Author Topic: DM10X Shell deepening mod  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Dobly

DM10X Shell deepening mod
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:53:57 AM »
I deleted most of this post. A change of plan is afoot. The process below was too complex and messy.

I ended up doing it this way after all. Was pretty simple once I got started.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:21:44 PM by Dobly »

Re: DM10X Shell deepening mod
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy some cheap toms and cut them to the required size? You can get 2 pads out of each tom, with all the lugs, etc you need...

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy some cheap toms and cut them to the required size? You can get 2 pads out of each tom, with all the lugs, etc you need...

You are right.. Guess I was just of the mind that needed to use the original shell.. This process is pretty simple, that is unless you don't take enough care pegging the hoops..

I will find some cheap toms and do it that way.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »
Ok. I did it hard way after all. If I did this again I'd just get an old 12" drum from some place and cut the shell in too.

I had however gone too far with this method to turn back.

My plan for my snare is to have a metal snare drum. I don't have the know how to actually make a metal drum so I thought a metal wrap would do the trick.

I searched around for suitable and cheap wrap, or contact, or auto carbon fibre stuff.. I could not find anything at looked metal enough..  Then my 11 year old said to me ... "Dad, why don't you find a big tin and use that to make the wrap. Brilliant.. While the idea was good sourcing a tin that big was not possible without buying a huge tin of something I did not need. So I opt for thin galvanized metal.

The clips are from the embroidery hoops I used above. On there they are bolted at each end of the wrap and right through the shell. They hold it down. The gold bolts running from one to the other do nothing. They are there for looks. :)

I have a good idea for the lugs that will finish this metal look. More later.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:19:28 AM »
With the finished drum looking like this..

.. the inside now look like this..

Like before I have the side mounted piezo (fulcrum) setup. I'm using neoprene and larger piezos on this now.

Those side bolts were a task to make. I had to cut the top off some M6 allen bolts and add new thread to the bar top end..,

I bought an approriate M6 die

Two hours later.

The first one took me 40 minutes. The last one under 10. Good thing I got the hang of it. I'm going to mod all my drums so I have 24 more of these bolts to make.

Also, I added a metal plate under the rim piezo. This is responding much better now.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
wow, what an incredible project, Dobly! very impressive.. now I want a tap and die set too! hahaha I don't know what I'd do with it but I just know I'm gonna thread some rod sometime in the future  ;D
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
I started a new job that is keeping a little busy from tinkering with my DM10X kit... But there has been progress..

The 10" Shells are now much taller.

I have ordered the new wrap. Just hope it arrives well before my next show in 2 weeks time.

These 10" are fully assembles just awaiting wrap. The two 12" floor toms have had their shells done but I'm working on the insides now.

More on this project soon.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
Bravo, Dobly... Bravo!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dobly

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 12:02:57 AM »
Bravo, Dobly... Bravo!!!

Thanks Dartanback...

I case you missed it there are images of the finished project in the Sight and Sound forum.

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7529.msg50537#new

I am thrilled how it all turned out.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
Yeah... I saw that one first, then checked out how you did it here. Fantastic!
Speaking of Fantastic, I've now seen this thread on how you built the new version of your 2 MTMMMES multipads!!! Woot!!!

Rock On, man!!!
Check out the whole post of this amazing kit over here
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline VandalX

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:30:38 AM »
This is a fantastic project! Love the back story of the Oyster Pearl set, and the inventiveness of your modded kit. It's an inspiration to me as a newly minted e-drum user. After decades of playing acoustic drums, this new world is certainly exciting and lots of fun.

I'm in the process of redoing all my triggers (larger piezos and upgraded wiring), and will be doing cosmetic stuff down the line. Your post has given me some wonderful ideas to explore- thank you!

Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.