Author Topic: Alesis Strike with double pedal; having issues with positioning with Hi-Hat/ped  (Read 1161 times)

Offline cleverest

I have a Strike Kit (non-pro) - Is it just me or am I not doing this correctly? I can get the double pedal positioned nicely, OR the hi-hat w/ pedal, but when I try to do both, it's a mess, cramping up, feeling awkward...I haven't used a double bass pedal in like 20 years, literally....do I need to replace my hi-hat stand with something better? I can't spend a lot...I got the Mapex $99 double pedal for this and a $59 hi hat stand. What does some of your set ups look like that work well? Can someone share photos? Thanks!

- Brett

Offline Iggford

I bought a Pearl P932 double bass pedal, and wanted my pedals to match, so I picked up an H930 hi-hat stand.  They fit together really well, but the legs on the H930 swivel, so it makes it SO much easier to get it in place around the double pedal.  I would imagine any hi-hat stand that allows the legs to turn will work for you, though. 

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

Hey Brett, yeah having loads of pedal in the mix can be a tight squeeze. I finally found a two leg hi-hat stand on sale and got it, helps a lot. My other kit has a 3 legged hi-hat but at least ther legs can swivel so I've offset them to fit my foot in there.. I've had rigid 3 legged stands that are hard to cram the double kick pedal in beside. Hear you on the budget thoughts.. I found my 2 legged stand (think it's a Tama) reg over 200 bucks on clearance for 120 or so.. just a lucky find. Also, I've jammed my hi-hat pedal and the left kick pedal pretty much beside eachother, with just a slight gap between them to keep them from catching on eachother or my foot.

DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline cleverest

Thanks guys! That photo was really helpful. I need to re-organize by hi hat/stand positioning...I have my hi hat stand outside of the rack..I do feel it's too far...and I didn't know you could bend the ends of the center metal bar between the double-pedal to angle it! (slaps head).

Great food for thought...

Anyways, I have to wait for a replacement pedal anyways, as my left pedal arrived with the left chain attached in the right place, but running forward to the front footboard instead of running OVER the back...odd...no idea how that could have happened.

Alan, do you have a photo of your pedal set up you could share? If it's not a huge hassle...

Offline Iggford

The connector bar between my pedals has the ends on a flexible joint, so it moves pretty freely in any direction.  I assumed they all worked that way (bad on my part), but this is the only double pedal I've had any experience with.

--
Shawn

Offline cleverest

The connector bar between my pedals has the ends on a flexible joint, so it moves pretty freely in any direction.  I assumed they all worked that way (bad on my part), but this is the only double pedal I've had any experience with.

--
Shawn

To be fair, mine probably does have that joint, I just didn't notice it...once I get my replacement I'll try to make it work better. :-)

Offline cleverest

I bought a Pearl P932 double bass pedal, and wanted my pedals to match, so I picked up an H930 hi-hat stand.  They fit together really well, but the legs on the H930 swivel, so it makes it SO much easier to get it in place around the double pedal.  I would imagine any hi-hat stand that allows the legs to turn will work for you, though. 

--
Shawn

Hey Shawn, I wanted to ask you also, is the Gen 16 Hi Hat worth it? Say Vs. the Stock or the VH-11? Is it significantly better?

Also, I noticed that the BOW sounds on my Alesis Hi-Hat is way more sensitive the strikes ON THE LOGO then the supposed-correct side, although I can only trigger the EDGE side on the opposite side, but I'd rather have consistent sounds (just bow) vs. the occasional edge so I'm playing on the logo. I've heard that's a defect, should I contact Alesis about it or just wait until I can get the Gen 16's? :-) One last question are they accoustically loud when you whack on them? Noise is a factor where I live...

Offline Iggford

Hey Shawn, I wanted to ask you also, is the Gen 16 Hi Hat worth it? Say Vs. the Stock or the VH-11? Is it significantly better?

Also, I noticed that the BOW sounds on my Alesis Hi-Hat is way more sensitive the strikes ON THE LOGO then the supposed-correct side, although I can only trigger the EDGE side on the opposite side, but I'd rather have consistent sounds (just bow) vs. the occasional edge so I'm playing on the logo. I've heard that's a defect, should I contact Alesis about it or just wait until I can get the Gen 16's? :-) One last question are they accoustically loud when you whack on them? Noise is a factor where I live...

Ok, so the Gen16s...  I will first say that I wouldn't trade my hi-hat for anything.  I really like the dynamics of the acoustic cymbal.  I have used the stock hats, the stock hats with the GoEdrum controller and the VH-11 hat and controller as well.  For me, the Gen16s won out because I got used to playing them.  I forced myself to work with the settings until I had it sounding the way I wanted it.  So it IS possible to get everything you want out of it.

The problem with the Gen16 pack is that the entire pack, which also includes the crash and ride, is pretty steep in price.  And I don't use the other two cymbals (not yet anyway).  But, if you buy just the hats, you still have to get the digital pickup and the cymbal processor to use them as intended.  For me, it was just better to get the whole set.  And I may eventually sit down with the other two cymbals and try to get something out of them.

With all of that said, I do LOVE my Gen16 hi-hat.  Acoustically, it IS louder than the electronic hat.  The crash and ride are even a bit louder.  But none of them are near as loud as a fully acoustic cymbal or hat.  Last week, I was having some buzzing in the pickup with our PA.  Couldn't explain it or figure it out, so I unplugged and went full acoustic with the hat.  No mic or anything, and it was still very audible from the crowd.  To be honest, I only usually have it connected so that it will come out on our multi-track recordings that we mix down after the shows, but it does come through the PA with my drum mix for added sound.  I connect the pickup into the processor, then out to my Aux in port on my Strike module.  I've got a good mix worked out for the setup. 

I would never turn anyone away from the Gen16s, but I just feel it is necessary to warn about them not being just plug and play in all situations. 

As for the stock hat issue you mentioned, my original hat did the same thing.  I actually use it with my practice kit (DM10 Studio that I transport my Strike module to).  I have it turned around to the logo side for the same reason.  But that is a defect, I was sent a replacement that did work.  Since I switched to the Gen16 hat, though, I'm using the Strike hat as a splash.  FYI, I had to do the same with my ride.  I would occasionally get some double triggering on the edge that they wanted to pinpoint to a similar issue.  So you may see that pop up.  But both my replacements work great.

Hopefully that helps!!

--
Shawn

Offline cleverest

Cool, great info, thank you for writing all that. I requested replacement hats...I figure, why the heck not? :-)

Offline Iggford

No problem at all! :)

Absolutely, if they're not working 100%, get them replaced!  You never know, even if you switch to another hat, you may end up having or wanting to use them again at some point, and you'll need working pads.

--
Shawn