), set MIDI on the module to THRU instead of just OUT, and you should be good.