Author Topic: Cannot get a stable MIDI signal from my Alesis DM Lite kit on my computer.  (Read 5312 times)

Hi,

I would like to use my DM Lite kit to controle VST instruments on my computer (Addictive Drums 2). But when I tried I could not get a MIDI signal from my kit. I used MIDI-Ox to see what happens and I can get a signal for a few seconds to a few minutes (Timing clock messages scrolling down) but then the signal stops randomely and I cannot get it back unless I plug the usb cable out and restart MIDI-Ox. I tried several USB ports on my computer but none of them is working. But when I tried on my friend's computer it worked perfectly. The only thing I can imagine is that it does not work on USB 3.0 ports (my computer only has this kind of port) but it sounds very unlikely...

Do you have any idea on this problem ?

Thanks a lot !

Cyril

Online AlanK

Re: Cannot get a stable MIDI signal from my Alesis DM Lite kit on my computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »
http://www.noterepeat.com/articles/pc-troubleshooting/95-troubleshooting-class-compliant-usb-computer-peripherals

check out the bottom section, Other Factors..in case there's a clue there.. have no idea if USB 3.0 doesn't work, but that's also a possibility but I can't imagine why.. midi is just data being sent, speed shouldn't affect
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:14:56 PM »
Thank you for your quick answer. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything helpfull there ... My device pass the test. It is recognized succefully by my computer and by the softwares I am using, but I still can't receive MIDI from it.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Thank you for your quick answer. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything helpfull there ... My device pass the test. It is recognized succefully by my computer and by the softwares I am using, but I still can't receive MIDI from it.

Are you sure that you use MIDI channel no. 10 on your computer/in Addictive Drums to receive the correct MIDI notes? This should then be shown in MIDIox.

Well in MIDI-ox when the Timing Clock message is scrolling down, the channel "RT" seems to be used. But when I hit a pad I can see the channel n° 10 flashing yes.

Offline vaikl

Well in MIDI-ox when the Timing Clock message is scrolling down, the channel "RT" seems to be used. But when I hit a pad I can see the channel n° 10 flashing yes.

Which MIDI in port/driver are you using for MIDIox? Sometimes in older Win versions the MIDI in port for the DM10 is wrongly named as something like "..audio device".

I think the port is correctly named, I use "Alesis DM Lite" MIDI input.

A guy from Alesis told me it could come from my USB ports but he doesn't seem to have any proposal to fix my problem  :P

Offline vaikl

A guy from Alesis told me it could come from my USB ports but he doesn't seem to have any proposal to fix my problem  :P

Could be an USB issue on your comp (or simply USB cables?), but this is not an item for a forum without seeing and testing your system. Try to find out the differences between your comp and the working system of your friend. And search for USB problems on Windows systems, there should be tons of them  :P

Alright I will look into that. If I find anything usefull I will notice it in this topic in case someone else have the same problem.

Thank you again :)

Offline Trondster

Could it be power savings on your computer? Often USB ports will shut down if they don't get any signals for a little while. Try connecting your laptop to a power supply while testing, and try checking the computer power settings.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

all though i am new i have done some reading and have had this exact experience.
what pc and how old is it?
i have an older laptop running vista, i tried to hook my dm10 up to that AND NO WAY WAS IT HAPPENING.
the laptop is so far outa date and the drivers suck that the dm10 wouldnt evenfinish downloading the drivers..
so i bought new laptop with win10 and 4g of ram
and holy crap!!! BOOM
instantly worked..
me being newb..dont know how much this post will help but i had the same thing going on
my laptop was just not up to the task.
might i suggest as suggested above, adjust all setting on laptop, remove all power saving modes, close and disable any and all programs that run upon startup or in back ground.
and most important update any and all drivers if possible..
my problem was simple..my crap was to crappy needed to upgrade.
have you checked to see if your running conflicting programs? ie two fighing for control of the system?
sometimes computers are stupid and its something totally simple messing with you.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:52:18 PM by thedank1 »

Thank you very much for your suggestions guys but unfortunatly that didn't work neither. I managed to disabled the power saving on USB ports, I plugged the power supply, I checked on my drivers and they are all updated, had no other programs running .... And btw my computer is not old I bought it juste 3 years ago. And it does work on my friend's computer which is way much older than mine.

I think I'm just beeing unlucky here. Not much to do I guess

Thank you anyway :)

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »
Just a follow up in case anyone searches and finds this topic; I believe the problem is the USB3 ports that you are using.  I had the same problem but I'm lucky enough to have USB2 on the back of my PC.  These work just fine, USB3 stops working after 5 minutes and sometimes doesn't even start working.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »
Just a follow up in case anyone searches and finds this topic; I believe the problem is the USB3 ports that you are using.  I had the same problem but I'm lucky enough to have USB2 on the back of my PC.  These work just fine, USB3 stops working after 5 minutes and sometimes doesn't even start working.

USB3 is completely backward compatible to USB2, so any problem would be related to bad hardware or a driver setup issue.