Author Topic: (Another) DIY DM10x Mesh Conversion  (Read 6362 times)

(Another) DIY DM10x Mesh Conversion
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
Hello,

I am new to the site, I have had the DM10x for almost a year now. It has been a great practice tool! I finally decided to upgrade to mesh heads after reading up on all the various options. I wanted to share my find with everyone.

The first attempt I tried was using Remo Silentstroke mesh heads and the 5mm EVA foam purchased from hobby lobby. You can just place this foam on top of the stack for all the sizes toms/bassdrum. While it did quiet the pads down slightly, it still had an annoying clicky sound and the stick feel is still an overly dead feeling.

I worked as an engineer in the medical field dealing with foams, plastics and adhesives for over 10 years, there are many excellent options for foam/rubber materials in the industry. However, I wanted to find an inexpensive one that was readily available for anyone (not industry only). I found the strangest source for an excellent material to go under the mesh heads. It is a yoga mat that can be found at Walmart or Amazon etc. It is a 5mm natural rubber and PER mix, called WarriorMat. One roll cost $29 , but can easily do 2  DM10x sets (share with a friend?). I just placed the foam on top of the stack, placed the mesh head over it and it worked perfect. Did not have to adjust sensitivity at all, perfect response on all drums. I have to say it has the best stick feel (and double-pedal feel) of any e-drums I have tried (for note I can't stand the screen-door-feeling mesh drums like the roland etc). One added note, if you look close it does give a nice aesthetic honeycomb look under the mesh as well ;).  Pics attached.   

Offline AlanK

Re: (Another) DIY DM10x Mesh Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:20:21 PM »
That looks great, Jer. And hey, your purchase of the mat triggered the planting of a tree, so bonus points   8)

So with this method, you've left the steel plate with the piezo left mounted underneath, correct? I'm using the mesh, cone and piezo above the plate and yet I'm tempted to try your method to see which I prefer.. not so keen on the tennis racket bounce, and if this way is more realistic and quieter even, I'm sold
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »
Correct, I left all the original internals in the original positions. I simply put the new foam on top of the stack and added the mesh heads. imo It has a much better feel, more similar to a practice pad with slightly less rebound.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:13 AM »
Anyone looking to do this - Target online currently has the correct mat on sale for $13.99 + Free Shipping  -  everywhere else is $33.99 or more.  Make sure to choose the crimson color (teal is $39.99)

http://www.target.com/p/natural-fitness-warrior-yoga-mat-crimson-5mm/-/A-16750582?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Sports+Shopping&adgroup=Yoga%20Mats_SC&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9009988&gclid=CM7Q8Me_4dACFRaBswodevcPIw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get them while they last - can't wait to try this mesh conversion.  Thanks jer.

Neil

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »
@jer - How's the noise levels and rebound on with this conversion? How does it compare to just the Silentstroke mesh?
Yamaha DTXtreme III with DIY drum pads

Offline ap

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »
I just completed this conversion on my DM10 Studio kit and I am very pleased with the results. I used the exact yoga mat recommended, but instead of Remo, I used the Pearl MFH mesh heads because they were cheap. See http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/pearl-mfh-mesh-tom-head-for-rhythm-traveler-drum?rNtt=pearl%20mesh&index=2.

I was drawn to this approach because of the minimal amount of pad disassembly. The feel is great -- really great. It feels much more like a real drum than the mylar heads, in my opinion. The triggering is just fine - I didn't need to change any of my module settings. The acoustic sound is reduced enough so I don't hear the click (especially with the kick) through my headphones anymore. Because of all of this, I'm enjoy playing even more now.

I'd recommend this approach. If for no other reason than, if it doesn't satisfy you, then you are only out the money for the yoga mat and can still pursue another DIY mesh conversion approach.

@jer: Thanks so much for the original instructions.

Disclaimer: I have been drumming for 30+ years, but I'm not professional and I don't play outside my home. I play for my own enjoyment so I can't say how this conversion would hold up with rigorous use.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:05:51 PM by ap »

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Hey brand new here. Would this work with a dm10 studio kit?

Thanks !

Offline ap

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »
I did the conversion on a DM10 Studio and I am still happy with it.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
AP, many thanks.  Seem to be so many complicated ways of doing this, and I attracted by the simplicity of this method. I’ll give it a shot.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
Hello Folks, I'm new here and tried the mod on a DM10x with a different twist.  I installed an Evans SoundOff 12" instead of the yoga mat as described above.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SO12?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4IviwaOP2AIVil9-Ch0yawGVEAQYBCABEgKetfD_BwE

I was not able to compare it using the yoga mat and if someone can has an opinion or can test this, would like to know the results.

I definitely know its quieter but as far as comparing it with any other mods, this is my first so I'm afraid I can't provide any comparisons.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:15:36 PM by roadyx »

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Roadyx, how did it work?  Any need for further mods?  I’m looking for as plug and play as can be. Did you need to change settings in the module?

Thanks!

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:15:02 PM »
I would also like to know how this worked out. I have to replace some foam soon(it's been eaten away) and if this worked , that would be great. Did you have to remove the foam that was eaten away and then put this on, or just put it on over the eaten foam?

Hello Folks, I'm new here and tried the mod on a DM10x with a different twist.  I installed an Evans SoundOff 12" instead of the yoga mat as described above.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SO12?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4IviwaOP2AIVil9-Ch0yawGVEAQYBCABEgKetfD_BwE

I was not able to compare it using the yoga mat and if someone can has an opinion or can test this, would like to know the results.

I definitely know its quieter but as far as comparing it with any other mods, this is my first so I'm afraid I can't provide any comparisons.

Thanks!
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 07:24:30 PM »
This worked perfectly for me. Pearl mesh heads and the Evans muffler. The install was not that difficult. I just inserted the foam and replaced the mylar head. No need to mess with trigger settings or anything.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »
This worked perfectly for me. Pearl mesh heads and the Evans muffler. The install was not that difficult. I just inserted the foam and replaced the mylar head. No need to mess with trigger settings or anything.

Hi, Thanks for the info! Did you remove the foam that was disintegrating before putting the new pad in?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.