Author Topic: Old out of shape basement hack drummer!  (Read 2531 times)

Old out of shape basement hack drummer!
« on: August 01, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
Hey everyone!  As the title says I'm an old(er) basement drummer who just bought a used DM10 Pro Studio.  It was missing a few things: bass pad and pedal, & crash cymbal.  I've since purchased a Yamaha kick pad, Tama pedal, DM6 cymbal, Gibraltar throne, and the 632 Drums mesh heads.

All I'm really hoping to do is bang around without pissing off the family.  I played in high school in the percussion section of marching and symphonic band, and I've had kits on and off for a number of years.

What I'd like to do is duplicate the sound of Phil Collins' gated reverb kits from the 80s & 90s.  Can anyone point me to resources that will help with this?  I realize I need to add 2 more toms and some cymbals - which means another brain and Midi cords.  Or I could use the rim triggers.

Thoughts?  Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!

Rick

Offline Iggford

Re: Old out of shape basement hack drummer!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
I'm actually in the same process of trying to replicate that very kit.  I've not had any luck so far with getting the settings just right, but I'm still working on it.

As far as adding two more toms, you can split any of the dual-zone inputs on your DM10.  I currently have 15 different pads connected to mine.  So far, I've split everything except the tom inputs.  It works really well in my opinion!

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »
Here is a good video on how to make  a splitter cable

https://youtu.be/gUoGB3hMa1s

Modified! Hellfire is correct. No resistor needed. My bad.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:24:51 AM by Dobly »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:12 PM »
Here is a good video on how to make  a splitter cable

https://youtu.be/gUoGB3hMa1s

The resistor is not needed when using Alesis modules. That splitter in that video is very specific to Roland Vdrums modules. A standard stereo to two mono spitter can be used with the Alesis DM10. Like this one:

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find the gated reverb sounds for the kit?  The info on splitting the inputs is good.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find the gated reverb sounds for the kit?

FYI, there are several preset gated reverb effects in the DM10 module that can be applied to any of the instrument voices, although some of the other 'non-gated' reverbs sound better imo.
Check the Ops manual (p-13) for selecting a preset RVB type and you can tweak the required FX reverb amount for each kit instrument (p-10).
Maybe also try some of the other FX and COMP presets for your preferred instrument sound/s.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:57:48 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »
Thanks!  I'll give it a try.